Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    I was taught years ago about the horrors of internet blabbing on the creeks. They are very fragile and can be trashed and bashed in short order its happened before and goes on more than you know. Ask any of the hard core creek guys on here about what happens when somebody starts giving EXACT locations on the creek fishing.

People throw trash every where and get access spots shut down. They hook every fish they catch on a stringer and take them home regardless of size. Ask around on here, maybe a few ''OTHERS'' on here may chime in.

Protect the creeks and don't talk about them too much and you'll be happy, tell where to go and you will be sorry, trust me...These aren't like big lakes totally different animal all together.
    I agree, you are right. I've seen it done before. especially with Elkhorn.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was taught years ago about the horrors of internet blabbing on the creeks. They are very fragile and can be trashed and bashed in short order its happened before and goes on more than you know. Ask any of the hard core creek guys on here about what happens when somebody starts giving EXACT locations on the creek fishing.

People throw trash every where and get access spots shut down. They hook every fish they catch on a stringer and take them home regardless of size. Ask around on here, maybe a few ''OTHERS'' on here may chime in.

Protect the creeks and don't talk about them too much and you'll be happy, tell where to go and you will be sorry, trust me...These aren't like big lakes totally different animal all together.
    I couldn't agree more! Big smallmouth are a prize and should be kept a secret! You'll be lucky to ever catch those fish again. Someone will take them outta there. Seen it happen too many times!

Post Thanks / Like
    ive never fished elkhorn, probably never will so i cant even begin to speak with any knowledge of that creek. but i can relate to the destruction of a top notch smallmouth stream due to overfishing and the negative impact of a lot of foot traffic. ive watched a southern kentucky smallmouth stream go from unbelievable days where you would catch 40+ smallmouth anywhere from 10" to 15+". ive NEVER kept a single fish from this creek....not one. and then the Amish found it (and no im not an amish hater lol), in 2 years this creek had been hammered to the point where catching a single smallmouth of any size was a small miracle.

obviously the amish assault wasnt a result of the internet, but the assault had the same negative impact as any extreme pressure would have on any body of water.

i wont quote or paste an article by the state of maryland dnr but a study on small stream smallmouths revealed that it takes approximately 6 years for a smallmouth to reach 12+ inches, the flyers in the study population were credited to cyclic food sources.

its unfortunate that we have to be so careful about sharing our success with others, i love seeing other peoples fishing or hunting photos, but when i look at the pics all i do is congratulate them on their good day, i dont run to the house as fast as i can to grab a pole and run straight to the "spot" where they caught those fish, i dont think most people do.....but i do think there are enough that do just that , and sometimes thats enough to ruin it

just my $.02, put another $.73 with it and you still dont have enough to buy anything

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    ive never fished elkhorn, probably never will so i cant even begin to speak with any knowledge of that creek. but i can relate to the destruction of a top notch smallmouth stream due to overfishing and the negative impact of a lot of foot traffic. ive watched a southern kentucky smallmouth stream go from unbelievable days where you would catch 40+ smallmouth anywhere from 10" to 15+". ive NEVER kept a single fish from this creek....not one. and then the Amish found it (and no im not an amish hater lol), in 2 years this creek had been hammered to the point where catching a single smallmouth of any size was a small miracle.

obviously the amish assault wasnt a result of the internet, but the assault had the same negative impact as any extreme pressure would have on any body of water.

i wont quote or paste an article by the state of maryland dnr but a study on small stream smallmouths revealed that it takes approximately 6 years for a smallmouth to reach 12+ inches, the flyers in the study population were credited to cyclic food sources.

its unfortunate that we have to be so careful about sharing our success with others, i love seeing other peoples fishing or hunting photos, but when i look at the pics all i do is congratulate them on their good day, i dont run to the house as fast as i can to grab a pole and run straight to the "spot" where they caught those fish, i dont think most people do.....but i do think there are enough that do just that , and sometimes thats enough to ruin it

just my $.02, put another $.73 with it and you still dont have enough to buy anything

Just a thought, but keeping this thread at the top of the board with this lively discussion is probably going to do more harm than good.

Motion to adjourn.

Post Thanks / Like
    i was ready to let this die even though it seemed like a group beat down on me even though I just said that that I don't believe that the masses are coming in passing conversation, not to start a war. But since jcb had to go on what was a serious topic about a boat wreck and act stupid about this topic, here it goes.

