Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Trip with Dad

Hey guys my favorite trip of the year is this weekend. We are going to Green river for the first time to catch some crappie hopefully. It's been a rough week and I need a trip with my dad more than ever now. My best friends dad died suddenly last week at the age of 53 from an enlarged heart... Rough situation. Anyway I really look forward to these trips with my dad because he doesn't really fresh water fish much anymore. He is more into the big blue fish with a goofy looking bill out in the ocean, I don't get it. I was at Barren last week and they were doing pretty good in deeper water off of the cliffs but some of the locals were saying they might be spawning or already done. Does anyone have any ideas or pointers to catch a few down there?

Post Thanks / Like
    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...lmk&gage=grlk2
    look like the water will be high and muddy, may want to think about a smaller body of water this weekend. just saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll send you a PM this afternoon. I caught them really well last saturday but the lake has came up 8-9ft this week an i say it in the bushes a little so itll probably scatter them

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    Hey guys my favorite trip of the year is this weekend. We are going to Green river for the first time to catch some crappie hopefully. It's been a rough week and I need a trip with my dad more than ever now. My best friends dad died suddenly last week at the age of 53 from an enlarged heart... Rough situation. Anyway I really look forward to these trips with my dad because he doesn't really fresh water fish much anymore. He is more into the big blue fish with a goofy looking bill out in the ocean, I don't get it. I was at Barren last week and they were doing pretty good in deeper water off of the cliffs but some of the locals were saying they might be spawning or already done. Does anyone have any ideas or pointers to catch a few down there?
    First time poster. Went yesterday AM. Water was up quite a bit and the dock was under water @ Holmes Bend. I was actually shocked at how clear the water was on the main lake. I was also expecting them to be dropping the water out like crazy. The tail waters were slick as glass when I left. I guess bc of all the rain they got down south. I caught my limit before lunch. And I was thowing back 9inchers. I believe they have spawned or are in the very late stages. I caught most in 15 to 20 ft of water over brush.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. I thought about trying to find another body of water but I feel like everywhere is going to be high and muddy this weekend. If you say Green isn't too bad on the main lake then maybe we'll do alright. We have never fished the lake before. We take a fishing trip every year but normally go to Laurel Lake. Haven't been catching any trout there anymore so we thought we would mix it up. To be honest I have never gone out anywhere targeting specifically crappie. I have always been a bass fisherman. Should be a fun trip even if we don't catch anything but a buzz!

Post Thanks / Like
    If they still aren't letting much water out by then, u will find clean water. Lake report said this AM that lake is 5.5ft over sumer pool so be careful if u have never been there before. Green is a great lake. Beautiful scenery and LOTS of crappie. A lot of small fish though. We have had days where we caught 200+ but still couldn't get our limit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Private message sent.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the insight I will check back on Monday with a report and hopefully a full stomach!! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well ended up not having a very good weekend in terms of fishing at least. Had boat trouble... second weekend trip in a row for those that are counting.... This time it wasn't the boat but more of a series of unfortunate events. Anyway we then all jumped on the rental pontoon that had no depth finder so we couldn't locate the cover at all. Ended up only catching a couple crappie and on good size bass. O Well we will know better for next time. Still had a good time being there with my dad and the lake is beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had 45 keepers yesterday, Holmes Bends area. 10 fow in brush. Fish still have eggs in them.