Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Kayak

My son is wanting a fishing kayak for Christmas. What is a good, reliable, safe, fishing kayak for under $1000? I've seen them much cheaper but I wonder if you get what you pay for with kayaks? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you do get what you pay for. You are probably looking for a "Recreational Kayak" .......not a whitewater or touring or other type. These have a wider, flatter bottom and are a good choice for fishing as well. Next you must choose whether you want a traditional kayak with a "cockpit" and sides.......or a sit-on top. I have the traditional type, but sit-on tops are becoming very popular and are "self-bailing". (water runs right on out).

Some good brands you might want to check out are Wilderness Systems, Jackson, Perception and Old Town.....just to name a few of my favorites that might be within your budget.

Here's a site that might also assist you: http://www.kayakreview.org/

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Advance Angler and have been very happy with it. It is safe reliable and the "Advance Angler" model comes pre-rigged with some fishing gear.

I bought mine from LL Bean (can't beat their service) and while usually it is more than $1000 I had gotten an e-mail they are running a sale right now so when I read your post I went and checked the price and they currently have it on sale for 20% off which brings it just under $1000. You really can't beat that price for the quality and features.

I don't know how long it will be on sale but they do run sales periodically if you wanted to wait closer to Christmas, but not always with that large a discount.They do have other brands and models that are less expensive as well if that one is still more than you wanted to spend.

Here is a link to the one I reverenced above. Good Luck, I'm sure your son will love whichever you end up deciding to get him. That is an awesome gift!

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/81895...Value_0=Desert Camo&productId=1373313

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the sitin model. I think its a future beach trophy 126 and I bought it myself a few years back. Personally I wish I would have bought a sit on top but I love mine still. Also you have to look at where he's going to be using it. A pond, creeks, lakes, etc. and just a personal opinion, the way I use mine (being a 16 year old kid) I'm a little rough on it. I take mine thought the creeks like Floyd's fork all the time and it's getting a little torn up on the bottom, which will happen to any kayak. That's why I would buy maby a $300-$600 kayak so when/if it does get torn up it's not as big of a deal. My buddy just bought a field and stream from cabelas and he loves it. His is a field and stream eagle run. Just make sure to look around and understand what fits him best.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want well under $1000 check out the basspro ascend. Decent reviews, but I can't say I've used one. I figured for the money it was a good route to go if I ever get around to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    best bang for buck is the perception pescador 12, it is an old wilderness systems tarpon 120. I would also look at the WS tarpon, the WS ride if he wants to stand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used an ocean kayak caper model for years. Sit on top. They have both angler and regular models. If you can use basic tools, opt for the regular model and do your own mods (rod holders, depth finder, etc.). Have tried a wilderness systems kayak and those seem real good too. You might look around for places that rent kayaks. Let your son try a few different ones and figure out what feels better to him. Everyone is a little different in what they like in a kayak. Also, many places that sell kayaks will sell them after labor day, so you could pick up a used one for somewhat less than a new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you located? With the new models coming out, you may look at picking a lightly used one and get more bank for you buck. Once you get the yak, don't forget paddles, vest, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Richmond, KY. Not sure of any places that sell used kayaks, but that would be ideal I think. Know of any places?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schymad View Post
    I'm in Richmond, KY. Not sure of any places that sell used kayaks, but that would be ideal I think. Know of any places?
    Canoe KY in Frankfort sells them. I think they also have their new ones discounted at this time as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoner View Post
    If you want well under $1000 check out the basspro ascend. Decent reviews, but I can't say I've used one. I figured for the money it was a good route to go if I ever get around to it.
    Got one last week and took it out over the weekend.

I got the FS128T, the biggest one. I'm a big guy so stability was the key for me. It seems to track pretty well and is extremely stable. Despite its size it is fairly maneuverable. Some of the hatches leak but I've read you can address that issue with some silicone. So far, so good.

Downside, it's a really heavy beast to load/unload LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Jackson Coosa Yakattack edition that I will be looking to sell before Christmas. The kayak retails for $1299 and I will be asking around $1000. It will come with all of the accessories that it originally came with. Its a great kayak for moving water but definitely versatile enough for lakes and ponds too. I am planning to sell it because I will be getting the new Coosa HD that should be coming out in November.