Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Barren River Conditions

Hi all, I read a few very disturbing reports that the water temp is in the mid 60's and the spawn is in full swing now at Barren, that doesn't sound right to me at all. Someone that's been there in the past couple days please tell me this isn't true! I am headed down for the first time on Friday.

Post Thanks / Like
    No Barren River Lake reports? Just looking for water temp and general spawn activity if any.

Post Thanks / Like

same question

I was wondering the same. Anyone have anything on the bass at barren?

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't heard much about the bass yet, but guys are hammering the crappie. So if ya go, it might not be a wasted trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fished the main lake area Wed water was in the mid to low 60's, 2+ ft clarity and caught fish with eggs on staging areas. Most likely upper areas with shallows warming quicker has some bedding bass, but they don't all spawn the same time so I'd look for them coming and going to the spawning areas. Saw some bass Fish & Wildlife electro shocked and their tails and fins looked like they had been fanning. Side note with the water still rising there was a lot of debris floating in the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Results

Fished the morning and caught very few fish. Mostly caught on spinner baits and some texas rigged back in the coves. Very little activity. Didn't see anyone catch a fish besides a crappie all day. Had a Power pack go out around 10 so that was the day. All in all a complete waste of a trip. No idea why the lake was so low this late but it really screwed things up. I would like to know what the winning weight of the tourney down there was. All the locals were fishing deep ledges with drop shots I think.

Side note the crappie must have been biting pretty good in some spots. talked to a few guys that were fishing what little cover we could find and they weren't doing good but the guy in the campsite next to us caught 39 on Saturday fishing rock walls on the main. Water temp was 62 in the morning and 68 in the afternoon. Lots of floating wood and crap in the water. Should have gone to the big C I guess. I hear they are doing pretty good down there.

Post Thanks / Like
    The bass fishing was good but not the best I was in one of the 2 day tournaments there and I got 13.46 pounds in 2 days but it was not enough to do any good first had close to 30 pounds. Sunday they had 17 pounds of it . we had 15 or 16 boats all together and everybody caught em I got all mine in 8 foot to 30 feet of water the bait was watermelon red flake rage craws on a 1/2 ounce shakey head

Post Thanks / Like
    Fished a small club tourny on sat. Had 16lbs and won! All my bass came from less than 8 feet. Caught several 14 1/2" on flats with wood. Bigger fish were right outside those flats. Had to slow down and drag baits in that 6-8" range to get my bigger fish. Had two over 4lbs. Missed big bass of tourny by .20