Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Asian Carp Good Eating!

Here is a comment from a fellow that eats them...

I absolutely love to eat Asian Carp. Of course the "Y" bone does make cleaning them a bit more difficult than most others, but they taste absolutely awesome. I'm going to a tournament in Merom, IN on June 7th and hope to catch (and clean) quite a few.

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/conten...arp-Good-Eatin

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure any you dont clean wind up as turtle food

Post Thanks / Like
    They are a PAIN in the ass to clean, but well worth the effort. I killed and cleaned one last year, and then cleaned a few more on another trip.

They are pretty good, and make better table fare than some of the fish we tend to eat.

I thought they were as good as or better than hybrid...

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Carp Movement

I'm glad that there's been a push to eat Asian Carp. I'm not from rural America so I found it a chance for those who rarely visit other parts of the world to get engaged in international cuisine. I live in California and see carp at the local ethnic market every week. Chinese eat these fish as commonly as Japanese eat blue fin tuna. It seems like 2,000 years of history really found ways to cook this fish. Chinese steam the fish whole. Now steaming is under utilized in America anyway, but you'll need a huge steamer. French make one that uses two sides of the stove. And you throw the fish in with some greens for flavoring. Chinese use a wok rigged with a plate and fish on top, water at the bottom and a cover. It works, I've tried it. The irony is that it's easier to cook this way than even flipping burgers.

Steam your carp and then use a fork and spoon to remove the meat off the bones. Eat it over rice or other vegetable dishes. I learned that the sauces vary. Some regions in China use sweet and sour sauce. In Hong Kong or Canton, they use soy sauce with a little oil. I prefer the soy sauce since I'm Japanese.

In Japan? We don't have this species of fish, but we do have Chinese common carp as a food fish. (Not the expensive prized decorative fish). Traditionally like any other fish, Japanese sushi chefs sliced them up and serve them as sushi.