Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What is your fishing strategy on busy lakes?

What type of strategy do you employ for bass fishing on busy lakes in the summer? Do you just fish through the pleasure boaters, of try to find someplace out of the way? What tactics/baits do you use when you are competing with the other boaters out on the water?

We fished Rough River Lake last weekend, and the pleasure boaters were out in full force. I boated a few undersized bass, and Dad caught one dandy off of a submerged boulder in a cove just off the main lake, but other than that, the fishing was very slow.

I'm looking for some tips to change things up a bit and maybe help us boat a few more bass on those busy weekend fishing trips at the lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try to fish were every one else isn't .. It's a little better fishing back in the creeks but as for rough river it is way over fished and i would look for a better place to fish .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by olgreenboat View Post
    Try to fish were every one else isn't .. It's a little better fishing back in the creeks but as for rough river it is way over fished and i would look for a better place to fish .
    I agree Rough is over fished, but it is only about 35-40 minutes from my house, so it is hard to pass up for a quick trip. We tried fishing a couple of creek arms, but most of the bites we got were from spots close to the main lake. I never got the first bite fishing way back in the creeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Strategy for Fishing Busy Lakes

Living that close I would be on the lake at safe light. Fish as far away from where most of the pleasure boat crowd begins their day. Fish until the fish turn off or too many pleasure boaters show up. When that happens call it a good day!

Post Thanks / Like

I stay off those busy lakes and fish else where

Busy lakes are not my style when I'm fishing. I go to another lake that's not as busy if at all possible or just go to the rifle range instead of fishing. Or I'll go shopping or even take a afternoon nap. If the lake is busy it's no fun to try to fish with jet skies and water skiers and other boats zooming around the lake making all kinds of racket and waves.

I use to just take the wife and kid out waterskiing and tubing when the lake was full of boats during the hot parts of the day in summer. You don't have as many water lice on the lake in early spring and late fall so that's the best time to fish IMHO. Summer months the lakes are just too busy to fish peacefully. Unless you fish at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    What type of strategy do you employ for bass fishing on busy lakes in the summer? Do you just fish through the pleasure boaters, of try to find someplace out of the way? What tactics/baits do you use when you are competing with the other boaters out on the water?

We fished Rough River Lake last weekend, and the pleasure boaters were out in full force. I boated a few undersized bass, and Dad caught one dandy off of a submerged boulder in a cove just off the main lake, but other than that, the fishing was very slow.

I'm looking for some tips to change things up a bit and maybe help us boat a few more bass on those busy weekend fishing trips at the lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post

I have a few ideas, but to be honest I don't fish this time of year due to the CRAZIES out there.

* 1 hour before first light until 10:00am or so. That usually keeps most the crazies off the water, and gives you the best opportunity to catch a decent fish.

* Fish at night. Sundown to Midnight or so, or all night. You will catch fish, but it is tougher.

* Fish smaller bodies of water. Trolling motor or Idle only lakes. I fished this past weekend at Deam Lake and Dogwood Lake in Indiana and had the lakes to myself. I was SHOCKED.

I hope this helps.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is hard to believe but ive been killing them at Jacobson Park in Lexington. Best 5 in a 2 day span was pushing 13lbs and that's the busiest little hole ive ever fished. Ive been throwing to wood cover but not just a few flips but at least 20 casts to around the same spot. May not get a bite at all or you may get hit on the 20th flip. Once I get over knee surgery I am going to try this on other bodies of water as well and see if it works. In the past a few cast to a log and I would move on. Patience is the key.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    If I fish a busy lake like Kentucky ONI holiday weekend I will fish main lake until about 10:00 then I let the pleasure boats have main lake they have as much right to be there as anyone, so I will move to smaller bays and cuts,fish docks in marina etc

Post Thanks / Like
    SGlass,

Can you put a bass boat on Jacobson Park Lake? I haven't been there in years, since I was a kid really, and we just fished from the bank. I thought back then it was a paddle boat only lake (I remember they had paddle boats you could rent for a few dollars). But I don't remember seeing any other boats on the lake, and I thought they only allowed those paddle boats (and bank fishing). But if I could take my bass boat and launch it I'd probably give it a shot, because it's only about 30 minutes from my house. Can you put a bass boat in and fish from it? Do they have a good ramp? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure about the boat the lake is super shallow right now. There is a good ramp but I believe its electric motor only. I went this AM and caught 2 around 17 inches off top.water from the bank.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of my friends and family think im some great fisherman,i always invite people over for fish frys and give away a bag or two.Not always but i often bring home fish or some nice photos.The truth is im just average at best.My secret is i fish for whats biting when they are biting and where they are biting.I fish smallmouth at Dale when the ff is on.I hit Ky lake the full moon in May for bull bluegill.Then look for reports the ledge bite is on.I could go on and on.Dock contacts and reliable reports guide me.This is really not a secret to most on here,it took me a while to figure this out.
    The point im trying to make is this,i wouldnt be bass fishing Rough this weekend.If i had to fish Rough this weekend i would be at the state park marina at 6am saturday morning rigged and ready to go after Hybrids.Fish between there and the dam.Read up on how to catch them and you will quickly be getting limits this summer.They pull like crazy and if you eat them fresh or within a month or two they are wonderful table fare.I have seen some shocking hybrid limits come from Rough and Barren.Good luck and go early and get back early.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by creekrock View Post
    Some of my friends and family think im some great fisherman,i always invite people over for fish frys and give away a bag or two.Not always but i often bring home fish or some nice photos.The truth is im just average at best.My secret is i fish for whats biting when they are biting and where they are biting.I fish smallmouth at Dale when the ff is on.I hit Ky lake the full moon in May for bull bluegill.Then look for reports the ledge bite is on.I could go on and on.Dock contacts and reliable reports guide me.This is really not a secret to most on here,it took me a while to figure this out.
    The point im trying to make is this,i wouldnt be bass fishing Rough this weekend.If i had to fish Rough this weekend i would be at the state park marina at 6am saturday morning rigged and ready to go after Hybrids.Fish between there and the dam.Read up on how to catch them and you will quickly be getting limits this summer.They pull like crazy and if you eat them fresh or within a month or two they are wonderful table fare.I have seen some shocking hybrid limits come from Rough and Barren.Good luck and go early and get back early.
    I just re-read my response and realized i might have come off a little pretentious.After all you did ask about bass fishing.Soo...you could try the area around the dam at Rough,there is a area there that is no ski ,not no wake but no ski.Its a fairly large area too.There are some really nice rock bluffs or walls there that stay shaded alot of the day.Maybe you could get on a crankbait bite on these deep walls,or a finesse worm cast to the walls for suspended bass.Put in at the state ramp and its a easy run to the dam.Again,good luck.