Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    And what proof do you have of that? The Legislature is who decided where the money goes. They have to approve the budget.

I'm not sure what O'Bannon did with DNR but I'd rather get my information about what he did from some one more reliable.
    Of course you're not too sure what O'Bannon did because you're too busy slathering it all over Obama to understand just what has happened.

Here is a story for ya.

http://www.chronicle-tribune.com/sta....html?mode=jqm

And another

http://www.elkharttruth.com/news/200...hallenges.html

And Another.

http://www.wibc.com/blogs/state-budg...asures-camping

Obannon was NOT a friend of hunters, campers and fisherman, yet we named a freakin STATE PARK after the dead sum bitch.

For someone who's always spouting off about how smart you are......you'd think you were smart enough to use google.

I guess not.

AND you need to understand, the cuts were PERMANENT cuts to the budget for Fish and Wildlife.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    And what proof do you have of that? The Legislature is who decided where the money goes. They have to approve the budget.

I'm not sure what O'Bannon did with DNR but I'd rather get my information about what he did from some one more reliable.
    And guess what. I found another article about how OBannon left out the matching funds from his 1999 budget that is USED to purchase parks like your beloved Bluegrass..........

http://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorize...faa6cdd9a.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Gizzard Shad can hurt an ecosystem, but not that much. There are lakes all over with excellent bass fishing and huge populations of gizzards. They are stupid for draining Boggs, the bass fishing there was amazing. Waveland has good tournament weights right now too, and its been plagued by Gizzards. I live near lake Sullivan and the bass fishing in it has never been better. Millions of gizzards all over it, millions of crappie too. This year the bluegill were even big. Sullivan has been putting out great weights, and you can catch 20 lbs practice fishing when there aren't 100 boats out there.

These lakes I mentioned are also very small compared to lakes like Patoka, and not even a cove on lakes like KY. Their ecosystems are extremely fragile and easily influenced, and they are getting along fine with Gizzards. IF you want great sized bluegill, then no, they probably are not the best for the lake, but that's about it. There are TONS of little crappie in Patoka, which are just fine as a food source to bass, as well as the many little bluegill etc. Each year those shad spawn it gives millions if not billions of tiny little fishys for the bass to eat. And being that Indiana isn't an all year growing season for fish, it takes several years for a Gizzard to get to the size that not many fish will eat it. There is always a class of gizzard shad that bass can feed on.

I don't know what Patoka's problem is, I think a lot of it is pressure. There are a TON of good sized bass in there but they are hard to catch, and no, the small fish do not seem to be very numerous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBass View Post
    Gizzard Shad can hurt an ecosystem, but not that much. There are lakes all over with excellent bass fishing and huge populations of gizzards. They are stupid for draining Boggs, the bass fishing there was amazing. Waveland has good tournament weights right now too, and its been plagued by Gizzards. I live near lake Sullivan and the bass fishing in it has never been better. Millions of gizzards all over it, millions of crappie too. This year the bluegill were even big. Sullivan has been putting out great weights, and you can catch 20 lbs practice fishing when there aren't 100 boats out there.

These lakes I mentioned are also very small compared to lakes like Patoka, and not even a cove on lakes like KY. Their ecosystems are extremely fragile and easily influenced, and they are getting along fine with Gizzards. IF you want great sized bluegill, then no, they probably are not the best for the lake, but that's about it. There are TONS of little crappie in Patoka, which are just fine as a food source to bass, as well as the many little bluegill etc. Each year those shad spawn it gives millions if not billions of tiny little fishys for the bass to eat. And being that Indiana isn't an all year growing season for fish, it takes several years for a Gizzard to get to the size that not many fish will eat it. There is always a class of gizzard shad that bass can feed on.

I don't know what Patoka's problem is, I think a lot of it is pressure. There are a TON of good sized bass in there but they are hard to catch, and no, the small fish do not seem to be very numerous.
    Spoken like someone who will be putting gizzard shad back into Boggs.

I'm sorry, but Boggs has gone to hell in a hand basket over what it used to be.........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    When bass are babies they
    eat what shad eat plankton. Shad over compete with the bass bluegill crappie fry. So you have a high death rate in your classes of fish or they are stunned. Southern Indiana's winters do not usually cause a very high rate in shad kills so the DNR stock lakes with a high population of shad with walleyes stripers and hybrids to help control the population . so I have been told I am no biologist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Of course you're not too sure what O'Bannon did because you're too busy slathering it all over Obama to understand just what has happened.

Here is a story for ya.

And another

And Another.

Obannon was NOT a friend of hunters, campers and fisherman, yet we named a freakin STATE PARK after the dead sum bitch.

For someone who's always spouting off about how smart you are......you'd think you were smart enough to use google.

I guess not.

AND you need to understand, the cuts were PERMANENT cuts to the budget for Fish and Wildlife.

Later,

Geo
    Ray Charles could have seen how bad he treated the outdoors person.

Post Thanks / Like

Blah blah blan it's always Obama's fault IYM

You are so hung up on Obama this and Oboma that that you can't even see straight anymore George. Get over it he won two elections in a row and beat the pants of your guy TWICE! Grow up and stop gripping about Obama

You turn everything into a political mess in here.

