Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida bass

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the article I found.

http://migration.kentucky.gov/newsro...r/07012014.htm

The article doesn't say that the bass stocked were anything but regular largemouth. I would be highly surprised if what was stocked are the same strain of bass you catch on Okeechobee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnorth View Post
    I was hoping to get some opinions on where the serious bassfisher person would stock these. In all the kdfwl wisdom,
    they stocked some in smallmouth bass dominated ELKHORN CREEK the rest in Salt River. They spent money back
    some years, and created a trophy lake (Cedar Creek), and then put fish that grow to trophy size in a creek.
    If the Florida species bass was in the state of Kentucky, I believe our records would show more than 3 bass weighing 13 lbs or more in the last 50 years.
    You are looking for answers to questions that are probably outside the scope of understanding of most folks on this discussion board. I know there are plenty of serious and dedicated bass fishermen (and women) on this board, myself included, but how many of us have a working knowledge of fisheries biology? Your questions would be better answered by a professional fisheries biologist. I have contacted them several times over the years and have found them to be approachable, knowledgeable, and willing to answer any question I could throw at them. You can contact them here: https://app.fw.ky.gov/WebContact/default.aspx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    You are looking for answers to questions that are probably outside the scope of understanding of most folks on this discussion board. I know there are plenty of serious and dedicated bass fishermen (and women) on this board, myself included, but how many of us have a working knowledge of fisheries biology? Your questions would be better answered by a professional fisheries biologist. I have contacted them several times over the years and have found them to be approachable, knowledgeable, and willing to answer any question I could throw at them. You can contact them here: https://app.fw.ky.gov/WebContact/default.aspx
    The Florida strain has shorter lifespan, higher growth rates, and more importantly, the trophy fish get lock jaw and are very difficult to catch when not on beds. The Mss strain lives longer, grows slower, but is more aggressive. PhD. Davies gave a few lectures while i was in school, and he was the first to study aggressiveness in the largemouth subspecies. In my opinion, since I have degree on this subject, stocking Florida bass in Kentucky is a waste of time because there is the hybrid tiger bass (from Southeastern Pond Management) which grows faster and is more aggressive than both subspecies. The lake i fished at in Auburn had 4 year old tiger bass already weighing 10+ pounds, granted it was in a heavily managed and unstable system. All that being said, there's a reason why their are 2 strains, they have advantages in different climates, and the Florida strain is at a disadvantage in Ky, or it'd already be here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    Thanks for the link. I've emailed the following question to them; Are the largemouth bass that are in most of Kentucky’s lakes and reservoirs the same species of bass or a hybrid of the species of largemouth bass that is commonly referred to as a Florida bass? I will post their response in this thread when I receive it.

I did run across this bit of information that I consider ironic since we have the issues with Asian carp here. "The largemouth bass has been introduced into many other countries due to its popularity as a sport fish. It causes the decline, displacement or extinctions of species in its new habitat, for example in Namibia."

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a tv show about the fishing in the state of Texas. They had a state record back in the 1940's of a 13 lb bass.
    Since they have been stocking the Florida bass there has been over 550 bass above the 13 lb mark. The records
    show 65 lakes in Texas have produced a bass above that mark. Our kdfwl recently stocked some 5000 Florida
    bass . Did they stock them where an avid bass fisher person could catch them ? Please let me know where you
    would stock them. I have asked about 50 fellow fisher persons and none could believe where they stocked such
    a valuable resource . If you know the answer please do not post on this site.
    "If you know the answer please do not post on this site"

What?!...Why are you posting anything about this on here if you don't want anyone to post the answer?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping to get some opinions on where the serious bassfisher person would stock these. In all the kdfwl wisdom,
    they stocked some in smallmouth bass dominated ELKHORN CREEK the rest in Salt River. They spent money back
    some years, and created a trophy lake (Cedar Creek), and then put fish that grow to trophy size in a creek.
    If the Florida species bass was in the state of Kentucky, I believe our records would show more than 3 bass weighing 13 lbs or more in the last 50 years.
    The fish that were stocked into Elkhorn, were placed into the North Fork pools, which is not dominated by the SM like the south fork and the main stem. Also, the largemouth that were stocked were NOT Florida strain.

Post Thanks / Like

Trophy bass

( "the trophy fish get lock jaw and are very difficult to catch when not on beds".)

Just another observation,being a recent transplant from California, I would disagree with this observation,the issue why fisherman dont't catch as many of the trophy size fize is as these fish reach the 10 lb + size their diet changes. They become more open water fish eating larger prey. So the Fisherman throwing standard fishing tackle will rarely hook into one of these fish.
    Most of mine have come on 10-12" Rainbow trout swim baits, 12" worms or 5-6" craws, all have been caught at night.
    Several I had caught while float tubing,that was a blast.
    Ive have caught numerous fish over 10lbs as have many of my friends and none of us fish beds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    The fish that were stocked into Elkhorn, were placed into the North Fork pools, which is not dominated by the SM like the south fork and the main stem. Also, the largemouth that were stocked were NOT Florida strain.
    The biologist for KDFR responded back to my inquiry. (actually my hubby emailed the question) The biologist said that all of the largemouth bass here in Kentucky is the northern strain and that Kentucky is too far north for the Florida strain to survive here. Hybrids was not mentioned. That being said it's obvious that MagikSmallie is correct. In my opinion, it's apparent that there is a lot of misinformation and misconceptions out there regarding the Florida strain and I along with several others have fallen victim to believing what has been published on the subject even if it's from what could be considered a reliable source.

Now I'm wondering what the southern limit of the northern strain is. Do we have an Ichthyologist out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    The biologist for KDFR responded back to my inquiry. (actually my hubby emailed the question) The biologist said that all of the largemouth bass here in Kentucky is the northern strain and that Kentucky is too far north for the Florida strain to survive here. Hybrids was not mentioned. That being said it's obvious that MagikSmallie is correct. In my opinion, it's apparent that there is a lot of misinformation and misconceptions out there regarding the Florida strain and I along with several others have fallen victim to believing what has been published on the subject even if it's from what could be considered a reliable source.

Now I'm wondering what the southern limit of the northern strain is. Do we have an Ichthyologist out there?
    Im almost positive some were stocked in KY Lake, but theres a very good possibility it was in TN waters. Im surprised they say some of the southern KY lakes are too far north seeing as how the FL strain has flourished in TN waters like Chick. I know GA Giant hybrid bluegill will live in KY waters and id like to see them give the FL strain bass a shot up here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Im almost positive some were stocked in KY Lake, but theres a very good possibility it was in TN waters. Im surprised they say some of the southern KY lakes are too far north seeing as how the FL strain has flourished in TN waters like Chick. I know GA Giant hybrid bluegill will live in KY waters and id like to see them give the FL strain bass a shot up here
    I used to catch coppernose bluegill in Alabama. It wasn't unusual to catch one in the 1.25 lb. to 1.5 lb. category and every year you'd hear rumors of a 3 pounder being caught but I never saw one. Coppernose's seem to do well in ponds but it was rare to see one in the Coosa. I don't think they survive very well north of southern Tennessee.

Post Thanks / Like

florida bass

I received an email the first of the week from a person indicating he is a director in the kdfwl. The email was addressed to
    another person that works for the state . The email stated the bass were not Florida strain . I deleted the email , and then
    realized I should have kept it. The person that made the statement should have posted it on this site , that way more than
    one person would have knowledge of this. May it is a secret among state employees. I also would like to know where
    the person that wrote the article for bassin times got his information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog_2-jpg.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	8962