Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

taylorsville lake

Going in the morning. Anybody been in the last couple of days? Water condition? have the bass moved up shallow yet? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Was there Thurs .... Crappie fishing. Lake at Summer Pool (according to COE website) but looked low from the perspective of the washed out banks. Main lake water temps were 58 & shoreline temps were 60-61 early, but around 65 by 430PM. Water looked a little more "brown" than the usual "green" coloration I'm used to ... but, it was clear enough to see down a foot or so. Didn't see many Bass anglers, but PLENTY of Crappie anglers beating the banks. Did accidentally catch one Bass, about 14", on a pink roadrunner clone.
    Caught 10 Crappie, from ~10" to 13" and most of them were still out over about 15fow ... staging females, mostly. Males were darkened up, but not bed sitting just yet.

My guess is the Bass will be all over the banks in a little over a week or so, if the forecast rains of next week don't flood the lake.

I put in at Settler's Trace, around 730AM Thurs ... and the parking lot was almost half full when I got there. It's likely to be even more crowded on a weekend ... so I'd get there as early as possible.

... luck2ya !!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Fished this morning, daylight till 1 or so. Couldn't believe how rude some people were. I literally had people go between my boat and the bank to check their trot lines. Anyways, we bass fished today. Fish were right against the bank, coves and main lake. Water temp was around 63 in different areas, water wasn't muddy at all, and barely stained in other areas. I caught 12, 3 over 16 inches or so buddy caught 6, after he started throwing what I was. Texas rigged craw was the ticket. Watermelon or green pumpkin. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fellas. Appreciate the info! Ill be getting there before first light so i hope to beat the rest. Ill report back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fished Saturday 4/26/14 out of Possum Ridge. I doubt there was a fish for every man that was fishing. Crappie bite was almost non existent. 2 of us caught only about 5 fish using minnows and jigs. No one else was having much luck either.

Post Thanks / Like

Four Alarm CF

Went out yesterday and today, thanks to some backwoods "crappie tournament" the lake was nothing but a four alarm cluster****. I really wish the state park would stop letting them have the entire boat ramp and all the parking for these fiascos. I mean come on man, a 2-day, 300+ boat fishing tourney at Taylorsville, SERIOUSLY????

There.. I feel better now, aside from that afore-mentioned lack of fortune, the fishing was slow to say the least. We trolled for cats on the flats near channel drop-offs and landed a few, nothing major and few and far between. The pressure was unreal, I could sit and watch bass-masters pass each other for a piece of shore and cut each other off just like the on the interstate.. There was nary a single exposed stump without a crappie-master attached to it all the way to Chowning and back.

My next excursion will be to Cumberland, this is the last weekend Taylorsvile will see my rig for awhile, weekdays are bad enough but the weekends are absolutely insane, not to mention a waste of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
    Went out yesterday and today, thanks to some backwoods "crappie tournament" the lake was nothing but a four alarm cluster****.
    LOL .... now you know how us Crappie anglers feel about getting swamped, bounced around, cut off, lines run over, and the "we're in a tournament, so get out of my way/off my spot" attitude by some Bass anglers. And there's a whole lot more Bass tourneys being held on Taylorsville, than Crappie tourneys.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got in and finished cleaning some crappie. Did not get there until 10 and fished til almost 3, kept 13 crappie all being 10 to 13 inches. Had about as many short ones and lost a few more keepers. Caught them all on minnows about 5 feet deep in 15 to 20 ft. of water. Lot of boats out there and was pretty rough fishing some spots with all the waves out there lol! Talked to a lot of bass fishermen and didnt sound to good at all today.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=headbanger;532508]Went out yesterday and today, thanks to some backwoods "crappie tournament" the lake was nothing but a four alarm cluster****. I really wish the state park would stop letting them have the entire boat ramp and all the parking for these fiascos. I mean come on man, a 2-day, 300+ boat fishing tourney at Taylorsville, SERIOUSLY????

I think I heard there were around 80 boats in the crappie tourney. This lake gets enough pressure as is. I think it's unfair that I go out there often winter, spring and fall and summer. When the fish are not easy to catch and only keep 15 if I'm lucky enough to get into them. But someone can put 80 boats on the water, Charge for it and they keep the fish. Not to mention at the tale end of spawn. That is potentially 2340 nine inch fish in one day. I can't be the only crappie guy that sees a problem with that.

There is a reason there is a 9 inch 15 fish limit on that lake. I might be wrong to think like this but i don't like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gocards40;532539]
    Quote Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
    Went out yesterday and today, thanks to some backwoods "crappie tournament" the lake was nothing but a four alarm cluster****. I really wish the state park would stop letting them have the entire boat ramp and all the parking for these fiascos. I mean come on man, a 2-day, 300+ boat fishing tourney at Taylorsville, SERIOUSLY????

I think I heard there were around 80 boats in the crappie tourney. This lake gets enough pressure as is. I think it's unfair that I go out there often winter, spring and fall and summer. When the fish are not easy to catch and only keep 15 if I'm lucky enough to get into them. But someone can put 80 boats on the water, Charge for it and they keep the fish. Not to mention at the tale end of spawn. That is potentially 2340 nine inch fish in one day. I can't be the only crappie guy that sees a problem with that.

There is a reason there is a 9 inch 15 fish limit on that lake. I might be wrong to think like this but i don't like it.
    I'm with you man, if there's one lake I've ever fished that would really benefit from much stricter regulations Taylorsville is it. Sure seemed like a lot more than 80 boats in that "tourney", I had no idea they were keeping the fish though, that is a real slap in the face to anyone who cares about the lake at all. Do they keep all the bass from their "tourneys" as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=headbanger;532558]
    Quote Originally Posted by gocards40 View Post

I'm with you man, if there's one lake I've ever fished that would really benefit from much stricter regulations Taylorsville is it. Sure seemed like a lot more than 80 boats in that "tourney", I had no idea they were keeping the fish though, that is a real slap in the face to anyone who cares about the lake at all. Do they keep all the bass from their "tourneys" as well?
    That's ridiculous.... If they really are keeping the fish they catch in these tourneys I just don't see how that does anything positive for a lake that already has so much fishing pressure as it is. I could see tourney fisherman keeping crappie but surely not largemouth. Can't really talk about stricter creel limits because Tville already has tough ones in place. Maybe regulate the number of tourneys per year but I don't see a change in the future. I used to fish Tville a lot because it was 20 minutes from the house. The frustration of fighting other anglers and pleasure boaters was just to much for me. I fish a couple other lakes now just because Tville was an uphill battle. I'll fish the spring white bass run and toss noodles at night for catfish. Then take some trips in the late fall for crappie. Other than that try to stay off Tville during heavy traffic times. Oh yeah and I forgot about fishing the hybrids in the jumps. That gets crazy as well with about 8 other boats within casting distance. Makes it tough but it's just one of those things you have to learn to deal with on that lake

Post Thanks / Like

Tournaments

I fish a lot of Bass tournaments and haven't heard of a bass tournament letting you keep the bass afterwards in a very long time. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen anymore but I would say I don't believe it happens that often anymore since the 60's. There isn't a law against keeping them but we tournament BASS fishermen understand the importance of catch and release to preserve the fishery. We even penalize the fisherman for poor fish care.