Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Cherokee TN

I'll be going down there for the first time for the BFL Regional next week. I was hoping that someone on here could give me some info on the lake. I'm not looking for anyone's spots or anything. Those won't do me any good fishing as a co-angler, anyways. I would just like to know about how the lake lays out and what the predominant cover and forage are. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I'll be going down there for the first time for the BFL Regional next week. I was hoping that someone on here could give me some info on the lake. I'm not looking for anyone's spots or anything. Those won't do me any good fishing as a co-angler, anyways. I would just like to know about how the lake lays out and what the predominant cover and forage are. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Lots of rock, rock and more rock. and some red clay banks. I've always had success with soft-plastics and jigs. Others like my dad will swear by crankbaits, that they used to slay them on in the 70's and 80's. fall time can be a great time to target big schools of gizzard shad with a spinnerbait too. for my money, I would have three things tied on a white spinnerbait or swimbait if the wind picks up, a shaky head worm or a senko in a natural color, as the lake rarely gets stained or muddy, and a natural colored jig in browns n greens. also, wouldn't rule out early topwater. be prepared for lots of rocky bluffs and points, and a little red clay too. The lake is fairly deep with several areas over 100'. lately the smallmouth population has exploded, doubtful they will win you a tournament but could provide a kicker fish here and there. Let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love that lake. You never know what you will catch. I couldn't tell you how to fish for them this time of year, but my buddy and I got into them real good in March one year. It must have been pre spawn because they were stacked on a long tapering point in a creek arm. We would catch 2 or 3 each drift throwing Flitterbaits and burning them back. That was some skinny water, but we wore them out. It was a good mix of large jaws and small jaws. The biggest was a 4 lb smallie. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I'll enjoy fishing the lake! Hopefully I come back with a story worth telling.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got back from Cherokee last night which means I did not make the top 12 cut for today. It was a tough tournament overall. At least, it was for me. Thursday, I didn't catch a keeper, while my boater caught 2. Friday, I caught around 5 bass before noon. One was my only keeper. It was a largemouth that weighed 2-12. I also caught a smallmouth that was every bit of 17 and 15/16th". It just wouldn't touch 18" so I had to throw about 3 lbs of smallie back. That hurt... About mid day it started to rain pretty hard and our bite shut down. I finished 69th for the tournament. Not as good as I would have liked, but making it to the Regional in my first year was good enough for me.

As far as the top 12 go, there are 4 Kentucky guys fishing on the boater side and 3 fishing on the co-boater side. Congrats to them for making it to Saturday!