Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Benjy Kinman Lake

I did not realize this lake was open until I stumbled across the information on the internet. I recall an article in the C-J about it awhile back. I got a chance to fish it just before the labor day weekend and I wasn't alone. Perfect lake for kayakers (that's what I got), but there were plenty of boat-and-trailer rigs despite the grassy field for a parking lot and a hurry-up gravel boat ramp.

It seems the lake is about 15 or so feet deep and drops off quickly from the shore. My main means of depth finding is sticking my paddle into the water (the other way is to overhear other fisherman). This lake will likely heat up early in the spring and be great for panfish, but for now the serious attention is on night time bass fishing. There were 10 trucks when I left last week at dark. Fishing was slow for me with a mere 7 inch crappie. I saw plenty of bass chasing baitfish; they wouldn't take my spinner or shad swimbait, though.

Not much access for the shorebound - there are some spots but fishing will be limited from shore.

All in all a nice lake. About an hour from the Eastern suburbs of Louisville. Combine this with Jericho, Elmer Davis, KY River and it's creeks, and the not-too-far Ohio river and you have a worthwhile destination with enough variety of water to find something going on. This Henry-Owen county area is on my map!

The week before, I fished 6 mile creek. Nice location for kayaks, but full of gar in mid August. After reading some old posts here about gar and I realized why I'll have to try again later. Anyone have success on six-mile?

Post Thanks / Like
    Was gonna post a thread on this sometime soon! Watch the kyafield video on it. Tim catches a pig! Would like to go out and give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in oldham county and fish jerico often. Would like to try this lake out. Do you have a exact location and know if its trolling motor only or idle?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's trolling motor only

Post Thanks / Like

Raider 502

What's up WetFoot, Have you been out to Benjy this year, if so what was the water temp.
    Quote Originally Posted by WetFoot View Post
    I did not realize this lake was open until I stumbled across the information on the internet. I recall an article in the C-J about it awhile back. I got a chance to fish it just before the labor day weekend and I wasn't alone. Perfect lake for kayakers (that's what I got), but there were plenty of boat-and-trailer rigs despite the grassy field for a parking lot and a hurry-up gravel boat ramp.

It seems the lake is about 15 or so feet deep and drops off quickly from the shore. My main means of depth finding is sticking my paddle into the water (the other way is to overhear other fisherman). This lake will likely heat up early in the spring and be great for panfish, but for now the serious attention is on night time bass fishing. There were 10 trucks when I left last week at dark. Fishing was slow for me with a mere 7 inch crappie. I saw plenty of bass chasing baitfish; they wouldn't take my spinner or shad swimbait, though.

Not much access for the shorebound - there are some spots but fishing will be limited from shore.

All in all a nice lake. About an hour from the Eastern suburbs of Louisville. Combine this with Jericho, Elmer Davis, KY River and it's creeks, and the not-too-far Ohio river and you have a worthwhile destination with enough variety of water to find something going on. This Henry-Owen county area is on my map!

The week before, I fished 6 mile creek. Nice location for kayaks, but full of gar in mid August. After reading some old posts here about gar and I realized why I'll have to try again later. Anyone have success on six-mile?