First off, I firmly believe that all of nature should be well taken care of on and off of the water regardless public or private and it pee's me off to no end to reel up a sandwich bag on any body of water. But to call someone blabbering just because they said I caught a fish in this area and hope that "others' would join you is ridiculous. I still can't figure out why "others" is in parentheses. Are you the "others" beatdown gang? Try some tactfulness, it will get you much further. Send a P.M. "Hey we are trying to keep this to ourselves, welcome to the club"

Secondly, I believe that all access areas are a gift since I don't own them but they are available to me but you are presenting the peaks mill area like it is an off the beaten path, private hike into the wilderness. Again shinning a betrayer light on the first people in this post. Canoe Ky takes hundreds of people a year through there and the area addressed here is just next to the swimming hole where 4 or 5 car loads of teens are swinging off the rope and swimming pretty much every summer day. People reading this who don't know the area are thinking that someone gave up a secret access point that will now be trashed. I'm also sure that no one reading this not from this area knows that there is a canoe rental and shuttle service business a hundred yards up from the spot being discussed here.

thirdly, you are acting as if Elkhorn Creek is a secret.
    a. canoe ky has a website that has elkhorn tourneys on it
    b. Sportsman Warehouse has an area for Elkhorn on it's fishing reports board when you first walk into the store
    c. Tim Farmer did a show on Ky Afield on smallmouth fishing on what I believe was the north fork of Elkhorn.
    Again to people who don't know the area and read your post, assume that this is a small unknown area that was outed to the public.

In the end if you want people not to tell about exact area where there is access act like you've got some sense and say "hey we're trying to keep the polluters out instead of saying "now you are going to bring every person with a bucket from 10 states away who are going to take every fish from a 99 mile long creek.

No I am not hiding behind a keyboard trying to bring in the "others" on you
    steve pierce
    2265 cedar road
    stamping ground ky 40379
    h-502-535-6342
    c-502-542-7081
    yes the address says stamping ground but it is in franklin county 6 miles from peaks mill. I'm pretty sure I see what is going on there more that all of the rest of you put together

Post Thanks / Like
    Im with you slackdaddy, everyone else ASSUMED that they know where to go n catch my fish, but I've been catching fish like this since i was a kid, i fish private farm land that is owned on both sides of the creek so the only other people that are fishing this area would have to come in on canoe. I wouldn't post any kind of pics if i was worried about someone catching and keeping all the fish. Also if someone posted something on here i would never come and talk bad about them not knowing a single thing about them. It seems like its always the same ones on here that just complain about everything posted but never post anything beneficial to any one. All i was doing was sharing a couple nice fish, its not even like they were some kind of monster smallmouth.
    Definitely my last post on this website

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slackdaddy View Post
    i was ready to let this die even though it seemed like a group beat down on me even though I just said that that I don't believe that the masses are coming in passing conversation, not to start a war. But since jcb had to go on what was a serious topic about a boat wreck and act stupid about this topic, here it goes.
    Just a little humor, sorry it hacked you off obviously.

Post Thanks / Like

100% correct. I have seen it happen. Better to provide a general report (e.g., we caught fish using these lures and targeted riffle areas) than to provide specifics (e.g., park here, head this direction). Some smaller, less well known flows, better not to say anything. A few bad apples leave their trash and landowners start posting access points. We all lose.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Butt Hurt much?

Post Thanks / Like
    Slackdaddy you make a nice post you seem very intelligent and I think you totally took this out of context. Nobody here and especially me was trying to form some ''group beat down.'' That is not the intent of this and you are vastly under estimating the power of the internet and this site. I have no beef with you and was not trying to single anyone out only providing what I and as you can see MANY on here feel is useful thoughts and food for the mind.

It was to make the original posters think about what they did and maybe approach it a little different in the future. Your comment about hiding behind a keyboard is laughable. Heck most of us and again especially me are as easy to find as the local Walmart. I however will NOT post my address and phone number on a public website...dude what were you thinking there.

Food for thought my man that is all nobody was attacking your personally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, the fact that this thread has almost 1,700 views should speak for itsself....how many people do you think are coming on here, reading, and not commenting. It's not just 3 or 4 people....it's hundreds!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Also, the fact that this thread has almost 1,700 views should speak for itsself....how many people do you think are coming on here, reading, and not commenting. It's not just 3 or 4 people....it's hundreds!!!
    Amen bro...............the lurkers are the ones that do most of the damage. They never contribute anything only use the site for info and......well there you go. Very nice Magik............spot on.