Search Fishin.com

Thread: Inflatable PFDs

Post Thanks / Like

Inflatable PFDs

Thinking about buying an inflatable PFD...never used one.

Do you like the auto (blows up when it hits the water) or manual (yank a cord) type?

I've heard that the auto models can sometimes blow in the rain or damp, which is a negative.

With the manual kind, if you go overboard and knock yourself out, you aren't able to pull the ripcord...drowning is kind of a negative.

I'm leaning auto.

?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    Thinking about buying an inflatable PFD...never used one.

Do you like the auto (blows up when it hits the water) or manual (yank a cord) type?

I've heard that the auto models can sometimes blow in the rain or damp, which is a negative.

With the manual kind, if you go overboard and knock yourself out, you aren't able to pull the ripcord...drowning is kind of a negative.

I'm leaning auto.

?
    If you go auto, spend the BUCKS and get a good auto. The cheapo versions are not "hydrostatic". When they get wet from rain or humidity, you're replacing the mechanism.

I have the cheapo model, and disabled the auto fire components because I got tired of replacing the mechanism.

ALSO, they don't qualify as a pfd unless you're wearing them. I would have gotten a ticket a couple weekends ago, if I could not produce other PFD's because we were not wearing the inflatables........Fortunately, I keep 2 adult sized PFD's under the seats.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I also first purchased the pull type but like you I got to really thinking about hitting my head,etc and not being able to pull the cord.

Went ahead and bought the auto-inflate and feel much safer.

As Geo posted, they have to be worn to count as a PFD but isn't that the reason to buy the auto?

I wear my auto religiously while on the water. Light weight and you really don't notice you are wearing it.

I've been in a few rain storms with it and it didn't inflate in error. Something about hydrostatic pressure to prevent that.

Isn't your life worth $100.00 or whatever they cost now??

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at this thread.

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...our-life/page2

Consider the Mustang HIT. it won't inflate accidentally. Dave Stewart recents it. What more can I say.

They are pricey. Last summer the best price I could find was at a2o in Clarksville Indiana.

Post Thanks / Like

How much is your life worth? 100, 200 or 300 $?

I wear my life jacket religiously. But if I were to buy an auto inflate type I'd got with the HIT type. Cost of the life jacket vs cost of losing my life is an easy win for life.

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Take a look at this thread.

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...our-life/page2

Consider the Mustang HIT. it won't inflate accidentally. Dave Stewart recents it. What more can I say.

They are pricey. Last summer the best price I could find was at a2o in Clarksville Indiana.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    I also first purchased the pull type but like you I got to really thinking about hitting my head,etc and not being able to pull the cord.

Went ahead and bought the auto-inflate and feel much safer.

As Geo posted, they have to be worn to count as a PFD but isn't that the reason to buy the auto?

I wear my auto religiously while on the water. Light weight and you really don't notice you are wearing it.

I've been in a few rain storms with it and it didn't inflate in error. Something about hydrostatic pressure to prevent that.

Isn't your life worth $100.00 or whatever they cost now??
    I wouldn't want you to ask my wife if my life is worth $100.00 as my son sent her flowers for Mother's Day and since I forgot it I crossed his name out on the card and added mine.