Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Some New Rod Builds

Here are some rods I'm currently working on. One is a catfish rod build on an American Tackle bushido blank, and the other is my person "Joker" rod that I am building on a Castaway BB1. I've also attached a reel seat I did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MadSwirl.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	8238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joker Rod.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	8239Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR Catfish Build2 LS76 12-25.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	8240
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catfish.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	8241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flipping rod.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	8242

Post Thanks / Like

Rod repair

Not sure if this is a good place but I'll ask my question anyway. You have an intimate knowledge of rod building. :-) I have a Team Diawa Power Mesh (carbon?) rod that is broken about a foot from the tip. What I’ve found online are instructions to saw the butt portion down to where the tip will fit into the hollow section, epoxy, use thread to wrap the connection, then epoxy it and let dry. If I do it this way then I think I’ll lose about 10-12” of rod in order to get the 2 pieces to fit together.

I was hoping to use a ferrule of some sort but I can't find any that small. If I did cut it down, how do you fill the gap between the sections before you do the wrap? Epoxy?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Great looking reel seat and rods.Many years back, pre carbon, I built my own rods and had a great time doing it. It's an art to making wrap designs. There use to be a Rod Builders Guild active. Great work, I appreciate your work.Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually where your rod is broken it can not be fixed. It will change the action of the rod and that is where all the stress is when fighting a fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
    Not sure if this is a good place but I'll ask my question anyway. You have an intimate knowledge of rod building. :-) I have a Team Diawa Power Mesh (carbon?) rod that is broken about a foot from the tip. What I’ve found online are instructions to saw the butt portion down to where the tip will fit into the hollow section, epoxy, use thread to wrap the connection, then epoxy it and let dry. If I do it this way then I think I’ll lose about 10-12” of rod in order to get the 2 pieces to fit together.

I was hoping to use a ferrule of some sort but I can't find any that small. If I did cut it down, how do you fill the gap between the sections before you do the wrap? Epoxy?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Rich
    Ryan/ZX150 is right. Where your rod is broken, it will be difficult to fix, and if fixed, it will not be the same. Your best bet is to just put a tip on where it broke and use it if you can. Anytime you break near the tip, it's not going to be the same rod fixed. It requires a fiberglass inner sleeve and an outer sleeve. That is a lot a weight near the tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronsm View Post
    Great looking reel seat and rods.Many years back, pre carbon, I built my own rods and had a great time doing it. It's an art to making wrap designs. There use to be a Rod Builders Guild active. Great work, I appreciate your work.Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you. The designs on the grip / reel seat are something I came up with. It is called a Mad-Swirl after my daughter Maddie. I don't think the Guild is as active as it once was, but they are making a good comeback now. I started building in 2009, and built my first rod in ZX150's basement so I haven't been building super long.

Building rods is definitely enjoyable. There is just something about catching a fish on a rod that you built.