Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Elkhorn Question

Hey,
    Elkhorn Creek is very low-So low that Canoeky is not offering canoe trips.Would this be a good time to wade fish for smallmouth?
    Thanks,
    Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, now would be a good time to wade mainly because you might be able to access some water that you possibly could not if the creek was up. Any time the water is low, the fish will probably be more concentrated in deeper holes. With the condition of the creek, it may be better suited for largemouth fishing around structure in deeper pools. I think that in a condition like this, the key is to try to fish the creek after we finally get some rain and there is some current flowing. Elkhorn really turns on when it is flowing as long as it is not too high and muddy. Be sure to concentrate on the ripples if you can find them it you are looking for smallmouth, especially in areas with submerged rocks

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I add to this - we've had an extended period of very low water and the fish I've been catching on Elkhorn have the appearance of being very stressed. Handle with care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    Can I add to this - we've had an extended period of very low water and the fish I've been catching on Elkhorn have the appearance of being very stressed. Handle with care.
    To the point to where I have left them alone for awhile......good post man.

Post Thanks / Like
    When the creek is low i always have great luck above the dams for catfishing but as for bass i find any riffle with rock around it and bounce a small paca chunk on a regular jig head about 1/16 ounce and wear them out also another trick when wading elkhorn i always keep a 1/8 ounce buzz bait handy and a rebel pop r but one of the best baits to use this time of year is a bitsy tube with just a bronze bait holder hook on the insode of it and just toss it near wood and twitch it like a fluke ive slayed the fish doing that trick but the parts i wade is down below great crossings and from 25 dam in georgetown down to behind the colony which is a good half to full day wade

Post Thanks / Like
    Floated the "Whitewater" section of Elkhorn early this month. Water was very low and I had to get out and float my kayak through almost every single riffle. Only caught 6 average bass, but I honestly didn't have a whole lot of time to fish. Had to keep moving. Water was very clear. I did see some very nice smallmouth. Some huge drum also. A 4 ft. Gar came out of nowhere and grabbed a bass I was reeling in. I lost that battle, but did salvage the topwater lure I was using. Very exciting for a few moments! An exhausting but beautiful and rewarding trip. I now have paddled all of the Elkhorn from the forks to the Ky River. I eventually want to paddle all of the section between Georgetown and the Forks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elkhorn 9.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	8605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elkhorn 1.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	8606  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timmbur22 View Post
    Floated the "Whitewater" section of Elkhorn early this month. Water was very low and I had to get out and float my kayak through almost every single riffle. Only caught 6 average bass, but I honestly didn't have a whole lot of time to fish. Had to keep moving. Water was very clear. I did see some very nice smallmouth. Some huge drum also. A 4 ft. Gar came out of nowhere and grabbed a bass I was reeling in. I lost that battle, but did salvage the topwater lure I was using. Very exciting for a few moments! An exhausting but beautiful and rewarding trip. I now have paddled all of the Elkhorn from the forks to the Ky River. I eventually want to paddle all of the section between Georgetown and the Forks.
    As far as i know the only trully shallow spot is down below robinson dam in gtown anf a few spots behind cardome and the colony but that stretch of the creek if you wanna fish it the trick is small paca chunks and bitsy tubes rigged weightless and drifted with a jig head

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're going to wade with it this hot/low/clear...you better be as quiet as possible. The fish will hear you coming from a good clip. I like to try to stay on the bank as much as I can, and I like making LONG BOMB casts with stuff like big topwater plugs.

When it gets this low though, I tend to leave them alone as a couple others have said. Hard to fish ankle deep water with anything other than topwater, really.

Post Thanks / Like

Waded Elkhorn several time recently

Perfect time for wading, or at least it has been in the Franklin Co. area of the main creek. Fished smallies there for the last few weekends and a usual day spent there has typically been netting 20 fish on fly tackle. Most of those are in the 7-11 inch range with usually two to three a day in the 12-16" slot. Water had been pretty clear until this weekend due to the rains but the fish were biting well. Water levels being low have definitely been good for the wading fisherman. Good luck out there if you go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Allex View Post
    Perfect time for wading, or at least it has been in the Franklin Co. area of the main creek. Fished smallies there for the last few weekends and a usual day spent there has typically been netting 20 fish on fly tackle. Most of those are in the 7-11 inch range with usually two to three a day in the 12-16" slot. Water had been pretty clear until this weekend due to the rains but the fish were biting well. Water levels being low have definitely been good for the wading fisherman. Good luck out there if you go.
    How on earth did u get away with wading in frankfort i waded up to the dam a few years back had the best small mouth fishing day in my life also got swamped by the state boys and sheriffs saying i was trespassing and i was fishing with a kdwfr worker who works at the mollusk conservation center and they still ran us off and we was in the middle of the creek that town has some of the stupidest rules ive ever heard of when it comes to wading

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiehunterchris View Post
    How on earth did u get away with wading in frankfort i waded up to the dam a few years back had the best small mouth fishing day in my life also got swamped by the state boys and sheriffs saying i was trespassing and i was fishing with a kdwfr worker who works at the mollusk conservation center and they still ran us off and we was in the middle of the creek that town has some of the stupidest rules ive ever heard of when it comes to wading
    Check again... Those rules have been changed to reflect that since Elkhorn Creek is deemed to be a navigable waterway and your entry point into the creek is legal (VPA or permissible private property) a Franklin co judge has ruled that you are perfectly legal in your fishing practice of wading the creek wherever you wish, so long as you stay in the ceek. So while it used to be crazy for waders... that has since changed. Here is an article I found on that in a magazine. http://southsidermagazine.com/2013/1...r-strike-zone/
    Just scroll down to Elkhorn and the Note section there.

Post Thanks / Like

Elkhorn Report Saturday 7-26

Hey,
    Waded Saturday,6:00 AM till 11:00AM.Only caught one,but it was a nice,healthy 15 inch smallmouth,caught and released unharmed on a good old wacky rigged Senko worm.That made the whole trip worthwhile.The fish seemed active to me-I saw some hogs jump.I also tried tubes and a small blue topwater Rapala.The water was low and clear ,so I probably was spooking the fish.I've been using 8 Lb braid with an 8 Lb fluorocarbon leader and it seems like I can't cast the braid as far.Also,I didn't cover a lot of water because I didn't want to stray too far from the VPA where I started because I wasn't sure about the trespassing laws and how they apply to waders.So I never fished near any ripples etc.Anyway,Thanks to all of you for your advice and information.
    Kurt