Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fall Crappie on Lake Cumberland

A question for the crappie enthusiasts. Is there any good fall crappie water near Conley Bottom? I am referring to the mid October time frame. Is there any water around Conley Bottom that you would target for fall crappie success? Success in my mind would be a limit during the course of a days fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck there! Never met a crappie fisherman who would give up the location of good fishing holes, come to think of it, most fishermen guard their waters and are very protective. You got to spend the Dime and put in the Time.

However, in this case, not to worry, as there are no crappie in Lake Cumberland! He...hee! They all went down the Cumberland river to Lake Barkley and some even crossed over through the canal to Kentucky Lake, then swam up the TN river to the Blood river. JK you!!!!

Suggest you hire a guide, but to my knowledge, there are zero crappie guides on LC. Suggest you contact Conley Bottom Marina Staff, maybe they can be of assistance or point you in the right direction. OR, YOU COULD HIRE A GUIDE AND GO STRIPER FISHING!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyLie View Post
    Good luck there! Never met a crappie fisherman who would give up the location of good fishing holes, come to think of it, most fishermen guard their waters and are very protective. You got to spend the Dime and put in the Time.

However, in this case, not to worry, as there are no crappie in Lake Cumberland! He...hee! They all went down the Cumberland river to Lake Barkley and some even crossed over through the canal to Kentucky Lake, then swam up the TN river to the Blood river. JK you!!!!

Suggest you hire a guide, but to my knowledge, there are zero crappie guides on LC. Suggest you contact Conley Bottom Marina Staff, maybe they can be of assistance or point you in the right direction. OR, YOU COULD HIRE A GUIDE AND GO STRIPER FISHING!!!!
    True enough I suppose. Sometimes you will ask a questions and not get an answer but you will NEVER get answer if you don't ask the question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UK_Angus View Post
    True enough I suppose. Sometimes you will ask a questions and not get an answer but you will NEVER get answer if you don't ask the question.
    True, but it takes some BRASS BALLS! Good crappie prospecting to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Considering two facts ... one being that Cumberland is back at full pool, after 6yrs of being down 40ft --- and two being that by mid Oct, Cumberland may be down to Winter Pool (or on its way) ... then I'd suggest the following :

Pull up Lake Cumberland on Google Earth ... click on the year tab at the bottom left border of the map (just a small box with a year in it, usually 1997). This brings up a sliding menu, where you can look back over several previous years & see what that particular area looked like in that year. Go back to the 2008 -2012 timeframe & look at the banks around the area you want to fish. See where the trees/brush has grown up on those banks, while the lake was down 40ft from Summer Pool.

Then look in the creeks for those cuts that have "green" growing from the water to the treeline (in the 2008-2012 images).
    If the lake is around Winter Pool depth ... those will still have up to around 20ft of water over them. At Summer Pool they'd have about 40ft of water over them. Check where the water level is, before you go, and you can estimate the water depth covering those young trees/bushes. That'll give you a starting point, at the very least.

Cumberland is basically a (almost) "new" lake, now that the water levels are back to normal. Tree & brush growth has had about 6yrs to take hold ... but, it's not going to be on every bank, or all along any particular bank. The Google Earth timeframe images will show you the transformation, and GPS coordinates of those spots. All the brushpiles & cover that have been placed there since the water was drawn down, now have an extra 20-40ft of water over them ... rendering them basically useless. The new growth that sprouted during the drawdown is now the prime areas ... and Google Earth's map will show you where those areas are.

White Oak Creek might be a good place to start looking.

Understand, also ... that if you are fishing during Oct 16-18th ... you'll likely be sharing the area with the Crappie USA Classic Tournament anglers, whom will be launching out of Burnside.