BTW: O'Bannon and Obama are two different people just in case you didn't know that!

I know for a fact that the Federal Government could give IN IDNR another 25 million dollars if the State Legislature would appropriate the matching funding. But the Current Governor has not requested those matching funs from the GOP controlled House or Senate in the IN legislature. That speaks volumes that they just don't care about our hunting and fishing opportunities.

You are the one in here that brags about how much you know and how smart you are. But that would make you a Democrat if you were that smart!

You need to learn how to make your links work in here as I'm not going to copy and paste the BS Blog sites run by god only knows in here. If you were smart you would have already known that I don't read have the stuff you post in here. It's not true half the time and the other half the time it's not worth reading.

BTW the guy in charge of IDNR F&W is most likely a republican. He use to be a very good friend of mine and I could find out more about IDNR budget in one afternoon phone call than you would ever find in all your stupid internet blogs.

I love the commercial where the guy thinks that EVERYTHING he reads on the internet is True. That's you George. That's you!

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post

Here is a story for ya.

And another

And Another.

I guess not.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Ray could also see that he's not here anymore

Quote Originally Posted by raporter View Post
    Ray Charles could have seen how bad he treated the outdoors person.
    You guys are beating a red herring
    Our Governor is a Republican today and I could care less what happed twenty years ago.

What did your GOP past two Governors do to help the IDNR F&W get funding? NOTHING.

I spoke personally with the IDNR F&W director years ago before he was the Director and he told me then that they didn't have the funding. He still doesn't have the funding today. The F&W division at IDNR is not a high priority of either party in IN. They are more concerned with funding their friends than improving our lakes and Rivers for fishermen.

And to blame the guys who work there for a living for trying to make due without the funding is NUTS. If you want to blame anyone for lack of funding for hunters and fisherman in IN then blame those in real power. The GOP Governor now and the GOP Governor Mitch who was there for 8 years. Long after O'Bannon was gone.

What did your guys do to get the matching funds so that IN IDNR F&W could get their hands on the 25 million extra federal dollars? Nothing much. Nothing that made the main stream media down here in Southern IN.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the solution fellas, and then we can all get along. Just go fish in Kentucky. Really, does it
    matter who's in charge? They are all ego maniacal wackos, who are out of touch with reality. But, I am glad there are those who are passionate about hoosier waters. I think it would take a grass roots effort that ultimately makes enough noise in Indianapolis. Believe me I love all things Indiana except the fishing. Part of the problem is we have a high number of skilled anglers, and our aquatic resources are limited.
    Good luck with your political debates. Let's keep it civilized.

Post Thanks / Like
    Building, improving and maintaining the fisheries in Indiana just isn't a priority for state government. I've fished most of the public lakes throughout Southern Indiana the last 30 years and they're very average in terms of quality. Kentucky has world class fisheries because their state government made it a top priority 50 plus years ago...and believe me, that time frame has seen both, Republican and Democratic governors calling the shots.

Management practices are crucial too, bad practices lead to mediocre waters. The only world class fishing I can think of in Southern Indiana would be fishing for catfish in the Ohio River and that's debatable according to some local expert catmen....in short, Indiana needs to throw money at the problem and also address their management goals.

To me, Patoka Lake is an example of a panfish disaster.

Post Thanks / Like

KY and Barkley were Corp Projects

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    Building, improving and maintaining the fisheries in Indiana just isn't a priority for state government. I've fished most of the public lakes throughout Southern Indiana the last 30 years and they're very average in terms of quality. Kentucky has world class fisheries because their state government made it a top priority 50 plus years ago...and believe me, that time frame has seen both, Republican and Democratic governors calling the shots.

Management practices are crucial too, bad practices lead to mediocre waters. The only world class fishing I can think of in Southern Indiana would be fishing for catfish in the Ohio River and that's debatable according to some local expert catmen....in short, Indiana needs to throw money at the problem and also address their management goals.

To me, Patoka Lake is an example of a panfish disaster.
    While I'm not familiar with the other great fishing lakes in KY I do know that KY lake and Barkley Lake were created by the Federal Government and are there for flood control as a priority. The side affect is the great fishing when the lake is stable and not falling too fast.

I just wish that both the Dem and GOP future Governors would think more of our Hoosier fishermen and hunters and try to do more for these groups and not less. That would benefit all of us.

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct

Quote Originally Posted by nitro929 View Post
    When bass are babies they
    eat what shad eat plankton. Shad over compete with the bass bluegill crappie fry. So you have a high death rate in your classes of fish or they are stunned. Southern Indiana's winters do not usually cause a very high rate in shad kills so the DNR stock lakes with a high population of shad with walleyes stripers and hybrids to help control the population . so I have been told I am no biologist.
    IDNR does try to stock fish that will help control the shad population. I'm talking about gizzard shad not threadfin shad. I only wish that our waters stayed warm enough to keep threadfin shad in our waters. Threadfin shad are a god send for the fisheries down south there they survive the winters. They grow smaller and are a great forage fish for crappie and bass and other larger sport fish.