Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida bass

Post Thanks / Like

Florida bass

I saw a tv show about the fishing in the state of Texas. They had a state record back in the 1940's of a 13 lb bass.
    Since they have been stocking the Florida bass there has been over 550 bass above the 13 lb mark. The records
    show 65 lakes in Texas have produced a bass above that mark. Our kdfwl recently stocked some 5000 Florida
    bass . Did they stock them where an avid bass fisher person could catch them ? Please let me know where you
    would stock them. I have asked about 50 fellow fisher persons and none could believe where they stocked such
    a valuable resource . If you know the answer please do not post on this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    According to what I've been able to find the name Florida bass is a regional nickname for the largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides floridanus) commonly found in Kentucky and many Texas lakes.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/lmb/

http://www.kentuckylake.com/fishing/...l#.VAMr56PD99A

Perhaps your referring to the peacock bass?

Post Thanks / Like
    Theres a northern strain largemouth which is what we have here in KY. The Florida strain bass is found in the southern and western US where the water doesnt get as cold. They look very similiar but have a different genetic make up and have different growth rates which is why you see larger bass coming from areas where the Florida strain have been stocked. With that said, they did stock some FL strain in KY Lake a few years back and it wouldbt surprise me if they stocked some in "trophy" lakes like Cedar Creek

Post Thanks / Like

florida bass

Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    According to what I've been able to find the name Florida bass is a regional nickname for the largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides floridanus) commonly found in Kentucky and many Texas lakes.

The Florida bass I am referring to is a strain of largemouth bass .The peacock bass came from South America .

Post Thanks / Like

floria bass

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Theres a northern strain largemouth which is what we have here in KY. The Florida strain bass is found in the southern and western US where the water doesnt get as cold. They look very similiar but have a different genetic make up and have different growth rates which is why you see larger bass coming from areas where the Florida strain have been stocked. With that said, they did stock some FL strain in KY Lake a few years back and it wouldbt surprise me if they stocked some in "trophy" lakes like Cedar Creek
    The Florida strain of bass has been stocked in Tennessee recently and is surviving very well. They are already catching
    large stringers of these. One stringer was caught in a tournament that weighed in over 41 lbs . I believe that was a five
    fish limit. One of the first lakes to stock them was Millwood lake in Arkansas. A 10 lb bass was caught in a small pond in
    the city limits of Louisville about 2 years ago. The next week someone in kdfwl stated they do not stock the bass there
    any more,because it was cost prohibitive. My statement refers to the state of Texas and they stocked 5,000,000 bass
    in one year. Maybe we got the alligator gar the state stocked back a year or two from Texas.

Post Thanks / Like

I was referring to the information in these two articles which quotes the name Florida largemouth bass along with the scientific names that are listed along with the regional nicknames I referred too. If someone would tell me which article is incorrect I'll be glad to complain the publisher. I would be interested in seeing the scientific name of the Florida bass that the author of this thread is referring to since it appears the term Florida bass seems to be a generic term.

According to what I read the northern strain of largemouth is Micropterus salmoides salmoides.

I am aware that the peacock bass is non-indigenous to Florida.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was referring to the information in these two articles which quotes the name Florida largemouth bass along with the scientific names that are listed along with the regional nicknames I referred too. If someone would tell me which article is incorrect I'll be glad to complain the publisher. I would be interested in seeing the scientific name of the Florida bass that the author of this thread is referring to since it appears the term Florida bass seems to be a generic term.

According to what I read the northern strain of largemouth is Micropterus salmoides salmoides.

I am aware that the peacock bass is non-indigenous to Florida.
    The term Florida bass is not a generic term, it is a strain of largemouth bass having its own scientific name and if you have found that it is a "regional nickname" for the northern strain then I would guess that the region being referred to in this case would be the region(s) of Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, Texas, and any other region in which the Florida Bass has been introduced.

The two recognized subspecies of the largemouth bass are the northern largemouth (Micropterus salmoides salmoides) and the Florida largemouth (Micropterus salmoides floridanus).

Post Thanks / Like

FL Bass Stocking in KY

I saw this report in BASS TIMES today, and I was completely and utterly dumbfounded. It is as though the Division of Fisheries decided to place these fingerlings in the most illogical water they could find in Kentucky. There is cutting edge fisheries management, and then there is whatever they do in Kentucky. What a shame.

I would have naturally assumed they would have stocked FL Bass in one of our most productive largemouth fisheries i.e. Kentucky/Barkley...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drichard466 View Post
    The term Florida bass is not a generic term, it is a strain of largemouth bass having its own scientific name and if you have found that it is a "regional nickname" for the northern strain then I would guess that the region being referred to in this case would be the region(s) of Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, Texas, and any other region in which the Florida Bass has been introduced.

The two recognized subspecies of the largemouth bass are the northern largemouth (Micropterus salmoides salmoides) and the Florida largemouth (Micropterus salmoides floridanus).
    How do you interpret this? http://www.explorekentuckylake.com/l...ng/species.htm

It says Micropterus salmoides floridanus does it not?

What does this say?
    http://aquafind.com/Bass/Bass-Florida.php

Point being that Florida bass or hybrids thereof are in Kentucky, whether it be naturally or by introduction, but none the less but they are here.

Post Thanks / Like
    This discussion board has become pretty educational here lately lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LureProf View Post

It is as though the Division of Fisheries decided to place these fingerlings in the most illogical water they could find in Kentucky.

So where did they stock them?

Post Thanks / Like

florida bass

I was hoping to get some opinions on where the serious bassfisher person would stock these. In all the kdfwl wisdom,
    they stocked some in smallmouth bass dominated ELKHORN CREEK the rest in Salt River. They spent money back
    some years, and created a trophy lake (Cedar Creek), and then put fish that grow to trophy size in a creek.
    If the Florida species bass was in the state of Kentucky, I believe our records would show more than 3 bass weighing 13 lbs or more in the last 50 years.