Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pre-stretching Mono

I've always pre-stretched new mono for fresh and saltwater fishing. It makes it stretch less when being used which makes for better hook sets. I spoken with several experienced fishermen that has never heard of this. Does anyone else pre-stretch mono?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes ... on occasions where I have not used an outfit for some time, I will walk off at least twice the distance of a real good cast and pull on it to stretch out the coils (spinning rods). Also helps remove any leftover twists from previous use.

Not the same overall situation as yours, but it does help !!

My method:
    hook bait or tie line to a stationary object ... walk off 2x cast distance ... stretch line & hold for a few seconds for 2-3 times ... release line at hook/tie point ... retrieve line under finger/thumb tension

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    yes i do...
    i usually splice and respool the top half of each spool on my spinning rods about every other trip, trilene xl or p line flouroclear depending on which reel/application. after i respool i have a holder apparatus attached to the basement porch post and i pull out 50yds of line and attach it to a limb, usually the one that is high enough for misus stripernut to walk under without it catching here in the face, shes mean when this happens, i go back to the holder and engage the reel and crank until the line is fairly taught, i leave it like this oevernight. unhook from the branch in the morning and go fishing. the line shoots of the reel and lays absolutely flat and straight on the water.
    and yes it makes a world of difference with shakey heads , tubes , and flukes when its time to set the hook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    yes i do...
    i usually splice and respool the top half of each spool on my spinning rods about every other trip, trilene xl or p line flouroclear depending on which reel/application. after i respool i have a holder apparatus attached to the basement porch post and i pull out 50yds of line and attach it to a limb, usually the one that is high enough for misus stripernut to walk under without it catching here in the face, shes mean when this happens, i go back to the holder and engage the reel and crank until the line is fairly taught, i leave it like this oevernight. unhook from the branch in the morning and go fishing. the line shoots of the reel and lays absolutely flat and straight on the water.
    and yes it makes a world of difference with shakey heads , tubes , and flukes when its time to set the hook.
    I'll let out almost the entire spool of line and tow it behind the boat for a few minutes. I think the mono will stretch better if it's wet and you are also removing any twist and coils that are in the line while it's being towed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was recently at a pay lake catfishing and the group next to us was talking about not using a reel because the line hadn't been stretched. I guess they take it pretty seriously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    I'll let out almost the entire spool of line and tow it behind the boat for a few minutes. I think the mono will stretch better if it's wet and you are also removing any twist and coils that are in the line while it's being towed.
    yup, done it the same way many times, works great

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    I did the same for years when I used mono on my spinning reels. Now I use FireLine and don't have a need to do that. My baitcasters have Flouro....except my topwater rod and even then I don't stretch that mono.

When I used mono 100% of the time I never really had a problem with it. I used Bass Pro Excel and I had a habit of re-tieing so much that I needed to respool quite often so coils were never a problem. I also only re spooled the top half or so to save money and line.

Now that I use Flouro I don't re-tie as often....but should more than I do. I'm getting lazy from not fishing tournaments like I used to.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done every new spool of floro like that. I have a swivel attached to a fence post just for this.
    Last edited by stoner; 07-20-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Grammar

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoner View Post
    I've done every new spool of floro like that. I have a swivel attached to a fence post just for this.
    Im curious why? Not being a smartass just never seen a need so I was curious. I use Seaguar Red Label in #15 and 20# and have always been amazed at how smooth it casts and works.....baitcaster use only. Maybe your using Flouro on spinning reels??
    Does it have some benefit I'm missing out on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Im curious why? Not being a smartass just never seen a need so I was curious. I use Seaguar Red Label in #15 and 20# and have always been amazed at how smooth it casts and works.....baitcaster use only. Maybe your using Flouro on spinning reels??
    Does it have some benefit I'm missing out on?
    I use red label almost exclusively. On baitcasters I don't worry about it. On spinning gear I will stretch the line and remove the twist that is inherently introduced into the reel after a ton of hours / days fishing with it.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    I use red label almost exclusively. On baitcasters I don't worry about it. On spinning gear I will stretch the line and remove the twist that is inherently introduced into the reel after a ton of hours / days fishing with it.

Later,

Geo
    Funny thing is I wouldn't even be using Flouro if you hadn't mentioned the knot being the problem on me breaking off all the time. Now I use it on everything except my top water rod and spinning reels. It's great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. So you pull line out of a real you have been using. Tie it to something and and pull it tight to stretch it.

Does stretching alone get the line twist out?

...or do you get the twist out when you reel it up running the line between your fingers which are putting tension on the line?

Here's a good one.
    True confessions.

Side note: I bought a good sized spinning reel a few years ago so I could cast further and put braid on it so I would not have to deal with line twist. No twist but a rough ride bringing in the fish with zero stretch. Would rather use mono minus the twist.

The story:
    My son and I went trout fishing with a guide last spring in Kentucky.

I was fighting a rather large trout to say the least. It was about 22 degrees, the water was swift and I had never seen trout like these before. I was cranking the spinning reel at a good pace when the guide said " stop cranking the real when when the fish is pulling line or the line is not moving, your twisting my line". I thought I had displayed at least moderate sub freezing out of my element fishin skills to that point. Shezam Gomer.

I fessed and replied back "you kidding me, I didn't know that!