Search Fishin.com

Thread: Rod repair

Post Thanks / Like

Rod repair

I have a St Croix Avid that I love and it has a little chip out of the ceramic in the tip. I am looking for somebody good that can replace that ceramic tip, ''not the whole tip'' if that is possible. I am in he Louisville/Oldham co area. I just don't like those cheesy do it yourself rod repair kits even if they come with the new thread wrapping.

Any help appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

rod repair

I may have a tip for your rod. I have most sizes Give me a shout on a PM and we'll see what we can do. - DAVE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gofishdave View Post
    I may have a tip for your rod. I have most sizes Give me a shout on a PM and we'll see what we can do. - DAVE
    Dave most are telling me that you can't just replace the ceramic that it does have to be the entire tip is that the case?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Dave most are telling me that you can't just replace the ceramic that it does have to be the entire tip is that the case?

It's much easier and (and much more reliable) to replace the whole tip-top. While it is sometimes possible to replace just the ring inside the guide, coming from a rod builder/rod repair standpoint, I wouldn't do it on my own personal rods as it is just more work than replacing the whole thing and it's not as reliable in the long run. If you want it done right, just have the tip-top replaced.

Chris
    Reel Cleen--Reel & Rod Service
    Newkirk Custom Rods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
    It's much easier and (and much more reliable) to replace the whole tip-top. While it is sometimes possible to replace just the ring inside the guide, coming from a rod builder/rod repair standpoint, I wouldn't do it on my own personal rods as it is just more work than replacing the whole thing and it's not as reliable in the long run. If you want it done right, just have the tip-top replaced.

Chris
    Reel Cleen--Reel & Rod Service
    Newkirk Custom Rods
    Hey thanks Chris....do you know of anyone that does this in my area thats good. This is a nice stick and I flat out love it want it fixed right.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a St Croix Avid that I love and it has a little chip out of the ceramic in the tip. I am looking for somebody good that can replace that ceramic tip, ''not the whole tip'' if that is possible. I am in he Louisville/Oldham co area. I just don't like those cheesy do it yourself rod repair kits even if they come with the new thread wrapping.

Any help appreciated.
    Replace the whole tip. I've replaced a bunch on high end rods, and a good rod place can do it pretty easily.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Dealing with St Croix now on email and they are going to fix me up. Answered my email immediately....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark I custom build and repair rods give me a call 664-5921.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey thanks Chris....do you know of anyone that does this in my area thats good. This is a nice stick and I flat out love it want it fixed right.
    I see he's already responded, but I was going to say that I think zx150 is probably closer to you than I am and may be cheaper than than paying shipping to st croix. By the way, if you're a st croix fan, contact a custom builder as St croix's very best quality rod blanks are not available in stores, only to custom builders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Call st croix and theyll send you an exact replacement tip for free. You can replace it yourself in about 2 minutes. Theres nothing to it at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Bass Pro across the river fixed my St Croix,it wasnt a tip but a lower eye.Drop it off at the fishin counter,come back in a week.I think it was 10 dollars but maybe 6.I was satisfied.Dude takes it home ,you pay him .