Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Florida bass

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnorth View Post
    I received an email the first of the week from a person indicating he is a director in the kdfwl. The email was addressed to
    another person that works for the state . The email stated the bass were not Florida strain . I deleted the email , and then
    realized I should have kept it. The person that made the statement should have posted it on this site , that way more than
    one person would have knowledge of this. May it is a secret among state employees. I also would like to know where
    the person that wrote the article for bassin times got his information.
    The person that responded to my inquiry was Lee McClellan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    The biologist for KDFR responded back to my inquiry. (actually my hubby emailed the question) The biologist said that all of the largemouth bass here in Kentucky is the northern strain and that Kentucky is too far north for the Florida strain to survive here. Hybrids was not mentioned. That being said it's obvious that MagikSmallie is correct. In my opinion, it's apparent that there is a lot of misinformation and misconceptions out there regarding the Florida strain and I along with several others have fallen victim to believing what has been published on the subject even if it's from what could be considered a reliable source.

Now I'm wondering what the southern limit of the northern strain is. Do we have an Ichthyologist out there?
    The biologist was wrong because a few years ago Deer Creek Lodge in Sebree Ky dug a huge lake and stocked it with Florida Strain LargeMouth and those fish are reproducing well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWorker View Post
    The biologist was wrong because a few years ago Deer Creek Lodge in Sebree Ky dug a huge lake and stocked it with Florida Strain LargeMouth and those fish are reproducing well.
    Just took a look at Deer Creek's website. Those fish are hybrids.