Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Loop in the reel of a spinning reel.

We've all had it happen for various reasons. There's a loop on the reel and it really messes up your casting abilities.

Here's the correct method ( at least the way I handle it) to correct the problem.

Step 1: Loosen your drag

Step 2: DO NOT OPEN THE BAIL

Step 3: Pull the line out from the reel (grasp the line ahead of the reel). Pull out line until the loop is removed.

Step 4: Re-tighten the drag and reel the line onto the spool.

For all that know this, my apologies. We're getting some young new members here and maybe they aren't aware of this method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now thats funny ..You the man Tyme!

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know that. Been doing it the other way. I didn't fish much when I was young so maybe I missed that part. With all the stuff I am learning about spinning reels this year maybe I will start using them more than two or three tines a year.

Now if there was a way to have them not take up so much space.

Thanks for posting this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rookie,lol

Post Thanks / Like
    You are right on with the best method for removing loops but what about a little more thought on why there are loops. First thoughts are line twist which is true but what happens is when you make a cast and start reeling which snaps the bail closed if you have any slack in your line a loop can form. If you snap you bail a little sooner -- as your lure is landing and still has some forward momentum -- it tends to keep the line tight resulting in few loops. I have noticed a lot of rookie casters will let their lure hit the water and may even move the rod before closing the bail and they get a lot more loops. Another thought is if you are getting loops as you close the bail just reach down and pull any slack out of the line before you start your retrieve...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    kc, I very seldom get loops. I just thought I'd share the "removal process" for those that hadn't heard of this method.

I don't like to engage the bale (bail?) with the handle action. I prefer to manually close the bail. I think that is the method you implied.
    As I do that, I also place tension on the line to remove that last little bit,if even present, of "loose line".

Another possible cause of loops is over-filling the reel. Isn't that right?

Post Thanks / Like
    If I don't close the bail with the handle as I control the length of the cast I also do what you shared which is close my bail manually with my hand and I have developed the habit of pulling out the slack as I do. It amazes me at times how much slack can get in your line at the end of your cast.

Overfilling can cause loops too as the line gets off the spool and when you cast it will snarl up. Pretty simple to avoid by just not overfilling.

Another factor on loops is how tight your line is as you retrieve your lure. If you are throwing say a crank bait your line tends to be retrieved and stays tight on the spool. I rarely almost never have loops when fishing this way. But if you are retrieving a lure on a slack line -- think un-weighted worm -- the line is not coming in tight on the spool making loops much more likely. Perfect time for the manual-bail-close and pull out the slack method...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    I didn't know that. Been doing it the other way. I didn't fish much when I was young so maybe I missed that part. With all the stuff I am learning about spinning reels this year maybe I will start using them more than two or three tines a year.

Now if there was a way to have them not take up so much space.

Thanks for posting this.
    If you have a spot in your boat to mount this without it being in the way http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...roduct/104702/ it will get the spinning outfits off of the deck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just happy gilmore cast it and pinch the line on the retrieve and get all the twist and spin out of it lol especially when carp or cat fish the big sinker helps big time

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    If you have a spot in your boat to mount this without it being in the way http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...roduct/104702/ it will get the spinning outfits off of the deck.
    That would definitely help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    If I don't close the bail with the handle as I control the length of the cast I also do what you shared which is close my bail manually with my hand and I have developed
    Try dropping your index finger on your castin hand to the spool to control distance. You can also just put your other hand over the top of the spool to stop the line. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

To me spinning reels seem complicated. I'm gonna try these line stretch methods though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tyme you are right on if you do this you will not have any problem getting the loop out. I very seldom have a loop as I close the bail manually and put some tension on the line before I start to reel. With that said when I do get a loop a lot of tymes I do not catch it and make my cast which is a problem, I have found when this happens if it is not to bad I can close the bail loosen the drag and still pull the line out and save the day.