Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Trailer Bunk Boards

I bought a couple of treated 8' - 2x4s and just finished carpeting them to replace worn bunk boards on my trailer. Has anyone utilized the Bass Pro Shops' E-Z Slide Trailer Pads or Trailer Glyde Sliks that can be applied to carpeted bunk boards to ease launching and loading? I trailer a welded 17.5 foot Lowe Striker. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up those "E-Z slides" for a friend for his pontoon trailer. ?? Mixed results.
    I've read you can spray the bunks with "Pam" cooking oil and get the same results.

I think properly applied carpet will be just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else looking at bunk boards here is a place I found and I am going to order there 9 footers some time this year. I have tried the pads and they do ok. Heres address of the place I found. www.ultimatebunkboards.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Bunk Boards

Whatever you do absolutley do not unhook the bow strap until you are backed in or you're probably not going to like the outcome. Fiberglass & concrete don't mix. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Pads

I have had these on my trailer before. Took them off in a short amount of time. I would drive up on the trailer and the boat would slide back off on it's own unless I kept the motor pushing the boat up the trailor. I want the boat to hold on the trailer when I cut the motor. I like good quality carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRunt View Post
    I bought a couple of treated 8' - 2x4s and just finished carpeting them to replace worn bunk boards on my trailer. Has anyone utilized the Bass Pro Shops' E-Z Slide Trailer Pads or Trailer Glyde Sliks that can be applied to carpeted bunk boards to ease launching and loading? I trailer a welded 17.5 foot Lowe Striker. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Pressure Treated wood and Aluminum boats do NOT go together. There are serious issues with that. I hate to say it, but I'd probably redo the bunks with marine grade or manufactured lumber.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second that. If you have an aluminum boat don't get treated wood near it. Since 2006 thanks to the EPA treated wood now contains copper. Copper, aluminum, and water will make Swiss cheese of your boat. Think Duracell copper top battery. I am told the above situation actually creates a battery that generates electrical current. Add some stray current from your battery or accessories or salt water or salt from a bait tank to the mix and it will even be worse. I put a treated wood deck in my boat and it ruined the boat.

You wouldn't think that the Bunks would really matter. The aluminum live well sitting on top of the carpet on top of the plywood was even affected which to me would be the same situation as bunks.

This happened about two years ago and here is where the boat ended up last week. I got $155 from river City Metals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1687224991.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	7847  

Post Thanks / Like

Trailer Bunk Boards

Ok, thanks. I purchased the 2 x 4s at Lowes so, I will assume from what you and Geofisher said, they are the pressure treated type that I should avoid. Where would I find marine grade wood in the Evansville area? When you say manufactured lumber, is that just regular 2 x 4's? Could I just recarpet the 14 yr old ones currently in use?

Post Thanks / Like

Treated wood bunks

I have some bunk boards that I redid on my Basstracker about three years ago. I rip cut some larger boards down to 2x4 size to use. How would I be able to tell if it was treated wood. I got it from some salvage from my father's estate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, thanks. I purchased the 2 x 4s at Lowes so, I will assume from what you and Geofisher said, they are the pressure treated type that I should avoid. Where would I find marine grade wood in the Evansville area? When you say manufactured lumber, is that just regular 2 x 4's? Could I just recarpet the 14 yr old ones currently in use?
    Last time I just used run of the mill 2x6's. I primed and painted them real well. a paint store should be able to advise on what type of paint. It's a hassle but if you have the time it might be a good idea. Some other type of wood may be better. Call a real lumber yard and ask. Oak comes to mind but that may be so hard it would tear up your boat. Don't know

Post Thanks / Like

Trailer Bunk Boards

Geofisher and Peter:

Update. I stopped in the Kite Lumber store this morning and they were well aware of the problems caused by the copper sulfate treated wood in contact with aluminum. Lowes may have been also, but I did not know to ask at the time. They have a treated wood product called "yellow board" that does not have the chemicals that will react with aluminum. The yellow boards are practically the same price as the other treated lumber. Again, thanks for the much appreciated heads up! I was ready to replace once the Ohio got to a level where I could launched the boat and replaced the carpeted boards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Geofisher and Peter:

Update. I stopped in the Kite Lumber store this morning and they were well aware of the problems caused by the copper sulfate treated wood in contact with aluminum. Lowes may have been also, but I did not know to ask at the time. They have a treated wood product called "yellow board" that does not have the chemicals that will react with aluminum. The yellow boards are practically the same price as the other treated lumber. Again, thanks for the much appreciated heads up! I was ready to replace once the Ohio got to a level where I could launched the boat and replaced the carpeted boards.
    Excellent.............