Search Fishin.com

Thread: Air Rifle

Post Thanks / Like

Air Rifle

Anyone had any experience with the Gamo Recon Whisper G2 air Rifle or the Hatsan Striker. Not looking for anything too expensive just a decent rifle to mess around and maybe take care of rodents in the yard.

Post Thanks / Like

pyramid air

friend of mine bought a 5 shot repeater rifle,177 cal. He uses it for pests[cow birds, grackles, squirrels]. Me I'm a ball bearing mouse trap kind of guy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Gamo Bone Collector .17 cal air rifle

I don't have that particular model but I do have a Gamo Air Rifle as stated above. The only comment that I would make about Gamo Air Rifles in General is to make sure that you torque the screws down on the scope mounts and don't forget to use the Blue Lock Tite stuff to secure all the mounting screws. I had problems with my scope moving back off the dove tailed grooves and had to reinstall my scope properly.

Air rifles have a lot of kick in the sense that it will jar the hell out of any scope you try to put on the spring type air rifles. Even the Gamo Bone Collector which uses inert gas technology has so much kick that it will make the scope move backwards over time. If the scope does not stay put it will drastically affect your accuracy and precision when shooting small targets like Blackbirds 40 yards away and 30ft up in a tree.

If you do get a spring type or IGT type air rifle make sure that you go to the Gamo Web site and find and purchase an extra "Back Stop" Device. That device is mounted on the rail right behind the rear scope ring and used to keep the ring from moving backward due to the sudden recoil of the air rifle.

PS: the Blue Tipped Gamo .17 are so light that the wind effects their flight path more than the heavier lead based pellets. The Red plastic nose pellets are made out of lead and a little bit heavier. I'm talking about a fraction or two of a grain. But it makes a big difference in the noise of the air rifle. If your pellets go faster than the speed of sound then you will hear the shot much louder. The Blue tips pellets are louder than the red tipped pellets.

I've got two of the Gamo Scopes 4x32 I think. One cost about $80. It came with a small laser light and a small flash light mounted on top of the scope. The mounting device came with the package.

The other Gamo Scope was already installed on my Gamo Bone Collector Air Rifle. They are the same rifle scope but one comes with the extra stuff on it (light and laser and mounting stuff)

Shooting pellet guns is fun and cheaper than trying to find and shoot 22 LR ammo these days. You just can't find any 22LR ammo on the store shelves these days. It's been that way for over a year now. Too many new people shooting semi and automatic 22 guns I guess. Either there are way more shooters shooting lots more 22 LR ammo or the companies are not making much of it. Either way there is a shortage of 22 LR ammo. So I started shooting a Pellet Pistol and Pellet Rifles instead. It's a lot cheaper and people don't get scared as much of a pellet gun as they do a fire arm like my other guns.

I can shoot the fox squirrels in my yard with the pellet gun but it's not as good as shooting a 12 gage shotgun for squirrel hunting. Nor is the pellet gun as accurate as my 22 Ruger 10/22 semi automatic rifle. But one I got the scope moving problem figured out I was able to kill a few more blackbirds. I had to figure out how to adjust the MOA dial on the scope to shoot up hill and at a distance farther than my zero range. One I figure that out I started dropping black birds out of my maple trees. But heck there are so many of them that I'll never get them all. I bet that there are at least 20 more just across the street living in the pine trees of my neighbors front yard. I caught a pair of blackbirds nesting in my front yard evergreen tree at the corner of the house. Of course I took the nest down when I figured out that it was black birds nesting there. Usually the Robbins build a nest in that three. But the black birds have drive the other birds away from my bird feeders. They are pests IMHO>

Quote Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
    Anyone had any experience with the Gamo Recon Whisper G2 air Rifle or the Hatsan Striker. Not looking for anything too expensive just a decent rifle to mess around and maybe take care of rodents in the yard.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from the Crosman 1077 Repeater

I have two Crosman's 1077 Repeating Air Rifles that don't work anymore due to the fact that the seal leaks where the CO2 cartridge fits onto the rifle. Both of these rifles started leaking all the CO2 out in a few minutes about a year or two after I bought them. I even paid extra to get a bigger CO2 holder/accessory so that I could attach that to the rifle and get more shots. But the seal where that connects to the air rifle leaks too. So it was a waste of money. And when I called Crossman to complain about this they gave me the brush off. So I won't ever buy from them again.

I had some other Crosman pistols that also broke. The hammer broke on one. The others also developed leaks in the CO2 system and would not work anymore. I had the Crossman 357.

I will say that the pump up type Crossman Air Pistol works pretty good. There is not CO2 to leak in that one. You just pump it up about 10 times, put a pellet in it (single shot) and shoot away. They even sell a stock for that pistol to make it into a rifle. It's got iron sights though.

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    friend of mine bought a 5 shot repeater rifle,177 cal. He uses it for pests[cow birds, grackles, squirrels]. Me I'm a ball bearing mouse trap kind of guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a gamo rifle not the bone collector but some other model. Anyway I love mine, great for popping black birds and other varmints. I've took down a oppossum with it. I use the iron sights on mine because like moveon said the scope bounces around a lot and I miss my target.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what your budget is but check out the NP trail by Benjamin. Read lots of good reviews on it. Been considering a .22 version myself.