Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Rod Reviews

I'm looking to go to one brand of rods. Right now I have anything from Falcon Cara, St. Croix and BPS Rods. What affordable rod company do you guys favor? Looking to stay in the $150 range. Not interested in the $300 rods. I'm thinking about sticking to the Falcons but the Cara T7's are now $200+. Use to get them for $169 about 3 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have several mixed rods myself, use what feels good to you and what can get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    To name another brand (and temporarily make your situation worse), I have an American Rodsmith's rod that has been my favorite rod for about five years. It is really sensitive for lightweight finesse techniques, Senkos, jigs, etc. The bottom line is to find rods you like, regardless of brand, and fish them like they were $500 per stick and your kid was named after them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can build you some nice rods made to fit you and for specific tactics in that price range. Holler at me if you'd like to give it a try and maybe get away from "cookie cutter" rods and into something custom built for your needs and taste.

Chris
    Reel Cleen--Reel & Rod Service
    Newkirk Custom Rods
    (270) 246-0203
    www.reelcleen.webs.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive heard VERY good reviews on the 13 Fishing Omens. Havent used them, but a lot of guys are swearing by them and theyre well within your price range. Another option are the duckett micro magics. I had several and really liked them. You can find them used under your price range. Most importantly, handle the rods and see what feels best to you

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of Ducketts also (8 footers) and they are among my most prized possessions. But at the time of purchase, so were my Falcons, St Croixs, All Stars, and my Quantum KVD cranking stick. I have no brand loyalty when it comes to rods. When I have a good idea of what exactly I'm looking for, I go shopping and whatever rod I find that best fits my predetermined criteria wins as long as it's within budget and has a respectable warranty. Exactly what is it that you feel is the advantage to buying all the same brand rods?

Post Thanks / Like
    Gloomis GL2's

Post Thanks / Like

Rods

I personally use 13 OMEN rods and have been really pleased with them. Sensitive and lightweight and wont break the bank, also with great customer service and 5 year warranty you cant go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dobyns Savvy series! For a little more the champion line is top notch.

Post Thanks / Like

Denali

is another brand a lot of folks seem to like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hstokes View Post
    I have several mixed rods myself, use what feels good to you and what can get the job done.
    Yes, I agree. #1 what feels good to you and #2 what gets the job done.

I have rods that cost $200+ but my two atf's are a $59 ugly stick spinning rod and a $99 bps carbonlite casting rod. Both are well balanced with a particular reel I have, they feel good in my hand, they get the job done and I don't worry too much about accidently kicking them off the deck or stepping on a line guide. Yes boys, go ahead and admit it, we've all done that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    Yes, I agree. #1 what feels good to you and #2 what gets the job done.

I don't worry too much about accidently kicking them off the deck or stepping on a line guide. Yes boys, go ahead and admit it, we've all done that.
    I'll willingly admit I've done that on more than one occasion. I put my gear through hell sometimes. I use a mixture of rods as well but I've been buying more abu garcia rods and reels lately. Love how smooth the reels are and how tough the rods are. Unfortunately some of my abu set ups are expensive but I'm willingly to shell out some money as long as it's going towards something I love to do.