Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Any word on Nolin?

We're headed down late Sunday night to fish Monday and Tuesday at Nolin, likely camping at the Moutardier park area. Never fished the lake before whatsoever, so any help would be much appreciated (water temp, levels, areas, techniques etc). I assume we'll be running typical summer patterns of jigs, deep cranks and Tx-rigs just as we did fairly successfully on Barren two weeks ago but always open to tips and advice! (may also bring the rod holders for some walleye trollin' if it'll be worth it?)
    much thanks ahead of time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ProCraft13 View Post
    We're headed down late Sunday night to fish Monday and Tuesday at Nolin, likely camping at the Moutardier park area. Never fished the lake before whatsoever, so any help would be much appreciated (water temp, levels, areas, techniques etc). I assume we'll be running typical summer patterns of jigs, deep cranks and Tx-rigs just as we did fairly successfully on Barren two weeks ago but always open to tips and advice! (may also bring the rod holders for some walleye trollin' if it'll be worth it?)
    much thanks ahead of time!
    Just got off the water awhile ago pleasure boating and I'd imagine fishing will be tough even this afternoon. If your fishing at night be aware of floating debris and other boaters. Some of them like to drop anchor in the middle of a channel. Lake is holding right at summer pool. I didn't get a look at temps. Summer time patterns are go to. I'd prefer Texas rigged jigs. Focus on main lake points and rock bluffs. There's several mud flats as well. As far as walleye go. Slow trolling cranks or drifting night crawler harnesses seem to be effective. Focus on rocky points. I fish the wax area but since your fishing the moutardier area I can't help you on specific spots. Good luck and be safe. And shoot a report back

Post Thanks / Like
    Heres the scoop. So the 4th of July traffic hit 'em hard we figured. We fished near the wax area and had some success fishing drop off/rock bluffs with heavy jigs and plastics but most decent fish were caught at or just after dark. Main lake fishing was attempted early on the trip but with little success. We found a few schools of fish around points busting shad. We thought they were hybrids in the jumps but ended up being a mix of smaller lmb and spots all about the same size (12-14ins) which we caught a few of by throwing Alabama rigs. Since Nolin wasn't producing much and to mix things up, we went to Rough the last evening of the trip. We had a little more encouraging results there mainly because we could actually maintain somewhat of a pattern. With the exception of one run down the south fork, we stayed fairly close to the state park ramp area. We caught a couple good sized spots and lmb on the south side of an island dragging jigs around rubble/chunk rock. As the sun was setting we had success on main lake rocky points doing the same thing as well as catching an occasional fish on a crank here and there.
    hope this helps!