Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

See what's underwater at Lake Cumberland

Google Maps and Apple Satelite maps still show the lake at the low level 680 or there abouts. If you did not commit the entire lake to memory when it was down go to these maps and make some screen shots and save them on your phone. These visible spots are 2020 vision of the bottom in areas/depths fished for most species.

I got all hung up on this extending point (first photo) for which there was no visible clue from the visible shoreline. See photo.

Second photo see the trees which are now under water.

In the third photo check out the rocks that are now maybe 20'-30' down under. I graphed that spot several weeks ago one evening and the next morning and there were fish all over it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jul 29, 6 10 28 PM.jpg 
Views:	916 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	8639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trees.jpg 
Views:	2125 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	8642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocks.jpg 
Views:	947 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	8643  
    Last edited by peter; 07-29-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: More photos

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that awesome or what?!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a smartphone, you can tell it to "tile" the map for that area.........then all the TIFF files are stored on the phone.

A quick upload, and you have all the TIFF files that are used to build that google earth map. With some work you can put all the tiffs together, and presto, chango you have a map of the entire area.

You can also screen print areas you'd like too..........

Bottom line, if you fish Cumberland, GET the satellite images right now, and save them. Things will be on FIRE in a year or so. Heck things are probably already on FIRE .

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post, thanks for sharing.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Gave away my secret

Hey. That was a secret that I thought only I had. Thanks for telling everyone

Just kidding. this is a great tool. You can also go back in history on GE and see other times the lake was photoed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cmac0206 View Post
    Hey. That was a secret that I thought only I had. Thanks for telling everyone Just kidding. this is a great tool. You can also go back in history on GE and see other times the lake was photoed.
    Good point. I thought about that. In reality though I thought who will actually go and do that and how often do most actually fish. I had intended to photograph certain areas of the lake before it went back up. Well I was too busy enjoying the lake and fishin to do it. Then the lake is back up. The photos would have to be catalogued in some way so you know where the image is and I am not one to key in lats and longs on a graph. With my error rate I would be in the wrong place all the time. Down scan is out there in real time and it shows the fish too and most will have it in a number if years. If you can PM me what GE is where you can see other history. I don't want you to give away your other secret. I hope to take some screen shots if I have the time and inclination. Pretty cool. Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by peter; 07-30-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Well I was too busy enjoying the lake and fishin to do it. Then the lake is back up. The photos would have to be catalogued in some way so you know where the image is and I am not one to key in lays and longs on a graph.
    I have a collection of photos covering all of Fishing Creek to Burnside with GPS coordinates. I had hoped to take them when the lake was 680 but the rains came in March of 2013 and the lake was 690. Being a computer guy I created a program that uses a camera, GPS, and database to store all the related data. The camera was acting up so I didn't get as much of the lake photographed as I had hoped. But if they drop to 690 winter pool this fall I'm hoping to take some more.

The rocks in the attached photo can be found at 37.0344616, -84.69356.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1007700.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	8668  

Post Thanks / Like
    There is another very simple way to "home in" on a specific target without saving files to your phone, printing pictures etc etc. Take your laptop with the satellite image your looking at while sitting in your boat with your depthfinder/gps screen opened. Identify the target structure you want to investigate on the satellite image and then look at the gps screen and locate that target area and way point it. When you finally make it to the lake turn on your depth finder /chart plotter and drive to the way point and start graphing to fine tune the target area.
    This will allow you to put the phone where it belongs on a fishing trip.....out of sight lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the laptop work sitting in your boat in your garage on a rainy windy day .....or when you cant sleep...or when youre in trouble with the missus and not allowed in the house for a bit. Point is you could have 15 target areas waypointed and studied PRIOR to game day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    Do the laptop work sitting in your boat in your garage on a rainy windy day .....or when you cant sleep...or when youre in trouble with the missus and not allowed in the house for a bit. Point is you could have 15 target areas waypointed and studied PRIOR to game day.
    I thought for a while your first sentence was a question. Read it that way. Lol. Was wondering what had gotten in the drinking water down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Joking about giving away secret

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Good point. I thought about that. In reality though I thought who will actually go and do that and how often do most actually fish. I had intended to photograph certain areas of the lake before it went back up. Well I was too busy enjoying the lake and fishin to do it. Then the lake is back up. The photos would have to be catalogued in some way so you know where the image is and I am not one to key in lats and longs on a graph. With my error rate I would be in the wrong place all the time. Down scan is out there in real time and it shows the fish too and most will have it in a number if years. If you can PM me what GE is where you can see other history. I don't want you to give away your other secret. I hope to take some screen shots if I have the time and inclination. Pretty cool. Thanks for the reply.
    GE = Googlearth. on the computer version go to the tab for history. You can go back several years of photos and see what the lake looked like when the photos were taken. There is one particular one for Barren river lake that is awesome. Water was waaaay down and shows a lot of things no one would suspect. This works same for all lakes. However, the older the photos, the worse the quality of satellite pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips!!!