Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sea Foam?

Post Thanks / Like
    i don't care if it's made out of mule hockey...it DOES remove carbon. i ran an engine on the hose with a treatment of seafoam and the ground was black in 10 minutes. i'd say ring free, power tune, and all the rest are basically the same stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    SeaFoam is 10-20% Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water.
    Where does the idea of "water" (of any kind) come into play ?? The MSDS does not list "water" as an ingredient ... so I'm just wondering why people assume there's water in the mixture ??

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought an old tractor this spring. Upon further investigation,1 cylinder was about 60 lbs low on compression. After a leakdown test,I concluded the rings were carboned up. It was either re ring it,or try something else. I ran seafoam in the oil for about 2 hrs. Then drained the oil and changed it. Compression is identical on all cylinders now,and has been running like a top all summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Where does the idea of "water" (of any kind) come into play ?? The MSDS does not list "water" as an ingredient ... so I'm just wondering why people assume there's water in the mixture ??

... pappy
    All isopropyl alcohol contains water but not all isopropyl alcohol is the same .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol
    That will answer some questions for you .
    I always said that stuff was the baddest stuff in the world , Now i know that if you put holy water on a womans belly she will become with child but if you rub this stuff on a cats nads he will pass a train

Post Thanks / Like

Seafoam good or bad..

Quote Originally Posted by llg View Post
    Good, bad, neither? Do you use it with your oil? It works like Staybil too?

I often wondered about this Seafoam and heard about it on many motorcycle forums... then actually did some research... it was designed for boat motors.. 2cycle oil/gas mixture carb types... it's inventor did it because the early outboards had tons of carb fuel/oil problems... and many boaters would get stuck out on the water or shore... and he came up with this concoction. Boaters flocked to him for some since his test product worked in his outboards and he started selling it out of his boat on the water....the result is Seafoam as we know it today... it was designed for out board motors.. 2 stroke,,, carb gas/oil mixture types.... I am sure it's upgraded for injector type 4 stroke... I still run some through my Goldwing occasionally... and always use it in my old 1997 Monark, pontoon, Force/Mercury 90HP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyfrazel View Post
    I often wondered about this Seafoam and heard about it on many motorcycle forums... then actually did some research... it was designed for boat motors.. 2cycle oil/gas mixture carb types... it's inventor did it because the early outboards had tons of carb fuel/oil problems... and many boaters would get stuck out on the water or shore... and he came up with this concoction. Boaters flocked to him for some since his test product worked in his outboards and he started selling it out of his boat on the water....the result is Seafoam as we know it today... it was designed for out board motors.. 2 stroke,,, carb gas/oil mixture types.... I am sure it's upgraded for injector type 4 stroke... I still run some through my Goldwing occasionally... and always use it in my old 1997 Monark, pontoon, Force/Mercury 90HP.
    The stuff was invented in the 40's and the old adds that i seen was for use in cars not to say it was not ment for boats to because back then 2 stoke ment HD 30WT motor oil mix with gas @ 32:1 and even the fuel back then was nasty stuff . Todays autos would never run on it .

I watched a video on seafoams web sight were some one was pouring this stuff down there brake booster vacumm line and I can tell you folks this can cause a hydraulic lock in your engine and or smash the crap out of your rod bearings and since its burn rate is so much slower then gas it can cause other problems like craked 02 sensor why is because it does not burn a 100 % and the steam is colder , The 02 sensor has a ceramic housing and any big chunks of carbon that doesnt burn off will get traped under your exsaust valves and the cat converter . The soot and carbon you see coming out the pipe is coming from the inside of the exsaust pipe its self .
    Remember this stuff is nothing more then baby oil isopropyl alcohol and zippo lighter fluid . All isopropyl alcohol contains water and i have seen as much as 38% water in it.
    Bottom line is there is a lot better out there and i would realy look around for some thing else . When it comes to removing carbon and deposites you want somthing that will dissolve and vaporize carbon and safely send it out the pipe with out cloging up the system or sensors . Rember carbon will not burn it is what is left over from burning and you want to desovle it down and vaporize it so it can be removed from the system .