Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle question

Post Thanks / Like

Rifle question

Ok my daughter (and me) want a good all around rifle that is capable of bringing down a deer and taking care of buisness 100yards away..if needed. My question is in your alls opinion what would be a good easy to maintain,easy to learn rifle that would fit my needs.30-06,308,I love the old 45's I think like the rifleman carries. Plus one that I woundn't have a problem finding ammo for. I saw a 30-06 with a scope at the pawn shop a couple weeks back for around 350$ is this a good price? any thoughts on the subject would be great. Thanks Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck I hunt personally with a 30.06 and it is a great deer rifle. The others you mentioned are also nice and will get the job done. Ammo is super available for the 30-06 as well. The price you mentioned depending on what it is could be a good price and maybe not.

Call me if you want, are you taking up deer hunting? Me might know a thing or two bout that, LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    Ok my daughter (and me) want a good all around rifle that is capable of bringing down a deer and taking care of buisness 100yards away..if needed. My question is in your alls opinion what would be a good easy to maintain,easy to learn rifle that would fit my needs.30-06,308,I love the old 45's I think like the rifleman carries. Plus one that I woundn't have a problem finding ammo for. I saw a 30-06 with a scope at the pawn shop a couple weeks back for around 350$ is this a good price? any thoughts on the subject would be great. Thanks Chuck
    I sukk at deer hunting but have hunted with folks who are good at it. Since we were hunting small plots I chose to use my 30-30 since the shots would be short at 100 yards or less. I have a 30-06 for and if I ever get to hunt an area that may let me hunt a bigger plot of land.
    My novice opinion is you have to be careful of buying a gun at a pawn shop unless there is some sort of return program. What if you purchased it and get out to shoot it and something is off? My 30-06 is used as well but I got it from a buddy who needed cash and I trusted him....I know where he lives!!!! Good luck and if I lived close to Mark I would let him look it over first!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck when you go fishing you go BIG when you buy a rifle go BIG nothing smaller than 50 caliber yea that will bring down a deer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    Chuck when you go fishing you go BIG when you buy a rifle go BIG nothing smaller than 50 caliber yea that will bring down a deer
    Dang he might actually want something besides burger and jerky to take home, lol...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Chuck I hunt personally with a 30.06 and it is a great deer rifle. The others you mentioned are also nice and will get the job done. Ammo is super available for the 30-06 as well. The price you mentioned depending on what it is could be a good price and maybe not.

Call me if you want, are you taking up deer hunting? Me might know a thing or two bout that, LOL
    Oh believe me brother if I do take up deer hunting you'll be the first one I call lol. My daughter is actually really interested in wanting to hunt,I just want something around the house if ever SHTF and I need to feed my family or protect them. I did really like the 30-06 and it seemed like a good price but like you said it all depends. I might have to give you a call, we can go have a couple beers and do some man shopping LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I sukk at deer hunting but have hunted with folks who are good at it. Since we were hunting small plots I chose to use my 30-30 since the shots would be short at 100 yards or less. I have a 30-06 for and if I ever get to hunt an area that may let me hunt a bigger plot of land.
    My novice opinion is you have to be careful of buying a gun at a pawn shop unless there is some sort of return program. What if you purchased it and get out to shoot it and something is off? My 30-06 is used as well but I got it from a buddy who needed cash and I trusted him....I know where he lives!!!! Good luck and if I lived close to Mark I would let him look it over first!!!
    Don I hear you on the pawn shop you just never know.As far as Mark being close I'm pretty sure he jogs to the pawn shop I'm talking about LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    LOL it would save time with the field dressing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    Oh believe me brother if I do take up deer hunting you'll be the first one I call lol. My daughter is actually really interested in wanting to hunt,I just want something around the house if ever SHTF and I need to feed my family or protect them. I did really like the 30-06 and it seemed like a good price but like you said it all depends. I might have to give you a call, we can go have a couple beers and do some man shopping LOL.
    Yes we can do that......Cabelas has some nice used guns that are decently priced. Like Don said there can be great guns at a pawn shop and some not so nice ones...

Post Thanks / Like
    I work at a gun shop and for that price I think you should look at the Savage Axis. It is a great gun with a weaver scope already mounted on it. Price is in the low $400's but if you buy one before Dec there is a $50 mail in rebate on it. Get it in the 243. If your daughter uses it you can get her some of the Hornady 243 reduced recoil bullets for it. It has the adjustable trigger on it. Goes all the way down to 2.5lbs trigger pull. It is a great gun for the money! If you have any more questions please just ask. I will be glad to help and I love helping kids get into hunting. I might could even get you a good deal in exchange for a cat fishing trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Second That Comment

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Yes we can do that......Cabelas has some nice used guns that are decently priced. Like Don said there can be great guns at a pawn shop and some not so nice ones...
    Great suggestion, I just bought a Ruger Stainless Ranch Carbine outta the "used" gun rack. It was actually 100% (brand new condition) and after about 1 minute of haggling :-) was able to get it down $100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CATCHEMALL View Post
    I work at a gun shop and for that price I think you should look at the Savage Axis. It is a great gun with a weaver scope already mounted on it. Price is in the low $400's but if you buy one before Dec there is a $50 mail in rebate on it. Get it in the 243. If your daughter uses it you can get her some of the Hornady 243 reduced recoil bullets for it. It has the adjustable trigger on it. Goes all the way down to 2.5lbs trigger pull. It is a great gun for the money! If you have any more questions please just ask. I will be glad to help and I love helping kids get into hunting. I might could even get you a good deal in exchange for a cat fishing trip!
    Real good advice here. I started to bring up the lighter caliber but it sounded like it was more for you instead of the daughter, plus she is old enough now to handle the bigger bang. Still good stuff here by catchemall....