Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing Kayak

Post Thanks / Like
    Schymad, as you can see there is a different answer for each person. Nobody will be able to tell you which one is "best" for your son. I would definitely take the advice above and go to Canoe KY in Frankfort and try a few out. They are right on the water and you will be able to quickly feel the differences in these kayaks vs. just looking at them and speculating. Believe me there are BIG differences, even in very similar kayaks.

There is a lot to keep in mind when you are trying them out too. How big is your son? Will he be fishing creeks, ponds, lakes, rivers, large reservoirs? Does he want to stand while fishing? (fishing kayaks have come a long way and standing is fairly easy in many of them) Does he mind sitting in a puddle of water (cheaper) or would he prefer a "lawn chair" style seat (more expensive) that is becoming more popular these days? Just try them all, even if its a high end kayak, and if Canoe KY doesn't have a used one Craigslist might.

Just don't make the same mistake MANY first time kayak buyers (myself included) did and buy a kayak based solely on price then regret it and end up buying a kayak that truly suits you a few months later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schymad View Post
    I'm in Richmond, KY. Not sure of any places that sell used kayaks, but that would be ideal I think. Know of any places?
    Quest outdoors carries some good brands. If you're looking for a place that has a lot to offer, check out Hook 1 around Nashville. Ton of yaks and probably can call down there and ask about used ones. I don't believe they carry Jackson which is what I'm looking for. How will it be transported?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a great article on first time kayak buying. http://www.yakangler.com/blogs/on-th...e-kayak-buyers

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Definitely going to check out Canoe Ky in Frankfort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the Canoe and Kayak rental businesses around the bigger lakes will sell their canoes and kayaks after the shiny new look rubs off them. Those guys would be your best bet for figuring out what you do and dont want before you go sinking serious money into a brand new one.