Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Alewives during the day.

Had trouble getting bait at night under lights in the slip last Friday morning. Went on out anyway and started pulling U Rigs. Didn't have much luck with that but didn't stick with it too long. We spot this pocket and we can see bait flipping all up in it. We pull in the rigs, go over and start casting. Had some hits and a couple on for a while (Smallies, I could tell by the vertical rockets that would have come out of the water had they stay hooked). I look down in the water and I can't believe what I am seeing. I see that this pocket is also loaded with Alewives! Nice bait! Probably 7-10 ft down! This is late morning, mind you... So I get the cast net out and net probably 80. Some of the guys at the dock didn't believe me until we pulled some from the tank. I think they still thought I was pulling their leg. Lance thought they would be too fast but they were so thick there was no way they could all get out from under the net.

Anyone else ever see\do this on Cumberland before?

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't done that in the main lake. Have netted thread fins up in the creeks on the surface in the fall on sort of a regular basis. . Time of day was about a half hour before sunrise to about fifteen minutes after official sunrise.