Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have a dog in the political discussion as I'm a KY resident however I also fished Patoka in the 80's now get up there maybe 7 times a year (have a place on Barkley) as far as I can tell the lake has improved (bass) vastly (we call it KY lake north) lots of fish in the 3-6lb range, while it does get a lot of pressure it doesn't seem to effect it too bad but the fishing has changed since the 80's. Even tho some of these results are 6 fish limits the results are impressive and speak for themselves:

Winning weights of various tourneys

March 16 22.26lbs 6fish
    April 6 24.13lbs 6fish
    July 13 20.37lbs 6fish
    July 27 22.22lbs 5fish
    Aug 23 20.29lbs 5fish

And it wasn't just one person with a big bag one tourney had 3 bags over 20lbs and the majority of the field had respectable weights. What do these results prove... not much, however if you think Patoka isn't a great fishery maybe its time to change
    tactics because the fish are there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    It is easy..................shad spawn every full moon, maybe more. AND they are prolific spawners. Once they reach a certain size, nothing eats them. When nothing eats them, they become a dominate predator in the lake, and EAT everything else.

Look at West Boggs for a perfect example on a smaller scale. Boggs was awesome for years. SIZE and Quality. In the 90's I'd drive 2 hrs after work to fish that lake and drive back. I'd do that 2-3 times a week in the summer. Yea it was what FREAKIN GOOD.

Then some dumb ass sum bitch thought it was a good idea to put gizzards in there. Yea, it was a good idea for about 1 year. Fast forward 10 - 15 years, and they are draining and killing the lake........AGAIN.

The shad out compete everything that belongs there.......PERIOD.

Later,

Geo
    Seriously? Shad do not eat other fish, they filter feed. Yes, they will have an impact on other YOY fish that are also feeding on the plankton and algae's. So how many fish over 8 pounds did you catch at Boggs in the 90`s? How about fish over 7 pounds? 6 pounds? How many 26-30 pound limits were brought in according to tournament data? Good to see that the uneducated fishermen of this backwards state are still drinking the DNR Kool Aid. You honestly think the renovation at Boggs was ultimately for the fishery? Its a money grab, and bass fishermen don't camp and spend weeks at a time like the bluegill and crappie fishermen do. There is a great panfish lake a mere 10 miles from Boggs, and the bass fishing at Boggs was out of this world the past 5 years for an Indiana lake. Its a puddle compared to other lakes that produce the giants it was producing, show me another lake in this state that produced the bags and big fish it was producing. How about the other hundreds of lakes full of gizzard shad that are **** good, why aren't they being drained and killed every 10-15 years? Why is Boggs soooooooo special that it needs renovated on that grand of scale? Why does Geist Resevoir kick out tremendous bags of bass all year long, its plumb full of shad. That lake is full of 4-6 pound bass, and the recruitment is outstanding. I don't know what planet you live on, but Boggs was fishing great and there were plenty of YOY-4 year old bass in the lake, the renovation was due to a greedy ass park manager who snowed everyone over that would listen. Why wont the park show the financial records to the residents of the lake? Think about it, who benefits the most from the park making more money? Not the state, hell, not even the community. Someone had to have the balls to say this publicly, especially since any attempt to stop this renovation was shot down immediately. The decline in people camping at Boggs was not due to the fishing, look at nationwide figures on camping since the recession hit the country. It made a good excuse to kill the lake, because ultimately this state and that park don't really care about bass fishing or they would be much more pro-active in sustaining trophy fisheries rather than killing them so that shad are eliminated. Its a weak excuse for playing God, and a total waste of tax payer money. My rant is over, and my time on here is over also. Im tired of hearing all the lies and misinformed people talking about this, shame on those in charge and shame on those who bought in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleIndianaBass View Post
    Seriously? Shad do not eat other fish, they filter feed. Yes, they will have an impact on other YOY fish that are also feeding on the plankton and algae's. So how many fish over 8 pounds did you catch at Boggs in the 90`s? How about fish over 7 pounds? 6 pounds? How many 26-30 pound limits were brought in according to tournament data? Good to see that the uneducated fishermen of this backwards state are still drinking the DNR Kool Aid. You honestly think the renovation at Boggs was ultimately for the fishery? Its a money grab, and bass fishermen don't camp and spend weeks at a time like the bluegill and crappie fishermen do. There is a great panfish lake a mere 10 miles from Boggs, and the bass fishing at Boggs was out of this world the past 5 years for an Indiana lake. Its a puddle compared to other lakes that produce the giants it was producing, show me another lake in this state that produced the bags and big fish it was producing. How about the other hundreds of lakes full of gizzard shad that are **** good, why aren't they being drained and killed every 10-15 years? Why is Boggs soooooooo special that it needs renovated on that grand of scale? Why does Geist Resevoir kick out tremendous bags of bass all year long, its plumb full of shad. That lake is full of 4-6 pound bass, and the recruitment is outstanding. I don't know what planet you live on, but Boggs was fishing great and there were plenty of YOY-4 year old bass in the lake, the renovation was due to a greedy ass park manager who snowed everyone over that would listen. Why wont the park show the financial records to the residents of the lake? Think about it, who benefits the most from the park making more money? Not the state, hell, not even the community. Someone had to have the balls to say this publicly, especially since any attempt to stop this renovation was shot down immediately. The decline in people camping at Boggs was not due to the fishing, look at nationwide figures on camping since the recession hit the country. It made a good excuse to kill the lake, because ultimately this state and that park don't really care about bass fishing or they would be much more pro-active in sustaining trophy fisheries rather than killing them so that shad are eliminated. Its a weak excuse for playing God, and a total waste of tax payer money. My rant is over, and my time on here is over also. Im tired of hearing all the lies and misinformed people talking about this, shame on those in charge and shame on those who bought in.
    You're right, I mis spoke about them eating everything else.........I should have said they eat all the food source available........

I used to fish Boggs in the good ole days, and it would produce 100's of fish a day SOLID fish were not uncommon, with a 30 or 40 fish bag of 3lb keepers.

TELL me you've done that recently and I will SHUT UP.

My personal records of Boggs show I've quite a few over 5 and a few over 6. No 7's......

And you do realize the COUNTY owns and manages the lake, not the state.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I too remember the glory days of Patoka and West Boggs. I lived in west KY not far from Barkley for many years and now live just a few minutes from Patoka. KY & Barkley are in a very different league you have the best of both worlds with them...................river fishing and lake fishing. Over the years Ive learned alot about how to fish Patoka and actually catch better quality fish than I did back in the day. But dont get me wrong................there are many days that Id just as soon blow up the dam. I agree that the fishing and boating presure has alot to do with it but it also really helps when they leave water it as well! Ive never really liked clear lakes with weeds, I prefer rocks, gravel and stained water but I make the best of it here. When things get real bad I go to the Ohio river. I think the thing that has helped me the most on Patoka is that I started concentrating on certain areas, I dont venture all over I stay in the same part of the lake until I learn everything about it................as best I can anyway, then I move on and start over.
    Likes Moveon liked this post