Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    According to this article and several reports that I've researched the freshwater species of jellyfish is not a true jellyfish as true jellyfish are strictly marine animals. http://www.kentuckyawake.org/Freshwater_Jellyfish
    They are Hydrozoans, not true Jellyfish, although still cnidarian.

Post Thanks / Like
    So that means that if you include this invasive species from China there would be two different species of jellyfish in the state? http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactS...speciesID=1068
    Polyps discovered in Philadelphia were initially described as a separate species, but were later determined to be a form of C. sowerbyi (Boulenger and Flower, 1928). So there is only 1 species that I am aware of in the United States, polyps and resting bodies are probably translocated accidentally with stocked fish and aquatic plants or by waterfowl.

Craspedacusta sowerbyi was discovered in the Huron River near Ann Arbor, MI, in 1933, and in Lake Erie shortly thereafter. These hydrozoans have been here a really long time, and apparently they most likely got here by natural means in the 1800s or earlier, probably by fish, birds, or plants or a combination of all three. They don't fit the actual definition of an invasive species however because they are common outside their native range globally, it is rarely in harmful densities to a native habitat, which invasive is defined as being in "harmful densities".

I am of the belief that they most likely originated in the Yangtze River but made there way here naturally many, many years ago. To be a native species its presence in a region must be the result of only natural processes, with no human intervention. And they are not endemic to a specific region so I would consider them to be a naturally occuring, native species.

Post Thanks / Like
    So that means that if you include this invasive species from China there would be two different species of jellyfish in the state? http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactS...speciesID=1068
    All Craspedacusta species inhabit freshwater bodies of Eastern Asia (China and Japan). However, one species Craspedacusta sowerbyi Lankester, 1880, has expanded its home-range and currently has a worldwide distribution. This species has been detected in all continents except Antarctica (Dumont 1994).

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel smarter just from reading this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    I feel smarter just from reading this thread.
    Like the water brains on this page? http://www.kentuckyawake.org/Bryozoa

There are everywhere on GRL now.

Post Thanks / Like
    When we saw these on Cumberland the LMBV was in full swing there, we wondered if the two were tide together, I could see a bass going after one of these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Just like JCB said. I too feel smarter. I have seen them in Cave Run. I was aware of them but still when I seen them it was very interesting. What is just as amazing is the Bryozoa. Always thought it was some amphibious lizard type critters egg mass. I now know. Thanks everybody for the education.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was fishing at Cedar Creek Lake today and found this little guy.. I ended up seeing 3 of them. Been on the water for a long time can't say i have seen them before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-20140903-224751.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	8941
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-20140903-224751 (610x460).jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	8942  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumphunter View Post
    I was fishing at Cedar Creek Lake today and found this little guy.. I ended up seeing 3 of them. Been on the water for a long time can't say i have seen them before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-20140903-224751.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	8941
    wow man that is awesome! Thanks for sharing. How big was it? About the size of a quarter? Smaller or larger?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckykingfisher View Post
    wow man that is awesome! Thanks for sharing. How big was it? About the size of a quarter? Smaller or larger?

When it was swimming, It went from a dime to a quarter in size. It was a really neat experience to watch them swim.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Man, I almost forgot about these guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckykingfisher View Post
    Has anyone ever seen any before? If so when and where at?
    About 14 years ago, I was fortunate to work for a Civil Engineering Firm that was sub-contracted by the COE to collect water samples on fifteen lakes in KY, OH, and IN. Great friggin job! Hopped from lake to lake from April to September. Couldn't ask for a better office.

But as for the jellyfish, all of the lakes the other guys mentioned, but I can add a couple more. I've seen them on Patoka, Mississinewa, Cagles Mill, Cecil Harden, Cave Run, Carr Creek, Caesar Creek, and East Fork/Harsha. Water temps at the surface were over 80 degrees, and as soon as the wind picked up they kinda dissapeared unless they were right under you. They seem to like clear infertile water.

The biggest flock, herd, school I saw was on Cave Run on the bluffs just down from Zilpo. There were hundreds. We collected a dozen or so cuz neither me nor my co-worker had seen them before. Took em home and put em the fish tank where they survived for about two weeks. My pet fish would test bite them and then go swimming away, shaking their heads. I assume they sting!

Post Thanks / Like

Cave run

I had never heard of these little fellas until this post. Today I was on cave run around zilpo flats and looked down and seen something. After futher inspection I realized it was a jellyfish. It was about the size of a quarter. I have to say that was pretty cool. Oh and I seen a guy pull out a nice toothy one on the flats.