Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

It is UNREAL how stupid College kids are today....

UNREAL......simply UNREAL.

I sure hope the tens of thousands of dollars I've spent educating my own kids has not been wasted like here.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

education

Thats why I have no faith in most college degrees. Poly sci, is just a dodge to stay out of the work force. Phscology, a joke. I wish my grandson would change his major, from teaching. He enjoys working with young people,but his pay will be miserable, compared to his brother. Kids with dumb majors, do stupid things, because they don't belong in school.

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice to kids these days is, if they do not want to be a doctor, lawyer or scientist, don't go to college. It is not as relevant as it used to be and it's priced itself too high these days to be worth the value you get from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    My advice to kids these days is, if they do not want to be a doctor, lawyer or scientist, don't go to college. It is not as relevant as it used to be and it's priced itself too high these days to be worth the value you get from it.
    There are fields where you MUST have a degree. But yea, I kind of agree with ya.

If you plan on doing any work in IT or Technology, you best have a degree.
    If you plan on doing any engineering work, better have a degree.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Tech schools

I have a few friends and relatives who do not have college degrees. But they enrolled in good technical schools, there will always be a need for technicians. We had many beginning engineers, come through our plant, a few of them had the therory down pat, but couldn't fathom "righty tighty". We had an instrument tech, that was a genius, but with out a degree, when he asked for a raise, my boss told him he was over paid for his status. He left a month later, went to honeywell for a third more money, and travel bonus. I know he went to china twice, working on our companys licensed plants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    Depends on your definition of value. If you are just talking money, then yes, college is a bad idea for most people. However, if that degree gets you the job you enjoy, that can be worth it. I would much rather be happy at what I do than have more money.

I do agree that a college degree is not for everyone. I would also suggest that those not going to college have some kind of technical training or career plan. Expecting to get a high school diploma and land a 6 figure salary is a pipe dream.

Geo, you are probably right in most cases in the computer/tech industry. Self motivation can also take you a long way. My brother started out in computer science, but quickly changed when he realized they were mostly teaching outdated systems/programming. Has done really well in software programming after learning various languages on his own and developing his own software.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    Geo, you are probably right in most cases in the computer/tech industry. Self motivation can also take you a long way. My brother started out in computer science, but quickly changed when he realized they were mostly teaching outdated systems/programming. Has done really well in software programming after learning various languages on his own and developing his own software.
    There are some schools that are really ON PAR with technology. I know that IUS and there CPT program is good, I also know that Bellarmine and BIG DATA is good. Also Purdue Technology program and UL Speed School.

But you're also right APB. Most schools teach some seriously outdated stuff. BUT....I've always said that folks in the IT field cannot not be taught to be good IT professionals. Sure they can learn some skills, but if you don't inherently think and understand technology you will never succeed in technology.

I know a ton of folks with Bachelor, Masters, and even some Doctorates in Information Technology that don't know ****. AND on the other hand, I know just as many without that are some of the best in the field.

Hell, I was a music performance major........who didn't finish, and I do just fine in IT, but I've been doing computer stuff most of my life, building, writing and developing major systems since I was in the 7th or 8th grade.

If you have an aptitude for something you will be very successful.......

I should also say that the best folks I know in Technology don't have tech degrees. Some have math and some have engineering, but some of the BEST have Music and English degrees......go figure. And in today's world of graphical presentations, having some visual design goes a long, long way. I remember the very first graphical user project I ever developed. It looked like a freakin colorized Green Screen. Blocky like a CICS screen.....but in purty colors, all in Windows 3.1 .......yea I SUCKED

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    I think companies in all fields - including IT, which is the industry I work in - are becoming more and more interested in whether you can do the job than whether you have a degree. They want to see the work you've done and how it applies to the position they are trying to fill.

IT, in particular, should realize that by the time a college student works through their 4 years of computer science, a decent portion of the stuff they learned in year one is already outdated. If you're up to speed on current technology and demonstrate an ability to adapt to new technology as its introduced, that should be all that matters.

Heck, when I took my position with this company, they gave me a homework assignment as part of the hiring process so that I could demonstrate that I could do the job.

Tuition goes up 7-10% each year and now you tack interest rates for the loans on top of that. At some point, it can't be worth what you're paying (other than the intrinsic value APB mentioned). I personally can't see why most people would even consider going to college anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    I graduated last year with a degree in criminal justice. I had the intentions of being some sort of law enforcement. Upon graduating I was offered a job at a distillery where I make good money and very happy with. I've moved up positions and now I can't go any higher but I'm ok with that and really enjoy what I'm doing. I went to college for 2 years for basically a back up plan because I feel I can make more without a degree than a job with the degree I have. I will always have that degree and something to fall back on and I don't regret a thing. I have payed off my college debt quickly since it was a community college. This is the beginning of my life and I'm pleased with how it's started. But my sister graduated and she went for 4 years and hasn't found a job yet and it's almost time for her to start paying back her debts. Panic has begun to set in because the jobs she applies for require 2 years experience and that 4 year degree. My question is where do you get the experience if you can't get the job?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckykingfisher View Post
    I graduated last year with a degree in criminal justice. I had the intentions of being some sort of law enforcement. Upon graduating I was offered a job at a distillery where I make good money and very happy with. I've moved up positions and now I can't go any higher but I'm ok with that and really enjoy what I'm doing. I went to college for 2 years for basically a back up plan because I feel I can make more without a degree than a job with the degree I have. I will always have that degree and something to fall back on and I don't regret a thing. I have payed off my college debt quickly since it was a community college. This is the beginning of my life and I'm pleased with how it's started. But my sister graduated and she went for 4 years and hasn't found a job yet and it's almost time for her to start paying back her debts. Panic has begun to set in because the jobs she applies for require 2 years experience and that 4 year degree. My question is where do you get the experience if you can't get the job?
    it sounds like you are the master taster and it makes you happy all the time-----I know what you mean but I don't get paid.

Post Thanks / Like
    i think it's scary how stupid the average American is now...and it's getting worse all the time. it's like they've lost the ability to comprehend and analyze any situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    it sounds like you are the master taster and it makes you happy all the time-----I know what you mean but I don't get paid.
    Ohh how I wish! Love me some bourbon