Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Funny thing is I wouldn't even be using Flouro if you hadn't mentioned the knot being the problem on me breaking off all the time. Now I use it on everything except my top water rod and spinning reels. It's great stuff.
    AWESOME. Once I started learning a good knot my break issues went away too. I still break off, but that is because I'm bone headed and don't retie when I should. I broke a serious fish off a few weeks ago at the knot. ..

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Ok. So you pull line out of a real you have been using. Tie it to something and and pull it tight to stretch it.

Does stretching alone get the line twist out?

...or do you get the twist out when you reel it up running the line between your fingers which are putting tension on the line?

Here's a good one.
    True confessions.

Side note: I bought a good sized spinning reel a few years ago so I could cast further and put braid on it so I would not have to deal with line twist. No twist but a rough ride bringing in the fish with zero stretch. Would rather use mono minus the twist.

The story:
    My son and I went trout fishing with a guide last spring in Kentucky.

I was fighting a rather large trout to say the least. It was about 22 degrees, the water was swift and I had never seen trout like these before. I was cranking the spinning reel at a good pace when the guide said " stop cranking the real when when the fish is pulling line or the line is not moving, your twisting my line". I thought I had displayed at least moderate sub freezing out of my element fishin skills to that point. Shezam Gomer.

I fessed and replied back "you kidding me, I didn't know that!
    Now that is funny.

When I stretch the line......I just leave it on the reel. Tie the tag end onto a stop sign or something with a swivel. Walk off the line........close the bail and then walk until you get to the "breaking" point. Usually 10-20ft. Hold there. You can tell you're putting some serious pressure on the line.

It is amazing to watch the loops completely come out. Spool it back up under pressure, and fish another 50 days with it.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    [I was cranking the spinning reel at a good pace when the guide said " stop cranking the real when when the fish is pulling line or the line is not moving, your twisting my line". I thought I had displayed at least moderate sub freezing out of my element fishin skills to that point. Shezam Gomer.

I fessed and replied back "you kidding me, I didn't know that![/QUOTE]

For real ( or should I say for reel) if you're cranking a spinning reel and you hear the drag singing, STOP REELING!!! It will definitely put a twist in the line.

Post Thanks / Like

line memory

I don't strech my line to stretch it but to get the memory out of it.I'll will take all of my mono spooled reels and walk off about double my average cast and attach it to a swival on a post with heavy tension on it.
    It's basically a board with tripple swivels set up and spaced about 8" apart , that way I can leave my poles prerigged.
    Anyway I'll do normmally 6 rods at a time. Like I said its more for removing line memory than stretching. As we all know at the end of the day a cast will lay so nice and flat on the water with no curlling. There is nothing so frustrating when starting the day throwing light baits only to have the line coils start retrieving your baits ( and I have never used a mono line that won't do this to some extent if left on the reel for any length of time.)
    Before I load my boat in the morning I retreive my rods/reels and only takes a couple of minutes and when I hit the lake my casts are far and the line lays flat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Now that is funny. When I stretch the line......I just leave it on the reel. Tie the tag end onto a stop sign or something with a

swivel.
    Ok thanks. I see it now. On fourth read I see the part about the swivel as mentioned in other posts too. Using a swivel at the tag lets the line rotate and stretching the line somehow makes the line rotate.

Nice.

I never did like dragging the line behind the boat. Takes a lot of time and seems awkward to me.

Taking care of that problem at your leisure in the garage or boat shed makes a lot more sense for me. For the type of fishing I do the most I firmly believe sixty percent of catching a fish is done in the boat shed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Im curious why? Not being a smartass just never seen a need so I was curious. I use Seaguar Red Label in #15 and 20# and have always been amazed at how smooth it casts and works.....baitcaster use only. Maybe your using Flouro on spinning reels??
    Does it have some benefit I'm missing out on?
    It's become a habit really, but it's definite on my spinning reels There's probably more benefit for them due to potential twist issues. I also on occasion in cooler weather place the new spool of line in warm water, it seems to help in the spooling process and certainly doesn't hurt anything.
    I love the red label myself, great line.

Post Thanks / Like

why do it?

i agree with several different reasons of why to pre-stretch your mono...gets the twist out, hook set etc etc.

but i guess the main 2 reasons i do it is;
    1. ive done it for 40 years and it has worked for me
    2. i hate (and i mean HATE) watching tv....so it gives me something to do in the evenings
    3. im a "prepper", i like details, and i like piddling with my fishing equipment
    4. no surprises on the first cast....like kstonich said, that first cast shoots out there like an arrow and lays just as flat as good "fly-line"

p.s. i said 2 reasons, im not too good at counting...unless its how many fish are in the cooler

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been reading this thread with interest and decided to test the theory for myself.

I threw I bait I had tied on and estimated the distance of the cast. I then attached the bait to a swivel I attached on my boat barn and did the stretch and tighten.

I then threw the bait again and once again estimated the distance.

Yeppers, it cast further and seemed to come off the spool with much less resistance.

I guess I'll be stretching more than my legs before fishing with my mono spooled spinner reels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pre-stretched mono is also much easier to break off when you get irretrievable hung up in deeper water. Instead of stretching and cutting into a finger (fess up, we've all done that) it will snap off relatively easy with a quick and strong tug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Line conditioners helps too. I use on all my kind. Does wonders for mono and fluoro. I spray it on braid too.