Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Reading a topo map

I understand the map itself but I wanted to know any advice on what exactly to look for for late summer/ early fall fishing. I've looked at where we caught fish at last week on the map but depths and proximity to the channel wasn't consistent. Just need some help and I know being able to read a topography map will really help me. Just tryin to make myself a better fisherman while I'm off the water! Any tips are appreciated. Thanks, drew

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you specificall want to know about reading a topo map.

Post Thanks / Like

first

orient the map,know whereyou are at.Counter lines, bunched together deep water, wide apart flats. read the map legend to know where weeds are, or gravel bars. A good compass dosn't hurt, sometimes the gps wont work. Points usually are shown, but in some natural lakes, there are underwater small points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1233 View Post
    I understand the map itself but I wanted to know any advice on what exactly to look for for late summer/ early fall fishing. I've looked at where we caught fish at last week on the map but depths and proximity to the channel wasn't consistent. Just need some help and I know being able to read a topography map will really help me. Just tryin to make myself a better fisherman while I'm off the water! Any tips are appreciated. Thanks, drew
    For lakes around KY where you can get the Atlantic Map.......GET IT. I think Dale, Barkley, Kentucky and Cumberland all have Atlantic Maps. Also, the Navionics Maps on finders and using their web app will help. When using these, you can see old river beds, and chanels, and sometimes drainage ditches, etc, etc.

You hear a bunch about ledges on these boards. Ledges are formed on these lakes by the current and in some extent how they flooded the lake. Look on the map at those places where the depth lines are all squished together. This shows that it drops off really quick. When the corps is pulling these lakes, nutrients and good stuff flow down those areas naturally, which tend to help hold the baitfish, and in turn FISH. I'm a lightweight when it comes to this stuff, maybe some others can chime in.

Here is a GREAT link for showing some cool maps.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to come take my Eliminating Water class sometime. You get 8 hours of learning how to use a good topo map coupled with learning seasonal fish movement, environmental changes that come into play day to day and season by season, lure decision making and a lot more than I can put on here. I teach a few of these classes in November and all during the month's of January and February. They are one on one classes so you get the personal attention from someone that makes their living guiding for bass.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    You need to come take my Eliminating Water class sometime. You get 8 hours of learning how to use a good topo map coupled with learning seasonal fish movement, environmental changes that come into play day to day and season by season, lure decision making and a lot more than I can put on here. I teach a few of these classes in November and all during the month's of January and February. They are one on one classes so you get the personal attention from someone that makes their living guiding for bass.

Dave
    Oh, and TAKE Dave's class.........

It is freakin awesome, and you will learn more in 1 day about fishing and DETAILS about fishing than you ever thought possible.

I've taken it, and quite a few of my friends have taken it. NO kidding, the very NEXT day after taking the class, my fishing buddy and I had one of the best days we've ever had on Kentucky Lake.

Seriously you will learn things that make sense...........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post

Dave
    may have to take you up on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom523 View Post
    What do you specificall want to know about reading a topo map.
    What to look for this time of year. Like points, ledges, the channel, flats, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    What to look for this time of year. Like points, ledges, the channel, flats, etc.
    Definitely take a weekend trip to KY Lake, spend 1 day with Dave and the next day POUNDING fish with what you learned . DEFINITELY worth it.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    may have to take you up on this.
    Do yourself a favor, and don't hesitate about taking Dave's class. My father and I took it a few years ago, and it was the best money I have ever spent on fishing in my life. Dave is a super nice fella, and as knowledgeable as you will find. You will not regret it.

+1 for the Atlantic maps also, they are superb.

James