Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcahill View Post
    I think if they would offer 2 dollars a carp or something like that people would be more apt to go out and take there time to hunt these things.

Mitch
    Mitch, as I understand it ...

The commercial fishing guys are quoting a price range of 15 - 25 cents a pound, to make it feasible for them to stay in business & supply the processing plants with these carp. With some of these carp reaching 100lbs .... 2 bucks a fish ain't gonna get it.
    I've also read where some commercial fishermen are having to replace their nets every 18 days of use, due to the damage caused by the carp. I'm sure those nets don't come cheap, either.

This article is over 3yrs old, but it's still a good read : http://www.freep.com/article/2011072...d-who-will-eat

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody asked if any fisheries have been devastated by the carp. I read where a guy on bbc from illinois said it used to take 16-20lbs of smallies to win a 5 fish tourny on his local river, now theyve dropped down to 1 or 3 fish limit tournies and often if a guy brings in a keeper, he wins. So do they have negative impacts on fisheries, absolutely. Itll likely take a lot longer for the effects to be felt on a body of water the size of KY/Barkley, but it will happen. Its a shame they cant figure out what caused the bubbling on the gills that caused the carp to go belly up below the dam. These carp seem to favor shallow water, so how long until the bait and gamefish start wandering around out in the channel more than they already do.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasnt aware that they were taking carp from fisherman who are killing them as sport, I was under the assumption that there only being harvested threw nets and if people kill them with bows there expected to trash them. If someone gave me a some money to go out and catch and or bow fish these carp i would do it.. I dont think it would help me financially but it would be fun and a way to make a couple bucks. I know the carps skin are being used now to make purses and wallets and other things like that also. I personally have only seen a couple when im out fishing on the boat. I usually go to Stevens Port or i fish right by the McAlpine Dams by Silver Creek and have only seen a couple jumping but i imagine there out there some where.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice read Dave Stewart and echo's everything I have heard through the breezes. It is very sad to watch. I wish they could figure out why those ones died like Steven said so we could kill them all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I caught one that weighed 15lbs below the KY Lake Dam on 5lb braided line. It hit a little crappie jig. I see them all the time at Barkley when I'm chasing shellcrackers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcahill View Post
    I wasnt aware that they were taking carp from fisherman who are killing them as sport, I was under the assumption that there only being harvested threw nets and if people kill them with bows there expected to trash them. If someone gave me a some money to go out and catch and or bow fish these carp i would do it.. I dont think it would help me financially but it would be fun and a way to make a couple bucks. I know the carps skin are being used now to make purses and wallets and other things like that also. I personally have only seen a couple when im out fishing on the boat. I usually go to Stevens Port or i fish right by the McAlpine Dams by Silver Creek and have only seen a couple jumping but i imagine there out there some where.
    There out there. Pretty much right there. Had three land in my boat at three different times last year. This one I snagged while drifting. Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like
    Big business isn't dumb. It takes millions in start up capital to build a large cannery. If too many start up at one time and demand skyrockets we'll have more commercial fisherman. When more are taken out than what's naturally replenished each year the fishery becomes unsustainable (just ask the catfisherman). That's bad for business. Point is creating this industry will only guarantee these fish will be here for decades to come. The words "sustainable fishery" have already been used several times by our own KDFWR.

I think it will take a scientific break-through. There's a reason 100's of thousands went belly up below the dam earlier this year and nothing else did. I'm not buying the "we don't know why BS"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider View Post
    Big business isn't dumb. It takes millions in start up capital to build a large cannery. If too many start up at one time and demand skyrockets we'll have more commercial fisherman. When more are taken out than what's naturally replenished each year the fishery becomes unsustainable (just ask the catfisherman). That's bad for business. Point is creating this industry will only guarantee these fish will be here for decades to come. The words "sustainable fishery" have already been used several times by our own KDFWR.

I think it will take a scientific break-through. There's a reason 100's of thousands went belly up below the dam earlier this year and nothing else did. I'm not buying the "we don't know why BS"
    Interesing take, made me think.....

Post Thanks / Like

Hm........

we cannot cure ebola,
    we cannot cure cancer,
    we cannot cure MS,
    we cannot cure AIDS,
    we cannot........

What makes you think we can identify what killed these fish and successfully replicate it........of course maybe you think we CAN cure the above and big pharma is keeping that from happening.......but hey that is a whole other discussion

No, I'm not buying the "thought" that the gubment would actually like these evil ******* fish to be here.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

It's not BS. They really don't know why. Why in the world would KDFWR want to lie about that?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have actually pondered in my mind if the federal government and the health industry wants to find a magic pill for Cancer. Yes in my heart I guess I want to believe they do but it is their biggest cash Cow is it not.

Now I didn't say I totally believe in that I said it's made me ponder...........

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me rephrase...

The bigger question is why hasn't the full power of our state/federal gov't not been deployed to figure out why the carp went belly up? Seems we were given a gift. The carp problem in KY lake is a mere drop in the bucket to the overall problem and I'm not blaming our state for not coming up with a solution. Obviously there's a disease out there that affects these fish...meanwhile we're talking about carp tournaments. We put man on the moon; we can figure why a fish got a disease.

BUT, if you've lived here long enough or got involved in any political process to help protect our states resources you'd know why faith is lost with KDFWR. I have absolutely no problem going on record saying they have a greater interest in creating a new sustainable industry than protecting our native wildlife. And that should concern all of you. Politics at its best... Time will tell if the new head honcho really changes anything.