Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Gps fish finder help

Anyone have any recommendation on what a cheap unit would be with the depth and map. Or is anyone selling one? Thanks, drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1233 View Post
    Anyone have any recommendation on what a cheap unit would be with the depth and map. Or is anyone selling one? Thanks, drew
    Hummingbird. Some of the newer units have a smaller screen, so you really need to go over there and LOOK to see which one you want.

YOU can get a basic color with gps and down imaging for about 500 bucks........maybe cheaper.

http://www.basspro.com/Brand-Humminb...z0u8zgZ1z0v3bu

Post Thanks / Like
    The Lowrance Elite- HDI units are very nice and with all the sizes you can get really good deals. I have an Elite-7 with Navionics charts for less than $600, they have a 7", 5", 4", and now a 3" model. The 3" color screen I believe is $100, but I don't think the 3" has GPS. Note that when looking at these the 'X' means no GPS.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Elite/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    The Lowrance Elite- HDI units are very nice and with all the sizes you can get really good deals. I have an Elite-7 with Navionics charts for less than $600, they have a 7", 5", 4", and now a 3" model. The 3" color screen I believe is $100, but I don't think the 3" has GPS. Note that when looking at these the 'X' means no GPS.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Elite/
    Lowrance has some GREAT price points.............GREAT.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I got to throw a prop out for the dragonfly, love mine for both sonar and charting. So much I'm thinking of adding a second to replace my old Lowrance chart plotter in fact. The sonar is spot on straight from the box and the chirp down imaging rivals any other true-view system on the market. I have never been as happy with any marine electronics as I am with my dragonfly. For the price you simply cannot go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I either want a hummingbird or lowrance. But something small is fine. Just need one with the gps/map

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I either want a hummingbird or lowrance. But something small is fine. Just need one with the gps/map
    For what you are wanting I would say the Lowrance Elite-5 would be a good fit for you. You get sonar, down imaging, and GPS mapping on a 5" color screen for about $360, and I think that does come with the transducer. I am biased to the Lowrance units though. I just haven't found a better value for what you get. I like the 7" screen model because it is a widescreen (landscape instead of portrait) and just for the cost compared to the $1000 units I feel like I get all the same features without the cost. I especially love the down imaging!

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/lowra...m9sRoChOvw_wcB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    For what you are wanting I would say the Lowrance Elite-5 would be a good fit for you. You get sonar, down imaging, and GPS mapping on a 5" color screen for about $360, and I think that does come with the transducer. I am biased to the Lowrance units though. I just haven't found a better value for what you get. I like the 7" screen model because it is a widescreen (landscape instead of portrait) and just for the cost compared to the $1000 units I feel like I get all the same features without the cost. I especially love the down imaging!

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/lowra...m9sRoChOvw_wcB
    This one is certainly a unit to consider. I have the precursor unit to this one ... it's the Elite 5DSI (no 2d sonar) and was discontinued by Lowrance, probably because of the demand for 2d sonar to be included. I've used 2d sonar since back in the 1970's .. until I purchased the E5DSI a few years ago. To be perfectly honest, I don't miss the "fingerpainting" images of 2d ... not when I can get "near picture quality" images with the Down Scan capabilities of my unit. I mean, why try to figure out what a blob of different colors actually is, when you can get images like these :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...pse791a00c.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...ps14cb4a0d.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...psef4a8c36.jpg

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Consider downscan over gps or graph only if that is available these days.

Navionics has a great GPS chart app for smart phones. It's about 11 bucks and with the advanced map options for another few bucks it is very detailed. There a lot of features and I would say overall it is much easier to use than the GPS on my Lowrance Elete 5 for advanced opinions . Way points and routes are a breeze. You can set depth options and adjust the depths for the current elevation of the lake. If you want to fish only 25 depths you can set it to highlight those contours. Or say you want it to highlight 15-35' depths it will highlight those areas.

....plus you can review your tracks and waypoints while laying on the couch or pick your spots for the next trip while at work or just learn the lake. The maps are loaded on your phone so you don't need cell service once you have highlighted the area to download. Just pinch and zoom to select the area to download and you are set. All US areas are included.

....plus they have sonar maps which are collected from users while actually graphing on the lake. Not sure how that works because that would require interacting with a graph but it can do that. That is an opt-in if you want to participate and send in your data.

I would say they are poised to be the google maps for under water mapping.

Might want to get a cigarette lighter adapter so you can keep the phone lit up all the time. Haven't done that yet.

I did the trial for the iPad and at this point I don't see a real need for the bigger screen. The iPad version is more expensive.

A great way to increase screen real estate for cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Consider downscan over gps or graph only if that is available these days.

Navionics has a great GPS chart app for smart phones. It's about 11 bucks and with the advanced map options for another few bucks it is very detailed. There a lot of features and I would say overall it is much easier to use than the GPS on my Lowrance Elete 5 for advanced opinions . Way points and routes are a breeze. You can set depth options and adjust the depths for the current elevation of the lake. If you want to fish only 25 depths you can set it to highlight those contours. Or say you want it to highlight 15-35' depths it will highlight those areas.

....plus you can review your tracks and waypoints while laying on the couch or pick your spots for the next trip while at work or just learn the lake. The maps are loaded on your phone so you don't need cell service once you have highlighted the area to download. Just pinch and zoom to select the area to download and you are set. All US areas are included.

....plus they have sonar maps which are collected from users while actually graphing on the lake. Not sure how that works because that would require interacting with a graph but it can do that. That is an opt-in if you want to participate and send in your data.

I would say they are poised to be the google maps for under water mapping.

Might want to get a cigarette lighter adapter so you can keep the phone lit up all the time. Haven't done that yet.

I did the trial for the iPad and at this point I don't see a real need for the bigger screen. The iPad version is more expensive.

A great way to increase screen real estate for cheap.
    that would be just fine for me, but the problem is my grandfather will be using the boat also. Hopefully I'll have the boat Sunday. It'll be my first bass boat. He already has a hummingbird on the front, just need something with a map that's fairly cheap and easy to use for the driver seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    that would be just fine for me, but the problem is my grandfather will be using the boat also. Hopefully I'll have the boat Sunday. It'll be my first bass boat. He already has a hummingbird on the front, just need something with a map that's fairly cheap and easy to use for the driver seat.
    I see your point. Have a blast with the boat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! It'll be nice. It's a 92 nitro. 19 foot