Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bob Coan inventor of Bob's Bobber passes

I regret to inform those with ties to Dale Hollow Lake that Bob Coan one of the Great Guides who helped to develop the Float n Fly method of fishing for winter smallies has passed away. He died Saturday, October 18th. There will be no funeral or services, as Bob did not want that. Bob was a close friend and mentor to me (Jim Dicken) and will be sorely missed. Bob was a big part of all 3 of the Fishin.com get together's at Dale Hollow for a Float N' Fly Weekend. If you have ever bought a Bob's Bobber, he was the inventor of that device. I fondly remember making them at his table by cutting a bobber in half, burning the hole slightly with a cigarette, the only thing that really did the job right. Taking the weight from the bottom and putting it in the middle of the bobber, and then gluing it all back together. Fun times. No expressions of sympathy, are being taken, but if you must... Buy a Bob's Bobber and when you throw it this winter, just say this one is for you Bob.
    Likes PRO V LE, jmike, roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin.com post View Post
    I regret to inform those with ties to Dale Hollow Lake that Bob Coan one of the Great Guides who helped to develop the Float n Fly method of fishing for winter smallies has passed away. He died Saturday, October 18th. There will be no funeral or services, as Bob did not want that. Bob was a close friend and mentor to me (Jim Dicken) and will be sorely missed. Bob was a big part of all 3 of the Fishin.com get together's at Dale Hollow for a Float N' Fly Weekend. If you have ever bought a Bob's Bobber, he was the inventor of that device. I fondly remember making them at his table by cutting a bobber in half, burning the hole slightly with a cigarette, the only thing that really did the job right. Taking the weight from the bottom and putting it in the middle of the bobber, and then gluing it all back together. Fun times. No expressions of sympathy, are being taken, but if you must... Buy a Bob's Bobber and when you throw it this winter, just say this one is for you Bob.
    Thanks for the info

I have plenty, but will buy some just because!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very sorry to hear this sad news about Bob...he definitely was one of the best guides and we will miss him. I remember meeting him many years ago and talking to him as I was thinking about starting my guide business. He gave me some good advice obviously. He is in my prayers today for sure.

Dave
    Likes GeoFisher, peter, roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Always sorry to hear these things may he rest in peace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sad to hear. I have a bunch of those bobbers. I didn't get the privilege of meeting him at the 2 get-togethers I went to at Dale Hollow.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob Floa t& Fly Video

Here is a video Jim and I took with Bob down at Dale several years ago.

It is flash format so it won't work on iphone (apple products) -not sure about other phones.

It takes a few seconds to start.

http://www.fishin.com/video/coan-fnf/coan-fnf.htm

Thanks for takin us fishin bob.
    Likes Wormin, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very sorry to hear that. Met and fished with Bob about 15 years ago to learn the F n F technique. Was a day full of very good information and tips. My son still remembers Bob rinsing the jelly out of a can of Vienna Sausages in the lake and then eating them.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.uptonfuneralhome.com/obit...14678_Bob2.jpg
    Met Bob a couple of times at Dale Hollow. Sorry to hear of his passing. Bob's Obit:

Robert Elvin Coan, 70CELINA– Robert Elvin Coan, age 70 of Celina, Tennessee passed away Saturday, October 18, 2014 at the Cumberland River Hospital in Celina, Tennessee. Robert Elvin Coan was born April 9, 1944 in Harlan County, Kentucky to the late James E. Coan and Edith (Gilliam) Sumpter. He was retired from Ford Motor Company in Louisville, Kentucky and was a fishing guide on Dale Hollow Lake. Besides his parents he was preceded in death by a grandson, Gregory D. Barclay, in 1991.He is survived by his Companion of 15 Years, Connie Spivey of Celina, TN; Daughters, Laura Smith of Danville, IN., and Michele (Jeffrey) Evans of Jeffersonville, IN.; Son, Robert (Jill) Coan II of Floyds Knobs, IN; [COLOR=#222222]4 Grandchildren: Sara K. Smith, Traci E. Smith, Amanda R. Coan, and Robert C. Coan. [/COLOR]Bob was also survived by Connie's children and grandchildren whom was very special to him, [COLOR=#222222]Daughter, Joni (Dustin) Vibbert of Illinois; Connie's [/COLOR]Son, Timmy (Jessica) Dulworth of Celina, TN.; Connie's Grandchildren, Colton Dulworth, Emma Dulworth, Dawson Brown Vibbert, Kallie Vibbert and Lily Ana Vibbert
    The family has honored Bob's wishes with Direct Cremation with no services .

Post Thanks / Like

Bob Coan

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin.com post View Post
    Really sorry to hear this, but nearly every family member who might have known it has died. Bob was my year-younger cousin, we spent summers together when I was at my grandparents' house in Cumberland, Ky. We built lean-tos, bows and arrows and whips from Pawpaw trees, they grew like weeds then. Later, we polished our white bucks white and the soles blue. His grandad and mine were big fishermen and squirrel hunters. By fishing, they mainly understood walking over two ridges, standing in the river all day and then walking home again with wet shoes. And with no food or water. They were descended from the 2nd family to settle beneath Black Mountain, their ancestors (probably still speaking German) came over from the region near Bristol in 1812. Bob and I basically grew up together until I was old enough to drive, and didn't visit my grandparents much until I was much older than old enough to drive. When I was a teenager my dad was a Mercury dealer in Middlesboro. When Bob bought his first bass boat he was a big Mercury man, and for long afterward. Can anyone tell me what he was running in the last years?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1995.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	10069  

Post Thanks / Like
    Had the great pleasure of fishing with him a few times a few years ago. Even though I knew he didn't feel well he was great explaining the float n fly to me. I believe we talked fishing more than actual fishing. Great guy with great knowledge.
    This past summer I thought I saw his boat at the state park marina in a slip. If it wasn't , it looked really similar to the one he and I fished from.
    My sincere condolences to his family and friends.