Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Water coming out of cylinder

Ok so I know this isn't the boat forum but I need some advice

I have an 85hp Johnson that has been rebuilt about 16 years ago its a 78....Anyway I got water coming out of the top cylinder on the left side it's a V4 . This side has been bored out and new pistons put in .It runs great but my buddy noticed water dripping out the bottome of the engine cover and he thought it was the little hose that shoots the stream of water out.

But when I started it on the dock Sunday i seen water coming out on the top cylinder ....is this the head gasket? We inspected the head gasket and there is no discoloration and the gasket looks in tact.We did notice the hose that feeds that side of the engine had no clamp left and it had back almost all the way off the tube

ok, say it is the gasket do you folks think I could put some JB WELD on the spot where the water is coming out ?

I hate to sink any more money in this old deck boat it's a 78 and well I really dont wanna sink anymore in it .Doesnt have a live well and so forth but it is a cool ole Sylvan decker has lots of room and a center console any way any feedback would be appreciated !

Thanks
    JFW

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfw View Post
    Ok so I know this isn't the boat forum but I need some advice

I have an 85hp Johnson that has been rebuilt about 16 years ago its a 78....Anyway I got water coming out of the top cylinder on the left side it's a V4 . This side has been bored out and new pistons put in .It runs great but my buddy noticed water dripping out the bottome of the engine cover and he thought it was the little hose that shoots the stream of water out.

But when I started it on the dock Sunday i seen water coming out on the top cylinder ....is this the head gasket? We inspected the head gasket and there is no discoloration and the gasket looks in tact.We did notice the hose that feeds that side of the engine had no clamp left and it had back almost all the way off the tube

ok, say it is the gasket do you folks think I could put some JB WELD on the spot where the water is coming out ?

I hate to sink any more money in this old deck boat it's a 78 and well I really dont wanna sink anymore in it .Doesnt have a live well and so forth but it is a cool ole Sylvan decker has lots of room and a center console any way any feedback would be appreciated !

Thanks
    JFW
    No. That is not the way you fix that. Hard to really know from your description of where its leaking. You can't inspects a gasket while it's still assembled. Sounds like head wasn't torqued correctly. Needs fixed before it gets in cylinder and ruins it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    No. That is not the way you fix that. Hard to really know from your description of where its leaking. You can't inspects a gasket while it's still assembled. Sounds like head wasn't torqued correctly. Needs fixed before it gets in cylinder and ruins it.
    ok so I was surprised to find a head gasket for 5.99 on iboats ...so can anyone tell me the torquing sequence and how many foot lbs i torque them ?

Post Thanks / Like
    ok so I was surprised to find a head gasket for 5.99 on iboats ...so can anyone tell me the torquing sequence and how many foot lbs i torque them ?
    Sequence is about like any other. Walk from center out in a couple stages . Not sure what torque spec is on that engine though. I would guess approx 25-30 lbs. did you find the problem first though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    Sequence is about like any other. Walk from center out in a couple stages . Not sure what torque spec is on that engine though. I would guess approx 25-30 lbs. did you find the problem first though?
    Well i think it's the head gasket almost has to be !

Post Thanks / Like
    Well i think it's the head gasket almost has to be !
    Maybe. And maybe it's worse . Really need to inspect inside it and see what damage has been done, if water has been on cylinder,likely more damage than you see now.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I got lucky ...real lucky ...it was simply the hose clamp that broke that feeds that side of the engine with water ...I am back on the lake in 15 minutes after checking it ....Usually I never get that lucky ...but I did lose my glasses while out there so that kinda puts a black cloud on the weeekend LOL