Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lawrenceburg
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cumberland Stripes

    Heading down tomorrow for a few days, what's the fishing like?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    russell springs
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
    Heading down tomorrow for a few days, what's the fishing like?
    the bite is "ok", not on fire but youll catch fish. tons of debris to deal with, very difficult to pull boards very far without having to pull them in clean them off and re-deploy, you go through A LOT of bait doing this. its geting pretty crowded so dodging the big debris patches is a little more challenging while trying not to cut off the other boats in your area and vice/versa.
    good luck


    p.s. the big drum are on fire like they always are in may

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lawrenceburg
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks man, can't wait!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lawrenceburg
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    the bite is "ok", not on fire but youll catch fish. tons of debris to deal with, very difficult to pull boards very far without having to pull them in clean them off and re-deploy, you go through A LOT of bait doing this. its geting pretty crowded so dodging the big debris patches is a little more challenging while trying not to cut off the other boats in your area and vice/versa.
    good luck


    p.s. the big drum are on fire like they always are in may
    Got plenty of bait and plenty of time so no worries as long as I can keep my lower unit intact

    Do you know where the stripes are right now, should I stick to the main lake or head back in the creeks a bit? I'd like to try to stay fairly close to Jamestown/Lilly creek with all the debris and limit on-plane time as much as possible. Never really fished for drum, any advice?

    Thanks again!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    russell springs
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
    Got plenty of bait and plenty of time so no worries as long as I can keep my lower unit intact

    Do you know where the stripes are right now, should I stick to the main lake or head back in the creeks a bit? I'd like to try to stay fairly close to Jamestown/Lilly creek with all the debris and limit on-plane time as much as possible. Never really fished for drum, any advice?

    Thanks again!

    that question will be answered when your rods go down lol. no seriously they are pretty much anywhere right now, the water temps range in the high 60s so they are comfortable wherever they want to be, typical may patterns. there are some fish in the creeks and plenty of fish on the main lake, you might catch one on the bank and 5 minutes later catch one on the outside board in 70 feet of water, they are roaming and on the move .

  6. #6
    HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    that question will be answered when your rods go down lol. no seriously they are pretty much anywhere right now, the water temps range in the high 60s so they are comfortable wherever they want to be, typical may patterns. there are some fish in the creeks and plenty of fish on the main lake, you might catch one on the bank and 5 minutes later catch one on the outside board in 70 feet of water, they are roaming and on the move .
    Any luck downpoling? And with a couple free lines out the back?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lawrenceburg
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Any luck downpoling? And with a couple free lines out the back?
    A little, but pretty slow and tough fishing alone with all the debris. Caught 4 yesterday with 3 right around 20'' and one 26''.. The keeper came off a downline set at 32', the other three came from boards between 12' and 22'. Nothing yet on the free lines, heading back out this afternoon and in the morning.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Campbellsville
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    short fish

    I had the same issue last weekend with the short stripers. caught 3 in the 20 inch range nothing larger. had nice sized alewives but not so nice sized fish.

    good luck this afternoon n tomorrow

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boards with no weight about 30 feet back in mouth of larger coves off main lake seem to be producing best. Noticed fish lost their bellies (dropped eggs) this past weekend. No early limits for guides out of Grider and bite doesn't seem to pick up until late morning. Good luck!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    russell springs
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider View Post
    Boards with no weight about 30 feet back in mouth of larger coves off main lake seem to be producing best. Noticed fish lost their bellies (dropped eggs) this past weekend. No early limits for guides out of Grider and bite doesn't seem to pick up until late morning. Good luck!

    big ol super brite moon in the sky all night hasnt done anything to help the "right at first light" bite. limited out on 6 good solid 10-12lb keepers this morning in 1 hr, all fish were caught between 800-900 central time. 1 of 6 keepers still had eggs.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lawrenceburg
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fishing was good today, parked on a point early and caught a few spots, couple of smallmouth and a feisty hybrid who decided to sink a treble hook into my thumb for disturbing him. Picked up a couple of big cats after that trolling shiners. Moved to another spot to get away from the debris, ate a sammich and trolled some more, finally picking up two keepers back to back right around 1pm. One hit right when I was picking up the rod to put a board on, scared the poo right out of me that did. Both fish measured right around 26'', this was a good day!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Paris, KY
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's the water clarity and how many debris are there? Can you even get up on plane and run for all the debris? Planning on coming down this weekend, so I was just wanting to get a heads up on what the water will be like. Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Still a few giant stripes left in Cumberland
    By striperwiper in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 07:53 AM
  2. Cumberland stripes 1/3/09
    By JUSTINHALL in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2009, 06:47 PM
  3. Cumberland Stripes
    By striper81 in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
  4. Lake Cumberland Stripes Monday Night
    By dcbasser in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 02:07 PM
  5. Cumberland Stripes
    By striper81 in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •