Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

thank you to the 2 guys who helped me at Settlers

This morning my wife and I went to Taylorsville Lake to crappie/bluegill fish. We put in at Settlers boat ramp.I had unloaded the boat,left my wife at the ramp holding the bowline and had pulled the truck and trailer up to the parking lot. Upon returning I found my wife laying on the ramp bleeding from a head wound.She was awake and talking but couldn't get up. I took my t-shirt and and put it on the cut on the back of the head and called 911. As I was talking to the dispatcher 2 guys came in to load their boat.They stopped and loaded myboat and pulled it back up to the parking lot. Needless to say I was in shock from my wifes accident and if it wasn't for them I guess the boat would still be in the water.She's ok,shook up and nauceous. Still not sure why she fell or lost her balance. This is our second time out in the boat and I'm ready to sell but she says no. Been trying to teach her how to pull the trailer out of the water or how to run the boat but she perfers to hold the rope.
    I'm sorry I didn't ask the 2 guys their names and thanks to Spencer Co. EMS and Taylorsville Fire Dept for their quick response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear everybody is OK.

I agree with your wife--don't sell the boat. It will be too much fun.

If this the first boat you have ever owned (or your fifth) you'll likely make some mistakes.

I hope you find out who the guys are that helped you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good post and I hope she is alright. Good folks are those that are outdoorsmen, not all but at least most, glad you ran across some of the most.....

Best wishes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronsm View Post
    This morning my wife and I went to Taylorsville Lake to crappie/bluegill fish. We put in at Settlers boat ramp.I had unloaded the boat,left my wife at the ramp holding the bowline and had pulled the truck and trailer up to the parking lot. Upon returning I found my wife laying on the ramp bleeding from a head wound.She was awake and talking but couldn't get up. I took my t-shirt and and put it on the cut on the back of the head and called 911. As I was talking to the dispatcher 2 guys came in to load their boat.They stopped and loaded myboat and pulled it back up to the parking lot. Needless to say I was in shock from my wifes accident and if it wasn't for them I guess the boat would still be in the water.She's ok,shook up and nauceous. Still not sure why she fell or lost her balance. This is our second time out in the boat and I'm ready to sell but she says no. Been trying to teach her how to pull the trailer out of the water or how to run the boat but she perfers to hold the rope.
    I'm sorry I didn't ask the 2 guys their names and thanks to Spencer Co. EMS and Taylorsville Fire Dept for their quick response.
    Man, that is tough.

If you find out any more about how she slipped and fell, maybe share it. There may be information there that helps someone in the future.

I'm sure glad she's OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope your wife is okay.

Get a rubber keel guard on your boat. Comes time to launch, put the wife in the passenger seat and tell her to relax. Power launch off the trailer, or bump it off with a rope tied to the trailer. Skooch it up on the bank or ramp so it won't float away, the keel guard will protect the boat.

Go park the truck while your wife sits in the boat, then come back and go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear she is alright.
    Some of the ramps at cumberland have a swath of algae growing right where the water meets the pavement, and it is very slippery. My truck tires actually spun a little pulling the boat yesterday .
    This slime reminds me of when we were kids we would go to the creeks looking for the big flat rocks that had this stuff and take off running and slide for a long way.
    might be the wife slipped on this stuff without knowing it was present.

Keep the boat, she could have fallen at home or the grocery store or the gas station.
    Thankfully she is ok

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear she is ok. Like the others have said, don't get rid of your boat. Learn from the accident and enjoy your boat. My wife started going with me sometimes and I watch her close because she is not experienced with boats and being on a lake. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks,the wife is healing,had a head laceration and mild concussion.She's off work for a week and I took off Monday to take care of her and to take her to doctor for followup. She's a little gun shy about the boat but she loves fishing in the boat. I'll continue to coax her about either operating the boat or trailering. It could had been me instead of her. She loves bluegilling with hook and bobber so I put all my bassin gear up for a while. No one said the learning experience was easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronsm View Post
    Thanks,the wife is healing,had a head laceration and mild concussion.She's off work for a week and I took off Monday to take care of her and to take her to doctor for followup. She's a little gun shy about the boat but she loves fishing in the boat. I'll continue to coax her about either operating the boat or trailering. It could had been me instead of her. She loves bluegilling with hook and bobber so I put all my bassin gear up for a while. No one said the learning experience was easy.
    Do you have any idea how she slipped. Was is algae at the bottom of the ramp? Something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes there was a lot of algae on the ramp. Several people came up afterwards saying the ramp has been slick. Between that and holding the bowline on the boat she slipped from that.