Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

worst day on Nolin since I have been fishing there

Well I have been fishing Nolin Lake since 1972 when I was 10 yrs old. Now I have a place at WAX off washburn rd . Anyway I dont think I have ever been blanked , actually everyone on my boat was blanked . We fished my favorite Zara Spook had one white try to blow up on it ...... We fished 5 hours and no fish was boated . I fished under the Wax bridge where I killed them last week , I probably caught 30 PLUS fish there when I was on vacation ... So then we ran to Dog Creek fished Texas rigged plastics , crankbaits, black spinner baits ( which I heard have been hot on the lake ) top waters, in line spinners , blade baits nothing !!

Had to drop off one guy at the Wax campground so he could pack up .So , then me and my brother in law kept fishin ....we went back to the bridge ...nothing ...trolled a bank with deep diving cranks .nothing .Then we rode up to one of my favorite coves on the river and fished it thoroghly and I always get a couple of Bass in there ..and we didn't catch or even get a bite ! It was a low pressure day and sprinking rain ...I thought it would be good , in fact I told my buddies we should kill them today ...

Then we made the run to the old road ben across from Iberia and once again ...not even a nibble

My buddy Kurt has a weather ap on his phone that also rate the fishing ...well it was a 1 out of 10 , labeled very poor ! I guess that ap was telling the truth ! Oh well thats why they call it fishing and not catching !

Did anyone else fish Nolin on Saturday 7/17? IF so did you do any good ?

WE even fished some brushpiles in 25 ft of water that always seem to hold fish , but not yesterday !

My buddy Keith was out just playing around on Wed nite and he got a 5lb LM off the big island at 11:30 pm ...man I am kinda baffeled .I am anxious to know if anyone else had a better day than us . I guess I shoulda took some shadgut or chicken livers and fished for catfish HA HA HA

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the water temps dropped in the water I fish pretty severely last couple days. Maybe that's the culprit?

Post Thanks / Like
    caught several walleye (<15in) and catfish trolling and anchored up at night. I caught one 15 inch LMB on dead minnows. It was one of the better evenings we had near our place.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had good luck on the lake recently. I haven't got into whites in the jumps like I usually do. Walleye done disappeared on me as well. I feel your pain man... I'll be headed down again this weekend to give it another go

Post Thanks / Like
    Fished Saturday night and it was tough, fished from 7pm-3am and had 3 keepers and about 6 slots.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain as well....Fished Saturday and Sunday mornings from daylight until 10AM both days.

Saturday: caught 1 13" LM on a shaky head in 15 feet and fished several of my best deep spots without another bite. Tried some bluffs and steeper banks with several presentations and no luck. Finally stopped on way in on a chunk rock bank with and 8-foot square-bill figuring I might at least catch some small bank runners so that my guest could say he at least caught A FISH. Caught 2 11" KY's on the square-bill and had two other KY's spit the bit on way to boat.

Sunday: tried some of the same deeper stuff and a few different ones without a single bite for nearly 3 hours. Finally caught two KY's (one pretty nice on as far as Nolin KY's go, around 14.5 inches) on a texas rigged sweet beaver in about 10 feet.

Two days, 7 hours, 7 bites, 5 fish, ZERO keepers - but it sure beat workin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger492 View Post
    I feel your pain as well....Fished Saturday and Sunday mornings from daylight until 10AM both days.

Saturday: caught 1 13" LM on a shaky head in 15 feet and fished several of my best deep spots without another bite. Tried some bluffs and steeper banks with several presentations and no luck. Finally stopped on way in on a chunk rock bank with and 8-foot square-bill figuring I might at least catch some small bank runners so that my guest could say he at least caught A FISH. Caught 2 11" KY's on the square-bill and had two other KY's spit the bit on way to boat.

Sunday: tried some of the same deeper stuff and a few different ones without a single bite for nearly 3 hours. Finally caught two KY's (one pretty nice on as far as Nolin KY's go, around 14.5 inches) on a texas rigged sweet beaver in about 10 feet.

Two days, 7 hours, 7 bites, 5 fish, ZERO keepers - but it sure beat workin!
    Thanks Guys for the replys ...now I don't feel so bad LOL ....

Post Thanks / Like
    I fished sat and blanked also. Didnt even get a bite. Ive fished the lake for 20 years and for some reason this summer has been the worst I have ever done there. Late winter and early spring this year I did pretty well but the last month has been tough to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have noticed more than in years past areas that have fish busting everywhere and they were all spots or LM. This time of year they usually get out and chase the schools of bait like the whites but this year I have run into large areas of just LM and spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea Ive caught a lot of spots in the jumps esp back in dog creek this year. No size at all but like you said I have seem more than in the past.