Search Fishin.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see some positive action getting underway with the processing plants....now if we could get a few of these plants on the lakes maybe they can get their increasing numbers under control.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave any insight as to why they chose this particular site? It is closer to the Asian carp center of density or something?

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect there are a number of reasons but I think probably there are more of them in the rivers below the lake dams and land is cheaper down there than around the lakes...but that is just my thinking out loud.

Dave
    Likes jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good lawd-a-mercy

http://bit.ly/1Fqfd1R

Well there's one 106-pounder out of the water...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I hope they don't still jump at that size

Post Thanks / Like

asian carp

Quote Originally Posted by rebranger View Post
    I am working on trying to clean up Flower Lake!
    I had Harold Johnson (Moon River Foods, Indianola, MS Procurement Director) come Tuesday of last week & we set 300 feet of 4” Gill net, 6 feet tall, monofilament, with weighted bottom (Net 1 on map). We made the mistake of leaving it out too long while we went to lunch. Upon returning 2 hours later, the carp had literally torn it all to pieces! We positioned this net at the entrance to a “long arm” which is about 600 yards wide & about 3 – 5 feet deep. There is so many Silver Carp in this lake that we did not catch a single other type fish. Most of the Carp averaged about 10#.
    On Sat. of last week, I borrowed a “flag” type 4 “ Gill net; heavier nylon string, 5 ft tall, with no bottom weights. Having learned my lesson at Long Arm, I put out about 50 yards of this net (Net 2 on map) & waited an hour, no commotion or “driving” them. Net held up, but we caught so many we could not pull net in boat hardly. I would estimate that in 2 hours time we caught over 3000#’s of Silver Carp!! Again averaging about 10#’s and NO OTHER fish, not even a Buffalo!

When the Asian Carp processing plant gets going (estimated Nov. 25, but Harry says realistically early January, I hope to have some specialty nets just for the Silver Carp!

What are your suggestions?
    Researchers in Australia have come up with what they call a "Williams Trap". It is essentially a wall type net that is staked down and has a "fence" sticking above the water line about 12 - 18 inches. The carp are driven by boats to the barrier & jump over, thus being trapped in a box type net.
    My lake averages about 5 feet deep & has a flat, mud filled in bottom. This technique may work on Flower Lake.
    What do you think?
    Do you still have a carp problem we fish for them and are looking for spots that have massive schools of silvers and big head. We average 10000 lb a night. If interested let me know thxs.

Post Thanks / Like

asian carp

We are looking for big schools of silver carp to catch.we fish daily for them and looking for info on big schools if we know there location today we can catch them tonight but if been few days its hard to say because they seem to move around. If only few jumping dont meen much because theres a few everywhere but if theres 100s jumping than we can do some damage to them. Thxs for any info and god bless.

Post Thanks / Like

asian carp

We fish for asian carp daily and looking for large schools of them on a daily basis.if were posted of them today we can catch them tonight but if been few days its hard to say because they move around. If only few jumping dont meen much because theres a few everywhere but if see 100s jumping than we can do some damage to them usually. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thxs and god bless.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Come on down / over & give it a shot!

Come on down anytime; just give me a call Ed @ 256-883-8615.
    Moon River fisherman (one boat, several Chinese made nets, really not suitable, but cheap) caught about 5000 pounds in 3 days last week.
    Call me, don't PM as I don't check this site frequently.
    Ed Hood, Dundee, MS aka Rebranger

Quote Originally Posted by riverdog8888 View Post
    We fish for asian carp daily and looking for large schools of them on a daily basis.if were posted of them today we can catch them tonight but if been few days its hard to say because they move around. If only few jumping dont meen much because theres a few everywhere but if see 100s jumping than we can do some damage to them usually. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thxs and god bless.

Post Thanks / Like

We need to harden our boats with thicker glass windows that

deflect the flying carp from hitting us in the face while we are going down the lake at 60 mph in a bass boat. Deflectors on the front of the boats made out of clear hard plastic or else kill the **** things by the millions with some type of fish virus disease that only kill those carp. Some biologist needs to get to work on this right away.

One good thing is that they keep the jet skiers slowed down and the water skiers also have to be careful when skiing around these fish.

But I can imagine the damage that one of those flying 60 lb fish could do to a guy's body if he's in a fast boat and the fish jumps out of the water and hits you in the face

We can rename them at "Speed Bumps".

Quote Originally Posted by Red Shad View Post
    I just got back from Kentucky lake for the fourth trip this year. Each time I've noticed the number of asian carp have gotten larger and larger. It's not just a few it's hundreds of them at a time. I haven't heard nothing from the department of fish and wildlife about correcting this matter other then carp tournament. Fellas that's not going to do it. I don't know if there's anything that can be done. I do know that unless something is done one of the finest fisheries in United States will be ruined it in the next few years. What are your thoughts about this.