Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

new to fishing again, worm fishing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0038.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	8458Hi all,fishing has been rekindled in my life after a 35 year absent. Retirement is closely in my future and the grandkids have a interest in fishing.
    Fished regularly years ago, Beaver Dam in Peabody, Rough River,Nolin,Guist Creek,and Green River.Recently bought a boat,wanted a new outfit but the sticker price.Bought used saving about $15K,Nitro175SF with 150 evinrude and equipped.
    Lost most of lures and tackle to moving and home floods.
    My question is what is recommended for worm fisihing? I do have several baitcasting outfits,what about worms,hooks?
    thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost at a loss trying think back that far. Bet you you were throwing manns jelly worms and culprits or gill rakers. Varieties and prices have changed drastically. I'm pretty sure power worms were around then and I fish them often now. Learn to drop shot, wacky rig and shakey head and you'll be right back in the game. Have no fear though the Texas and Florida rigged worms are still getting it done.
    Good luck in your retirement and most importantly enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoner View Post
    Almost at a loss trying think back that far. Bet you you were throwing manns jelly worms and culprits or gill rakers. Varieties and prices have changed drastically. I'm pretty sure power worms were around then and I fish them often now. Learn to drop shot, wacky rig and shakey head and you'll be right back in the game. Have no fear though the Texas and Florida rigged worms are still getting it done.
    Good luck in your retirement and most importantly enjoy it.
    What is a florida rig?

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a lot of useful info here http://www.bassresource.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiehunterchris View Post
    What is a florida rig?
    Pegged or screw in type bullet sinker.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the info.YES prices have soared since the 70's & 80's. We had several local bait and tackle shops in Louisville but have lost most of them. Had 4 or 5 between work and home and visited most of them weekly.
    Worming will be a challange as well as the baitcaster.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like using culprit worms in a variety of colors. Creature baits are probably my favorite though. As far as hooks go I use the trokars now and am very satisfied with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be prepared for a culture shock. Pleasure boaters are every dam where on those waterbodies you mentioned. Weekends are tough! Used to be we'd get buzzed on Barren on a Saturday morning by one or two tubers/skiers. Now there's a dam armada. And they all seem to want to get as close to you as possible!!!! Early and Late are the best times.

My bass plastics are Power Worms, Zoom Lizards, Big ol' salty Magnum Tubes in 3", (I really like those tubes. You can rig them to sink slow, put rattles in em, walk the dog on top, float em on moss, or hop them along the bottom like crawfish. I fill the tip with scent and shove a rattle in to kind of hold it there.) They have consistently caught big fish for me. The Brush Hawgs are good. I generally like a 5/0 wide gap Gamakatsu hook, but they are all expensive, and I usually just get the cheapies. Always carry splitshot worm sinkers. Makes changing presentations a snap.

Also, I absolutely love a buzz bait!!!!

But good luck. Welcome back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronsm View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0038.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	8458Hi all,fishing has been rekindled in my life after a 35 year absent. Retirement is closely in my future and the grandkids have a interest in fishing.
    Fished regularly years ago, Beaver Dam in Peabody, Rough River,Nolin,Guist Creek,and Green River.Recently bought a boat,wanted a new outfit but the sticker price.Bought used saving about $15K,Nitro175SF with 150 evinrude and equipped.
    Lost most of lures and tackle to moving and home floods.
    My question is what is recommended for worm fisihing? I do have several baitcasting outfits,what about worms,hooks?
    thanks,
    I like to fish soft plastics with Gamakatsu EWG hooks. You can get other brands of 2/0-3/0 hooks in bulk 25-100 packs) pretty cheap as well. Spinning Reels have come a long way as well and you will find tat if you been out of practice with a baitcaster and wanted to jump back in that would be the way to go. Plus if a youngster was going to learn how to cast or reel some fish in you may have hooked for them it's a win win.
    For soft plastics, I'm a fan of Zoom baits but use others like Culprit and Cabin Creek. I stay away from the some manufactures since they get pretty costly.
    For Crankbaits I have more Bandit baits and Walmart carries several brands of these types of baits. Strike King has a little bit of everything and can compete with other lower cost baits. Yep you will be shocked if you see what Luckycraft and other premium baits cost now!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped off in Bowling Green a couple of weeks ago and visited Gander Mountain, was expecting a store like BPS and Cabelas. They had Bandit crankbaits on sale for $1.99,both 200 & 300.Bought $20. worth,didn't want the wife to think
    I'm addicted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronsm View Post
    I stopped off in Bowling Green a couple of weeks ago and visited Gander Mountain, was expecting a store like BPS and Cabelas. They had Bandit crankbaits on sale for $1.99,both 200 & 300.Bought $20. worth,didn't want the wife to think
    I'm addicted.
    That would be a nice find! I have more than I need now but will always buy a few backup baits!