Search Fishin.com

Thread: Ky lake help

Post Thanks / Like

Ky lake help

Heading to ky lake Friday and don't have a lot of time fishing Fenton area
    any advice or help catching bass would be greatly appreciated.smaller boat so won't be able to travel to far
    thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    I went earlier this spring and had some real good luck at Smith Bay using crank baits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbec74 View Post
    Heading to ky lake Friday and don't have a lot of time fishing Fenton area
    any advice or help catching bass would be greatly appreciated.smaller boat so won't be able to travel to far
    thanks in advance
    The bass schools are on the creek and river ledges this time of year. You can still catch a few up shallow. If it's windy and with a small boat you could probably choose a large bay with a prominent channel and try shallow water early and ledges later. If waters smooth I'd suggest ledges all day. Look at Dave Stewarts report and do what he says.

Post Thanks / Like
    I fish that area often and recommend going to Rhoads Bay. It is the first significant bay on the east side north of the bridge-across from Jonathan Creek. It has lots of secondary points, cyress trees and good buckbrush in the back. We catch lots of smallmouth on the north side of the bay. Look for a clay bank about halfway back in the bay as it always holds fish. We typically fish creature baits and large grubs (Fat Alberts) in watermelon red or pumpkinseed.

Be very careful in a small boat if you have a south wind as the rollers on the lake can be a challenge for even a larger boat. I have a 18 ft Wareagle and it beats me up when the lake gets rough. Also, be careful coming out of the Fenton launch and make sure you don't cross under the bridge until you get to one of the main structures as the ones near the shore have submerged concrete supports that can rip your motor off.

Good luck.