Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trout fishing the Cumberland river report

I'm planning a camping trip below Cumberland lake in a couple week and wondering if anybody's heard anything about good trout fishing and big stripper? Or just n e report would be helpful! Thanks keep a tight line!

Post Thanks / Like
    Try the fishing report section of this site. There is info there on the Cumberland River.

Post Thanks / Like
    just got back from a 9 day florida trip so i havent been on the river since week before last. but this is what was going on that week.....in the early mornings you could limit on rainbows on powerbait, salmon eggs or pink rooster tails.
    this was during zero generation.
    once the generation started you could fish a small rapala and catch all the browns you want by throwing just upstream from stick ups and jerking the rapala in front of the log as it flowed by. no keepers but several close to 20 inches.

i also watched a guide boat with 2 clients absolutely scorch both rainbows and browns on the fly....dont even ask me what fly lol....i wouldnt know what it was if they handed it to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    .....in the early mornings you could limit on rainbows on powerbait, salmon eggs or pink rooster tails.
    powerbaits, like the Berkley crappie powerbait pebbles? do you put that on a bobber?

I don't plan on going to Cumberland but the FINS stock the lakes with trout here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
    powerbaits, like the Berkley crappie powerbait pebbles? do you put that on a bobber?

I don't plan on going to Cumberland but the FINS stock the lakes with trout here
    i use the powerbait dough in the small plastic jar, i cant speak for the crappie bites never used them.
    also i cant speak for what method/presentation would work in a fins lake, everything about the river system is going to be different and require a different presentation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post

I've caught plenty of FINS lake Rainbows on Berkley Crappie Nibbles ... Jacobson Park Lake, Lexington.

Best bet is to roll several up in your hand, big enough to cover the hook, then set them out in the Sun to dry up a little. Once they become a little firm, put them on a hook & under a bobber (no weight necessary) about 1-2ft deep ... then watch for the bobber to start moving out across the surface (or disappear, if using a really small/light bobber). Worked for me !!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    good info, thanks pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank for all the info! You guys have been more then helpful! I will give it a try! I hope to be having fresh grilled rainbow!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hape2go View Post
    Thank for all the info! You guys have been more then helpful! I will give it a try! I hope to be having fresh grilled rainbow!!!
    google "tva wolfe creek" and you can watch the current generating schedule. you will be able to see the schedule for the next 12+hrs. this will help you plan on whether you will be wade fishing or boat fishing. if the schedule states that one generator will be running say from 2a-3a the water will generally be wadeable in 2-3 hours after they cease generation so you would be able to start wading at roughly 5a-6a. depending on how much water was already left in the river. if it states 2 or more generators will be running lets say from 1a-8a...you wont be wade fishing for several hours. just be very careful wading there are several treacherous obstacles like big broken slippery rocks and logs etc, but the water is gin clear so you will be able to see most of that stuff well beofre you trip over it.
    good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to visit www.doubledoutfitters.com or http://www.cumberlanddrifters.com and click fishing reports for some flies to use. These guys are the best in the guide business. If the water is low I would suggest going down to Winfrey's Ferry and working back up towards the dam. Right now is the best time of the year for brown and rainbow fishing. I'm planning on being on the water the weekend of Oct 19th with my fly rod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YakNinja View Post
    You may want to visit www.doubledoutfitters.com or http://www.cumberlanddrifters.com and click fishing reports for some flies to use. These guys are the best in the guide business. If the water is low I would suggest going down to Winfrey's Ferry and working back up towards the dam. Right now is the best time of the year for brown and rainbow fishing. I'm planning on being on the water the weekend of Oct 19th with my fly rod.
    i would have to give lance sasser honorable mention in that best guide category.....he has put clients on certified state records, not many guides can make that claim

Post Thanks / Like
    updated report....limited on rainbows in 8 minutes this morning during the rainstorm.