Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky River help

What types of lures should I throw at Kentucky river to catch bass?
    also what type of structure should I be fishing.
    have never fished there before and wanting to try some new waters
    thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbec74 View Post
    What types of lures should I throw at Kentucky river to catch bass?
    also what type of structure should I be fishing.
    have never fished there before and wanting to try some new waters
    thanks in advance
    Think of the river as a big creek. Bass will be positioned behind objects that break the current for them, or in eddies or other logical ambush points like cuts or the mouths of creeks. Try to cast upstream and bring your lure downstream.

I think the same lures that work elsewhere work on the river. Back when they used to have a regular tourney in the Frankfort pool, a bubble-gum colored trick worm used to bring in a lot of fish. I've also had success in the river on Texas-rigged worms and pig/jigs.

I've always found the fishing a lot better in the fall and spring than in the dead of summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    The river is a fantastic fishery. There are many bass and crappie in there. I have been fishing the river pretty regularly in pools 6-8. One thing I really enjoy in the dead of summer is fishing the "fast water"! Go upstream as far as you can, just below the lock and first and foremost, BE SAFE, and Wear a Life Jacket!!!
    Then, after you put on your life jacket!! Get right up in the fast water and pitch craws and such right in the foamy white water coming down the lock face. Wear your life jacket!!! Of course, this is usually after a pretty long dry period, at least 2-3 weeks, the river can be really mean!! Definitely proceed with caution, and just use common sense on how rough the water is. I would love to take a trip to the mighty Ohio, and fish near some of the bigger fast water with my kids. But the river scares many parents, so that might have to be a father son trip!! Good luck, and did I mention to wear a PFD!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a good population of smallies in the ky river?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    Is there a good population of smallies in the ky river?
    I can only speak to the Frankfort pool and a little bit farther downstream.

KDFWR did a survey a while back and they found a few smallmouth in the river, at least more so than usual. They weren't big but they were there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    I can only speak to the Frankfort pool and a little bit farther downstream.

KDFWR did a survey a while back and they found a few smallmouth in the river, at least more so than usual. They weren't big but they were there.
    So what you're saying is I shouldn't go there expecting to catch any? Is there just mainly largemouth and spots? I live in shelbyville and have always wanted to fish the ky river but I don't know the water and don't feel like messing my boat up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    So what you're saying is I shouldn't go there expecting to catch any? Is there just mainly largemouth and spots? I live in shelbyville and have always wanted to fish the ky river but I don't know the water and don't feel like messing my boat up.
    Near Lock 4, and downstream near the mouth of Elkhorn Creek, you have a fair chance to catch a smallmouth. Elsewhere, in my experience at least, it's mainly largemouth and yes some spots in the rocky areas.

I wouldn't worry too much about messing your boat up. Ramps are good and channel is easy to navigate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I caught a 4 lb smallmouth at the locport pool a few years back while also battling a fish that i for the life of me couldnt move the damndable thing while i had one pole in one hand fighting this abomination i was reeling in the smallie with my teeth and the other hand lost the giant and got the 4 lber.... horrible trade

Post Thanks / Like

pm

pm sent