Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JTrouty View Post
    no I saw them launching thier boat. I didnt know was a commercial net knew to just look for a tag when I didnt see 1 I thought maybe someone was trying to cheat in the kingcat tourney on the river I ran them down and reported it, They never even went to see the net or take a picture nothing. just started harrassing me and locked me up with trying to charge me with 4 felonies because I had caught 4 cats earlier that day and they said I removed them from the net. I never removed anything, everything in there was dead with white eyes and gills.(they could tell from thier mouth being rubbed but was in a small livewell). they impounded my truck and boat and locked me up with a 7500 full cash bond. would be like me speeding yesterday and I stopped a cop and told him and he wrote me a ticket. I mean really if I was in the wrong would I go and report to DNR that I did it, they never knew net existed until I told them what was found. They immediadly took me for guilty, no one even saw me do it and no one ever took a pic or looked at net after reportrd it either. I was guilty they had their man, glad I didnt catch a dead body I would be looking at murder. Just shows what happens when you try and help thats why people won't get involved anymore.
    That's a classic example of the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend whos buddy was written up by a CO over in Henderson County for what was defined as "illegal trapping methods". The trap was set quote "proper legal distance in relation to the water" as required by law but the river level fell out overnight leaving the trap high and dry. Even with the consideration of numerous other trappers willing to testify in court that it is a common occurance for water levels to drop like they did the guy was afraid of retaliation and harassment from the CO. Rather than fight the write up in court he went ahead and laid down and paid the fines.
    Now the guy says his policy is to avoid all CO's under any and all circumstances.

In relation to the fish hoop net story. What if a person was in the field and found a CO laying unconscious and bleeding from a head wound and when you tried to help him he jumped up and started accusing you of knocking him in the head. What if it was your word against the CO's word with no witnesses to prove otherwise then what would a person do?

Post Thanks / Like

Make Sure To Follow Up With Chief of Enforcement

I absolutely hate liars, especially when they wear a badge! As a retired LEO I would suggest that you contact the Chief of Enforcement, or whoever the top dog is, and advise them that you are aware of the Federal requirement that "they" must keep an abridged file of all enforcement officer's who have been proven to be liars either by discredited court testimony or as a result of an internal investigation. Most folks don't know about this little ditty, in fact, most enforcement organizations don't as well. Of course the larger PD's and state enforcement folks usually know. Follow up and get it in writing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWorker View Post
    I have a friend whos buddy was written up by a CO over in Henderson County for what was defined as "illegal trapping methods". The trap was set quote "proper legal distance in relation to the water" as required by law but the river level fell out overnight leaving the trap high and dry. Even with the consideration of numerous other trappers willing to testify in court that it is a common occurance for water levels to drop like they did the guy was afraid of retaliation and harassment from the CO. Rather than fight the write up in court he went ahead and laid down and paid the fines.
    Now the guy says his policy is to avoid all CO's under any and all circumstances.
    http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/002/251.htm

Section 3. Trapping Methods and Requirements. (1) Unless exempted by KRS 150.170, a person shall carry proof of purchase of a valid trapping license while trapping furbearers. (2) A person who is trapping with a dry land set shall not: (a) Set traps closer than ten (10) feet apart; or (b) Use any trap except for the following: 1. Deadfall; 2. Wire cage or box trap; 3. Foothold trap with a maximum inside jaw spread of six (6) inches measured perpendicular to the hinges; 4. Body-gripping trap with a maximum inside jaw spread of seven and one-half (7.5) inches measured parallel with the trigger; or 5. A snare. (3) There shall be no restrictions on the size or type of trap used as a water set. (4) A trap shall not be set in a trail or path commonly used by a human or a domestic animal. (5) A trapper may use lights from a boat or a vehicle in conjunction with trapping furbearers.

Likely he had a wider conibear trap than allowed on land, and when the water fell he didn’t check it and move it or change it.

JTrouty, glad that the courts ruled in your favor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/002/251.htm

Section 3. Trapping Methods and Requirements. (1) Unless exempted by KRS 150.170, a person shall carry proof of purchase of a valid trapping license while trapping furbearers. (2) A person who is trapping with a dry land set shall not: (a) Set traps closer than ten (10) feet apart; or (b) Use any trap except for the following: 1. Deadfall; 2. Wire cage or box trap; 3. Foothold trap with a maximum inside jaw spread of six (6) inches measured perpendicular to the hinges; 4. Body-gripping trap with a maximum inside jaw spread of seven and one-half (7.5) inches measured parallel with the trigger; or 5. A snare. (3) There shall be no restrictions on the size or type of trap used as a water set. (4) A trap shall not be set in a trail or path commonly used by a human or a domestic animal. (5) A trapper may use lights from a boat or a vehicle in conjunction with trapping furbearers.

Likely he had a wider conibear trap than allowed on land, and when the water fell he didn’t check it and move it or change it.

JTrouty, glad that the courts ruled in your favor.
    Thanks for the helpfull insight into trapping laws and regs.

But from what i understand the trapper has quite a few years of trapping experience under his belt not to mention the numerous combined years of experience of the other trappers who were willing to testify in court. The popular combined opinion of he and the other trappers was that his trap was completely legal in size limits and with its intended application. The CO who issued the citation had limited conservation law enforcement experience and could possibly be considered somewhat of a "greenhorn" within the ranks of conservation law enforcement. So popular opinion within the local trapping community suggests there is a remote possibility that it could be a issue of a CO being embarrased to admit he was not as familiar with the trapping laws as his job requires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the helpfull insight into trapping laws and regs.

But from what i understand the trapper has quite a few years of trapping experience under his belt not to mention the numerous combined years of experience of the other trappers who were willing to testify in court. The popular combined opinion of he and the other trappers was that his trap was completely legal in size limits and with its intended application. The CO who issued the citation had limited conservation law enforcement experience and could possibly be considered somewhat of a "greenhorn" within the ranks of conservation law enforcement. So popular opinion within the local trapping community suggests there is a remote possibility that it could be a issue of a CO being embarrased to admit he was not as familiar with the trapping laws as his job requires.

True that the CO may not have been fully aware of the law. It is also very possible (actually highly likely) that you are not getting the entire story.
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    True that the CO may not have been fully aware of the law. It is also very possible (actually highly likely) that you are not getting the entire story.

And there is also a very real possibility that the details of the situation have been made well known throughout the trapping, hunting and fishing community where hopefully the end result would be the leo's would be responsible enough so as not to be subject to public ridicule and embarassment. And those are my last comments on the subject.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    And there is also a very real possibility that the details of the situation have been made well known throughout the trapping, hunting and fishing community where hopefully the end result would be the leo's would be responsible enough so as not to be subject to public ridicule and embarassment. And those are my last comments on the subject.
    Don't forget to mention your total and utter disdain for the department which causes you to believe everything you hear that puts them in a bad light. Also your custom of posting said anti-KDFWR statements that lack any evidence other than "my brother's girlfriend's uncle's cousin told me."
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post