... pappy
    Likes PRO V LE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Pappy.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Considering two facts ... one being that Cumberland is back at full pool, after 6yrs of being down 40ft --- and two being that by mid Oct, Cumberland may be down to Winter Pool (or on its way) ... then I'd suggest the following :

Pull up Lake Cumberland on Google Earth ... click on the year tab at the bottom left border of the map (just a small box with a year in it, usually 1997). This brings up a sliding menu, where you can look back over several previous years & see what that particular area looked like in that year. Go back to the 2008 -2012 timeframe & look at the banks around the area you want to fish. See where the trees/brush has grown up on those banks, while the lake was down 40ft from Summer Pool.

Then look in the creeks for those cuts that have "green" growing from the water to the treeline (in the 2008-2012 images).
    If the lake is around Winter Pool depth ... those will still have up to around 20ft of water over them. At Summer Pool they'd have about 40ft of water over them. Check where the water level is, before you go, and you can estimate the water depth covering those young trees/bushes. That'll give you a starting point, at the very least.

Cumberland is basically a (almost) "new" lake, now that the water levels are back to normal. Tree & brush growth has had about 6yrs to take hold ... but, it's not going to be on every bank, or all along any particular bank. The Google Earth timeframe images will show you the transformation, and GPS coordinates of those spots. All the brushpiles & cover that have been placed there since the water was drawn down, now have an extra 20-40ft of water over them ... rendering them basically useless. The new growth that sprouted during the drawdown is now the prime areas ... and Google Earth's map will show you where those areas are.

White Oak Creek might be a good place to start looking.

Understand, also ... that if you are fishing during Oct 16-18th ... you'll likely be sharing the area with the Crappie USA Classic Tournament anglers, whom will be launching out of Burnside.

... pappy
    Awesome pappy, thanks for the guidance.

Post Thanks / Like
    + to crappiepappy....

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff Stanton guided for crappie on LC many years ago. Saw his picture with nice crappie in some magazines. I have no idea if he is still guiding on LC or if he is still around.

Post Thanks / Like
    A question for the crappie enthusiasts. Is there any good fall crappie water near Conley Bottom? I am referring to the mid October time frame. Is there any water around Conley Bottom that you would target for fall crappie success? Success in my mind would be a limit during the course of a days fishing.
    Well my first excellent crappie fishing adventure turned into a bit of dud fur shur.

Monday - fishing creek - 1 crappie - north of the 80 bridge
    Tuesday - white oak creek - 0 crappie
    Wednesday - faubush creek - 0 crappie

I have always liked fishing in the rain so that was good and got to see an eagle pair and lots of water falls. So still a good time but the crappie were playing hide and seek.

After the tourney is over we will probably learn what happened to the crappie this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well my first excellent crappie fishing adventure turned into a bit of dud fur shur.

Monday - fishing creek - 1 crappie - north of the 80 bridge
    Tuesday - white oak creek - 0 crappie
    Wednesday - faubush creek - 0 crappie

I have always liked fishing in the rain so that was good and got to see an eagle pair and lots of water falls. So still a good time but the crappie were playing hide and seek.

After the tourney is over we will probably learn what happened to the crappie this week.
    All my rowdy friends fishing the CUSA tourney have told me that they were catching Crappie off submerged willows, casting to the willows & not spider rigging or vertical jigging over top of the fish. Water clarity is too clear. This report was from a few days ago, and the weather & rain may have changed everything, since then. The fast rise in water level isn't likely helping anything, either, plus it's likely to create a lot of floating debris.

... pappy
    Likes peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    All my rowdy friends fishing the CUSA tourney have told me that they were catching Crappie off submerged willows, casting to the willows & not spider rigging or vertical jigging over top of the fish. Water clarity is too clear. This report was from a few days ago, and the weather & rain may have changed everything, since then. The fast rise in water level isn't likely helping anything, either, plus it's likely to create a lot of floating debris.

... pappy
    from the crappie usa facebook page...

...Darrell Van Vactor demonstrates to some fishermen how to "fizz" the air bladder on a crappie here at our CrappieUSA Classic on Lake Cumberland. Due to some extreme depths of water some of these crappie are being caught they require their air bladder adjusted in order for them to survive. The technique is called "fizzing" using a hypodermic needle...

Looks like they went deep... at least some.