Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Humminbird Auto Chart Pro from Dr Depth

Well I just discovered that Humminbird has released the new Auto Chart Pro version a few months back. I read that is may need to get updated to work with some of the older Humminbird Units so I'm not going to buy it until I do some further research on if it will work well with my older Humminbird 898 C Si Unit. I'd hate to spend $250 on a program that won't work with my unit.

The problem with Software purchases is that you have to agree to the legal stuff before you can even install the software on your computer and see if it works. We need to really do something about that! IMHO. If you buy a car and it doesn't work you take it back. But the software developers have the law on their side and you can't return the software even if it's full of bugs and doesn't work. Your only hope is that they will repair the old version and come out with an updated version. And yet you still end up paying for the new updated version. Examples: Windows 3.1, Windows95, Windows98, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and now Windows 8.1. That's just one operating system.

Another example is Adobe Elements. There have been so many new versions of the same thing with just a few extras added in to entice one to spend another $100 to buy the next and best program.

Updates should be Free IMHO. The programs should work out of the box like everything else we buy and expect to work right. Why is software so special?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Well I just discovered that Humminbird has released the new Auto Chart Pro version a few months back. I read that is may need to get updated to work with some of the older Humminbird Units so I'm not going to buy it until I do some further research on if it will work well with my older Humminbird 898 C Si Unit. I'd hate to spend $250 on a program that won't work with my unit.

The problem with Software purchases is that you have to agree to the legal stuff before you can even install the software on your computer and see if it works. We need to really do something about that! IMHO. If you buy a car and it doesn't work you take it back. But the software developers have the law on their side and you can't return the software even if it's full of bugs and doesn't work. Your only hope is that they will repair the old version and come out with an updated version. And yet you still end up paying for the new updated version. Examples: Windows 3.1, Windows95, Windows98, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and now Windows 8.1. That's just one operating system.

Another example is Adobe Elements. There have been so many new versions of the same thing with just a few extras added in to entice one to spend another $100 to buy the next and best program.

Updates should be Free IMHO. The programs should work out of the box like everything else we buy and expect to work right. Why is software so special?
    Updates should be free.........give me a break. Development costs money. You can STILL run XP or 95 for that matter, IF you want to take the risk.

Each of those windows versions you listed were really complete rewrites of the previous version, exception is 8 and 8.1, but there is very little comparison between the rest of the windows versions.

Just like your car........the UPGRADE to a new car should be free because you bought a 1955 bellaire, right?

Give me a break.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

You already had your break.

If you purchased a car and the wheels fell of or the motor would not run then you should not have to pay Again for new wheels and a new motor.

Two can play the take it to the extreme game that you love to play.

Yes development costs money but so does that give the seller the right to make money off a faulty development? I think not.

If the software works and does not have bugs galore then I don't mind paying for it. But I don't think it's right to sell software that failed to do what it's purported to do. Maybe that's the fault of the marketing people more than the software writers. But they both work for the Company and should get their heads together before the product goes onto the market.

So George is this what you do? Sell software? You sure seem quick to protect them!

And Yes I still have my Windows 95A computer that works. I use it for all the Windows 95 software that won't run on Windows XP and newer versions without third party software.

If I hired a mechanic to repair my truck and he failed to do the job right I'd be getting my money back or I'd have to file a law suit for negligence. Just as I would if someone ran into me by running a red light and crashing into my truck.

So you are saying that it's OK for the software industry to sell unfinished software that's full of bugs and that they should be protected and be allowed to continue to do that? Yea Right! I think NOT!

Evidently you don't know what an update is. Because a lot of them already are free. Ever hear of a DRIVER update? Humminbird offers free updates on it's software or firmware that runs the GPS/Depth Finders/Chart Recorders all the time. You should have known that if you kept up with the Humminbird Depth Finders like the 898 C SI unit that I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Updates should be free
    Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Here is exactly what I'm talking about (Auto Chart

Autochart does not work with all the older Humminbird Units. So unless you get the software update that will work with Auto Chart you should not pay out $250 for an Auto Chart Program Chip.

http://www.humminbird.com/Category/S...oftwareUpdate/

Post Thanks / Like

2 out of 3 major fishing retailers do not have it

Two out of the three major fishing retailers that I went to don't even carry the Humminbird Auto Chart Pro unit right now.

I searched through the web sites of Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas and only one of them have the Humminbird Auto Chart for sale. And the three reviews on the one web site from people who own the product said negative things about the unit.

The very first review said that the Auto Chart thing would not work on his Humminbird 898 Side Imaging Unit. That is the same Humminbird Depth Finder that I have.

Other web site forums that cover the Humminbird stuff have said the very same thing.

Until they update the software for the older Humminbird units don't buy the Auto Chart or the Auto Chart Pro software CD.

I don't think that Johnson Controls fully understands yet how to implement the Dr Depth Software on their own older units.

And I am NOT going to update my Humminbird 898 C SI Unit which cost well over $1500 when it was new just back in 2010. I can't believe it's been 4 years since I bought that thing. The new units do have brighter screens though which would be nice. But I already spent all my money on a new Notebook Computer and some new hunting stuff.

I don't have time to keep up with the Auto Chart Stuff now anyway. I'm too busy trying to learn Windows 8.1 and the new Adobe Photo Shop Elements 12 Software. That's going to keep me busy for a while.

If you want to you can go to those web sites and check for the Auto Chart thing yourself. Gander won't have it in stock on line. Neither will Cabelas. I think it was at Bass Pro Shops but that's where I saw the three reviews that two of them were negative.

And I really do like my Humminbird Depth Finder. But Humminbird has to upgrade their software development team some more to be able to keep up with all their new products. You can't go out and try to sell stuff that won't work with the stuff you already sold before. People can't afford to buy a new depth finder ever couple of years to keep up with the new software stuff. That's just wrong! IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a new update out for the xx8 units bud, 7.09. This should allow you to use AutoCharts with the xx8 unit. Go into your MyHumminbird and it will list that it added support for AutoCharts. Of course, there is still the 83khz issue with the newest updates, but that can be got around.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve

Thanks I'll check that out.