Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bassheads heading to Cumberland River for Trout???

A few of us will be heading to the Cumberland River putting in by Wolf Creek Dam. We primarily fish for bass and do our share or pulling board on the other side of the dam in the lake. If anyone could give some insight as to where and how to catch some trout it would be much appreciated.
    A couple questions ........
    We have access to a bass boat or a 16ft aluminum deep vee? Which would be better and how far should we be able to fish down river?
    We are novice fly fisherman but should be using lite spinning tackle primarily. What should we use and how can we catch em??

Any insight or feedback would be a huge help. We are heading down in Late June.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunkerplunker View Post
    A few of us will be heading to the Cumberland River putting in by Wolf Creek Dam. We primarily fish for bass and do our share or pulling board on the other side of the dam in the lake. If anyone could give some insight as to where and how to catch some trout it would be much appreciated.
    A couple questions ........
    We have access to a bass boat or a 16ft aluminum deep vee? Which would be better and how far should we be able to fish down river?
    We are novice fly fisherman but should be using lite spinning tackle primarily. What should we use and how can we catch em??

Any insight or feedback would be a huge help. We are heading down in Late June.

Aluminum boat would be better IMO. You need to watch the generation schedule on TVA.gov website. If the water is down you will have a hard time getting a boat in at the dam. You may want to look at Winfrey's ferry or Burkesville if their not generating water.

Spoons or panther martins work well on lite spinning rigs.

Post Thanks / Like
    you can pitch shad or nightcrawlers into the boils below the ****. If you are using shad you might want to use heavier line because we caught several stripers and a 7lb rainbow last week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Turn left off 127 to Wolf Creek Dam, then at the end of the road take a right. Park in the lot, put a coin in the bait machine and cast away. Trout are everwhere!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyLie View Post
    Turn left off 127 to Wolf Creek Dam, then at the end of the road take a right. Park in the lot, put a coin in the bait machine and cast away. Trout are everwhere!!!!

PM me if you need GPS coordinates! Hee...he!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Keep the feedback/input coming

Thank You all for your feedback! I can't wait to get down there! Please keep the feedback coming......we need all the help we can get!

I went and spent a small fortune on spinners, rooster tails, some new flies, and some powerbait nuggets that smell awful....I have a small addiction with buying fishing equip only to find that one thing that works or that I already have the same thing unopened in the tackle box!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Here's a couple more lures I have had success with on the Cumberland.

Blue Fox Spinners
    The "bell shaped" ones. Don't be afraid to use big ones! I like blue the best

Rapalas
    Shad raps, Countdown Minnow and also the "jointed" ones

Yozuri Pin Minnow
    A big brown just might break your arm on this one! Can be deadly!

Can't wait to fish it this year. I'll be heading down in the next week sometime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timmbur22 View Post
    Here's a couple more lures I have had success with on the Cumberland.

Blue Fox Spinners
    The "bell shaped" ones. Don't be afraid to use big ones! I like blue the best

Rapalas
    Shad raps, Countdown Minnow and also the "jointed" ones

Yozuri Pin Minnow
    A big brown just might break your arm on this one! Can be deadly!

Can't wait to fish it this year. I'll be heading down in the next week sometime.
    What color and size pin minnow would you recommend? I was down there this weekend and did fairly well but always looking to add more firepower to the tackle box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh, the only size I've used is about 3' long. Don't think the color matters that much.......it's the wiggle. Only problem with these is that they are so light. Hard to cast out there without adding some weight. Silver & purple is what I used in the past I think. Also, Rebel Crawdads can also work really well. The small ones won't get down far, but they have a better wiggle than the big ones and trout will come UP to get em. Trout like wiggly things!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timmbur22 View Post
    Gosh, the only size I've used is about 3' long. Don't think the color matters that much.......it's the wiggle. Only problem with these is that they are so light. Hard to cast out there without adding some weight. Silver & purple is what I used in the past I think. Also, Rebel Crawdads can also work really well. The small ones won't get down far, but they have a better wiggle than the big ones and trout will come UP to get em. Trout like wiggly things!

I watched first hand this past weekend what a rebel crawdad can do. I bet my buddy caught 15 brown trout on these. This weekend the trout fishing was on fire! Cumberland river is one of my favorite places in Kentucky to fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another one I forgot about.

You can use a weighted wooly bugger (fly-fishing fly) on a spinning/casting outfit as well as a flyrod. Must be weighted or a split shot added above the fly. I like white or black. I tie these myself, but you can get em at Bass Pro, Cabelas or Sportsman's Warehouse.

These can also be deadly. Not something most non-fly fishermen would think of.