Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing the Canoe KY section of the elkhorn on sat

looks like the water level is just about perfect. going to use canoe ky and put in with their shuttle. looking back on older threads people suggested rebel craw, rapala shallow shad and a rapala jerkbait, but that was a 3 year old thread. any other suggestions? not looking for good spots, just lures/bait that has been working for you lately. Don't care to get only big ones, just hope to reel them. any other suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    Throw a beetle spin or in line spinner and you can catch all sorts of fish. Also if you fly fish at all just a littler foam fly works well. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

elkhorn

Hi,
    Please give us a report when you get back! I've waded Elkhorn but never canoed or kayaked.
    I've had bites on watermelon colored bitsy tubes and caught a nice smallmouth on a wacky rigged watermelon Senko worm.
    Good Luck,
    Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Elkhorn Data via USGS

Looks like the creek will still be up just a hair from the last round of rainstorms. I haven't been out that way to see the color.

That will give you a few eddies and scours to drag a bait through.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the color is a little off (as it looks like it should be), throw a 1/8 oz buzzbait in any slack areas with current nearby. Have another rod ready with a follow up lure-senko or tube jig if they miss the buzzbait. Old standby is no 7 gold rapala, either twitched on top of slow retrieve.

Should be good as color is perfect in North and South fork around Georgetown with plenty of flow. Be careful as it can get swift in parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1233 View Post
    Throw a beetle spin or in line spinner and you can catch all sorts of fish. Also if you fly fish at all just a littler foam fly works well. Good luck
    Good deal, i'll pick up a beetle spinner and try an in-line spinner

Quote Originally Posted by kvonn View Post
    Hi,
    Please give us a report when you get back! I've waded Elkhorn but never canoed or kayaked.
    I've had bites on watermelon colored bitsy tubes and caught a nice smallmouth on a wacky rigged watermelon Senko worm.
    Good Luck,
    Kurt
    thanks for the info, i'll let you know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    Elkhorn Data via USGS

Looks like the creek will still be up just a hair from the last round of rainstorms. I haven't been out that way to see the color.

That will give you a few eddies and scours to drag a bait through.
    unfortunately it looks like it is dropping quicker than I had anticipated, should still be fun though

Quote Originally Posted by chasmo View Post
    If the color is a little off (as it looks like it should be), throw a 1/8 oz buzzbait in any slack areas with current nearby. Have another rod ready with a follow up lure-senko or tube jig if they miss the buzzbait. Old standby is no 7 gold rapala, either twitched on top of slow retrieve.

Should be good as color is perfect in North and South fork around Georgetown with plenty of flow. Be careful as it can get swift in parts.
    awesome, thanks for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    we did the "fun day" section of canoe ky and it was a blast. water level was low, dragging really bad at points and getting stuck. water was dirty in the deep sections and clear through the rapids. the ONLY thing they were hitting was an inline spinner black chatreuse. i threw a beetle spinner, rebel craw, plastics etc. funny thing is that i was at my work pond this morning and the is the only thing they were hitting too.

Post Thanks / Like
    The in line's are my go to for the creeks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Went last evening on a beat-to-death section of the creek and caught a few. Biggest about 13". Seemed like perfect topwater conditions but only thing we could get to rise were gar.

All came on 4" worm.